Elliptical vs running

Options
Why is it that i sweat a lot more when I am on my elliptical then when i run on the road? I love to run, it fits me better. I just feel like I get more out of the machine. Its like I just got out of the shower compaired to walking through a mist.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Probably because you don't have the wind cooling you down, and either you don't heat up enough to sweat due to this or your sweat evaporates almost right away.

Running is a much better exercise as it translates into "real world" movements and improvements, whereas the elliptical is good cardio and may help endurance somewhat but the movement does not translate into anything you will ever do in the "real world".
  • surabhit
    surabhit Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I get more from the elliptical than running too. Although I can't run outside because my head freezes in the wind. Would love to know whether there's any advantage or superiority for either.
  • FitForties
    Options
    I have the same experience, for me I tend to run very slowly, and I seem to be able to crank it up more on the elliptical. I track my HR and calories and find I get in a higher zone with the elliptical and burn more calories.

Congratulations by the way on your statistics, 60 lbs. lost is awesome!
  • nattiepeach
    nattiepeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know more about the pros and cons. I mix up treadmill and elliptical, but obviously elliptical is healthier in the long run, for joints etc. I suppose that as long as you are burning enough calories, either is good enough right?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know more about the pros and cons. I mix up treadmill and elliptical, but obviously elliptical is healthier in the long run, for joints etc. I suppose that as long as you are burning enough calories, either is good enough right?

I don't know. It depends what you're after, I suspect. Running is harder physical work, gets a very good view, and as someone said upthread, it translates into real world activity better. I also just enjoy it a whole lot more, and it makes me feel tough and strong - which in turn makes me feel more able to tackle the whole weightloss thing.

I like the elliptical - it's my cardio of choice in the gym. But if I had a straight choice, I'd choose running.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My calorie burn is much higher running vs eliptical. i.e 30 mins run I burn over 400cals, 30 mins eliptical is about 300ish. But I get a lot hotter on the eliptical simply because it's indoors.
  • kacbldmm07
    Options
    Thanks!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running is tougher than the elliptical. Elliptical is a great way to cross train without all the impact, but if you want to run, you need the impact.