SOOOOOO OFF TRACK

Options
I need some serious help focusing and staying motivated. Gained about 40 lbs over the last year, and this is after keeping off about 130 that I had lost since 2012. I feel like I don’t even recognize myself. I don’t have any energy, and I’ve been so buried in stress that my attention span on healthy habits is shorter than its ever been. Could use some help feeling like I can bounce back. Haven’t seen this part of the rabbit hole in awhile.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    i feel your pain. your story, down to the numbers, is mine lol

I've lost 20 of what I've gained. more to go, but I'm back on track most days ;)

For me a MAJOR bout of depression had a lot to do with my gain. Getting back in therapy has helped with that (medications have little to no effect on me but therapy works magic)

it does take time to GET back into old habits. start like you did from the beginning. small. sustainable. dont focus on big goals or numbers. for me, i started by logging my food again. Then added in regular exercise. I still only 'require' 3 days x 30 minutes each time. if i do that, I'm happy. Usually i do more.

you are welcome to add me if you'd like, but i will warn you. i post a lot, and most of it has little to nothing to do with weight loss. I talk about my dogs, our farm, daily life. i do log all my food and its open for anyone to see. i rarely comment or even like on auto generated posts, but if you actually SAY something in a post, assuming MFP lets me see it... I'll almost always comment.
  • NickiNew22
    NickiNew22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to both of you! I have been thinking about taking a week off just to at least get one thing off my plate and clear the decks, so I can focus. Decided that midnight (11 minutes ago) marks a new week, and I’m going to try to make it my first full successful week in awhile. Going to set daily goals including calorie intake, activity, and tracking, and use whatever I can to remind myself of what I can do. Praying it goes well. Thank you both again!
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I so recognise this! The only thing I can suggest is don’t try to do everything all at once, and now. Some people are hugely strong and determined. Maybe you are (if so ignore me!).

I’m not, so when I started (again) I just said. For 1 day I will drink a glass of water before eating anything, and NO BISCUITS!

At the end of the day I thought: that was ok, I’ll do it again tomorrow. No biscuits, drink water.

Maybe start easy. Add something small that makes you feel better. Take something small away that makes you feel bad. It’s not a race. Every day you can add good stuff and remove bad stuff is a good day. And tomorrow is even better ☺️

Best of luck x
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,076 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    i feel your pain. your story, down to the numbers, is mine lol

I've lost 20 of what I've gained. more to go, but I'm back on track most days ;)

For me a MAJOR bout of depression had a lot to do with my gain. Getting back in therapy has helped with that (medications have little to no effect on me but therapy works magic)

it does take time to GET back into old habits. start like you did from the beginning. small. sustainable. dont focus on big goals or numbers. for me, i started by logging my food again. Then added in regular exercise. I still only 'require' 3 days x 30 minutes each time. if i do that, I'm happy. Usually i do more.

you are welcome to add me if you'd like, but i will warn you. i post a lot, and most of it has little to nothing to do with weight loss. I talk about my dogs, our farm, daily life. i do log all my food and its open for anyone to see. i rarely comment or even like on auto generated posts, but if you actually SAY something in a post, assuming MFP lets me see it... I'll almost always comment.

Sorry to just butt in here, I just wanted to ask you something if you don't mind, what sort of therapy did you use for depression?
    I've been trying different medications over the last few months and not much affect. So I'm thinking maybe they don't work so great for me either.
    So I was wondering what therapies you used?
    Thanks