Cardio, but not using my legs too much?

Options
Some days I have to lift and do cardio -- I can't really make it to the gym 6 days a week -- but it's hard to do heavy cardio when I'm working on my lower body. If I lift first, I can barely get a run in because my legs are tired. If I run first, my sets are awful.

What can I do at the gym that would qualify as heavy cardio that doesn't require me using my legs so viciously?

Replies

• IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it would qualify as heavy cardio but what about rowing?
  • sbeigle
    Options
    Kickboxing sans kicking--you can get great cardio just from squatting with your legs wide and doing the punching!
  • lazywriter
    Options
    That qualifies as reasonably vigorous upper body exercise, hahaha. I may try the elliptical, but I really don't like that machine and I don't "get" why women flock to them.
  • lazywriter
    Options
    Kickboxing sans kicking--you can get great cardio just from squatting with your legs wide and doing the punching!

I love kickboxing, but I need a video to follow or something! I can't just squat and punch at the gym. It's so tiny, I'll take someone out. LOL
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm a lover of the elliptical, the primary reason is that I have knee and hip pain and it's low impact. Running and walking stomps on my joints, where as the elliptical doesn't have that much pressure. Plus with being able to add resistance, it has great strengthening I think. I LOVE the elliptical! :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Some days I have to lift and do cardio -- I can't really make it to the gym 6 days a week -- but it's hard to do heavy cardio when I'm working on my lower body. If I lift first, I can barely get a run in because my legs are tired. If I run first, my sets are awful.

What can I do at the gym that would qualify as heavy cardio that doesn't require me using my legs so viciously?

If you have a pool you can swim
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

If you have a pool you can swim

was just going to say that! lap swimming is intense :O especially since I cant swim so I swim like im trying to save my life the whole time xD
  • jamamm
    jamamm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What about working your lower body WHILE you do cardio? I do side lunges with squats, with a resistance band around my ankles. If I do them relatively quickly, and a bunch of them (I go across the gym and back 3 times) I get a REALLY good cardio, and a great burn in my thighs...

For warmups, when I know I'm doing a lot of lower body stuff, I usually do the stationary bike. It doesn't give you a GREAT cardio, but it does warm up the muscles before you work them. Then I tend to do my real cardio AFTER, and limit it to about 15 minutes (because by that time I'm about to die, lol.)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    agree with swimming. Use a pull boey. Sometimes they even have a machine that has paddles for your arms, and a rubber strap, that you pull yourself up on. I have no idea what this thing is called. But it simulates swimming and is more cardio that strength.
  • patrick77327
    Options
    On days where you are lifting your legs about the only cardio you need is a light warmup before and a cool down after. If you try to do heavy cardio you can over train your legs and it will take much more time for your legs to heal and get ready for the next training (such as cardio the following day). By doing too much, you can actually harm your muscles. Working large groups of muscles such as the legs is enough cardio because it takes alot of energy to train to those muscles so while your heart rate doesn't stay up like it would in cardio sessions, you will continue to burn calories when your legs are healing after lifting. If you look at most workout plans by trainers, in most cases they will leave out heavy cardio on leg days. Remember, your muscles need time to rest. Also, if you lift your legs heavy the next day usually is a day off from exercise all together unless you are lifting the upper body and again leaving out heavy cardio the following day because large muscles need at least 48 hours to recover. Many people think that your body isn't doing anything during the periods of rest but really it's doing a lot.