Curves

Options
Does anyone belong to the club of Curves as far as a fitness program and if so what you pay and if its worth it? There are so many gyms but cost is an issue for me

Replies

• amysuespears
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness. There is a circuit training area there (like curves has), but it only costs $10/month for a PF membership! It's very cost effective, plus they have free personal trainers if you would like to use one. I find that I burn a ton of calories using the circuit at PF. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    many gyms have a one week trial period. why don't you try that?
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use Curves and are very happy with them. I like the ladies only environment. Our UK price is £34 per month and I go three times a week. You can have as much one to one time with the ladies as you need which i really like and find I don't get in a "normal" gym.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My understanding, though I've only heard through friends, is that after the introductory period Curves is the same price, if not more, that a traditional gym. Plus it has a hefty signup fee.

If you're thinking of it because of price you may want to shop around. If you're thinking of it because you like the set up, go for it.

Not sure where you are but through Costco (you don't have to have a membership to use their online) you can get 2 years at 24 hour fitness for $319 and there is no sign up fees.
  • KitCatMcG
    KitCatMcG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I went for a while and I enjoyed the program,but there was one lady (one of trainers) who drove me nuts! She was the reason I stopped going. Exercise wise I thought it was good. And I liked that it was designed to be done in 30 minutes.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Curves is around $30 a month. It is a women's only environment and is a "no thinking" workout. So you don't have to wonder "what am I going to do next?"

I think it gives you a great circuit workout - it works as hard as you work. When I went I would burn right around 300 calories in about 35 minutes. If I wanted a longer workout, i just went around the circuit again.

The only downside for me where the hours, at many Curves, they are pretty limited, so you may want to check that out..

In the end, yes, it is just as expensive if not more then a "normal" gym, but if its something you'll do and you'll be more comfortable at, who cares??
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love Curves. I have only been going for 6 weeks and have already lost 4 inches off my waist. Dont know where you are, but someone else has mentioned UK price is £34 per month, this is just a little cheaper than most other gyms. There has also been mention of the joining fee, which in the UK is £149, however they do run regular promotions where there is no joining fee. Some studios will also give you a one week or two week trial. If you can afford the monthly fee, I would most definitely recommend it.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've just joined Gold's gym here and was able to get a great rate through AAA. If you're a AAA member, you might want to check it out.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    To everyone that keeps mentioning other gyms with lower rates - yes they are out there - no doubt!!

However, the environments are very different --- there is no comparing the two - both have pros and cons.

Curves is a very set circuit --- you go in a circle from Resistance machine to cardio to resistance to cardio..... There is a social aspect since everyone is facing each other and some accountability since normally the same people are there at the same time each day. It does not offer variety in changing up your workouts (beyond how fast you move the resistance machine so adding more or less resistance or how hard you work the cardio)

So, yes - other gyms are cheaper!! But you need to decide what environment that is right for YOU! Price isn't the only factor. (PS: I don't go to any gym now - I go to my basement so I'm unbiased :) I have been and like both traditional gyms and Curves)
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It does not offer variety in changing up your workouts (beyond how fast you move the resistance machine so adding more or less resistance or how hard you work the cardio)

A really big negative in my book. It may help you get started, but your body adjusts to your workout if you don't change it. with doing the same thing, you're going to get decreasing results.