Eating more to lose more

Options
I just recently quit WW and decided to only use this app. I have used it along side of WW for a while now but WW is telling me 1,200 is my calories and I def need more. I have been eating 1,450/day and I think I am on the right track. Anyone else start eating more cals and the weight loss came quicker? I was told to use goal weight x's 12 to calculate weight loss calories.

Replies

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    What do you think you were eating on an average day before?

If it was more than 1450, then cutting down to that is going to be a step in the right direction.

If you limit it too much it just becomes miserable and difficult to stick to it, so just do what you can, as long as it's going the right way from your previous lifestyle then it's good! :)
  • CholeRoad
    CholeRoad Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started eating around 1700 calories daily in November and by the beginning of February I had brought it down to 1400 calories. In that time I lost around 10lbs.

Two weeks ago after learning about metabolic adaptation I decided to up my calories. I have increased my calories to 1800 for 2 weeks and this week my calories will be 1900 on average. My weight has actually gone down and so has my fat percentage.

I will be increasing my calories every two weeks until my fat % increases. I am 5 ft 1.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    More calories give you more energy to live and move around, not enough calories make you lethargic and less likely to move your kitten.

This.

I'm eating close to what my sedentary maintenance would be, per mfp - the thing is, I'm 1-) Moving more and 2-) Have built more muscle from moving more. I don't do a lot of intentional exercise (little bit of weight stuff, but that's not burning many calories in and of itself) but right now if I eat the .5lb deficit I'm seeing myself lose more like 1.25lbs a week (I only just noticed this because I don't weigh often, usually). It's a little bit wild and I will probably go back to doing some adjustments because if I can eat more and lose, I'm going to eat more.
  • rosiemydog
    rosiemydog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Team RH - Ritchie makes so much sense. I’m on 1800 cals and losing every week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I started eating around 1700 calories daily in November and by the beginning of February I had brought it down to 1400 calories. In that time I lost around 10lbs.

Two weeks ago after learning about metabolic adaptation I decided to up my calories. I have increased my calories to 1800 for 2 weeks and this week my calories will be 1900 on average. My weight has actually gone down and so has my fat percentage.

I will be increasing my calories every two weeks until my fat % increases. I am 5 ft 1.

Hoping you come back to your other thread to answer our questions about this strategy :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10826410/increasing-my-calories-for-better-fat-loss
  • CholeRoad
    Options
    @kshama2001
    I trust you have seen my replies.
  • CholeRoad
    Options
    @Kimmys_Big_50_2021
    How is the diet going?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You were probably eating more than you thought with WW. Their point system is unnecessarily complicated and inaccurate in the name of simplicity.

As long as you maintain a deficit, you'll keep losing weight. There's no reason weight loss would speed up with more calories, unless you are also doing more physically to burn those same calories off.