1 month in success?

Options
Hey everyone! I’m tasking myself with a possibly difficult goal of losing 10 pounds in a month. I thrive off of others success so drop a before and after, some advice, or whatever you want to help inspire me ☺️

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article on natural diuretics, just don't expect it to stay gone when you rehydrate ;)

The 8 Best Natural Diuretics to Eat or Drink - Healthline
  • gionrogado
    gionrogado Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    more than 2 lbs a week is aggressive weight loss. personally, i lost an average of 3kg (6.6lb) per month. and i was doing 1 hour of body weight exercises everyday and maintaining at 1500 calories. no cheat or rest days. think about your target there

now i'm just lifting every other day and eating at 1800 calories, maintaining at 65kg (143lbs)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany, you don't say how heavy you are at the moment. But considering you only want to lose 10lbs I assume you're not morbidly obese. Please told you that it's not possible to lose 10lbs in a month, and that's likely very true.

Lets assume your maintenance calories are 2000 calories per day.
    In order to lose a bit more than 2lbs per week to hit your goal you'd need a calorie deficit of 1166 calories each day
    This would get your calorie intake down to 834 calories per day. Which is not only unhealthy, but you won't keep it up for a month, you'll be miserable, lose hair, lose muscles instead of fat, and potentially binge and lose all the progress you made. Plus us women are 'blessed' with water weight fluctuations. 1 month is too little to really see results. 6 weeks is more realistic to see that things are heading the right direction. So please take it slow and in a sustainable way.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hi...I really hope that you do have weight loss success this month, I'm definitely rooting for you! :)

However, as everyone else said above, 10 lbs in one month is a really aggressive and possibly unrealistic goal (depending on your starting weight). The only way this could possibly happen would be a big water weight drop in the beginning, but again that usually depends on what your starting weight is. Just remember that *any* weight loss is still a win, so please don't get discouraged if you don't reach that goal. With weight loss, it's usually best to set the expectations bar lower, ESPECIALLY your first month when your body is still adjusting to the calorie deficit and new exercise, and extra true for women because of hormones. With life goals we're usually taught that being aggressive is good, but weight loss is a completely different animal (unless we're talking about a health emergency, then that's different)

Even if you lose 2 or 3 lbs, that's still awesome! Developong new exercise and new healthy habits that you can stick with are also a win!

I know it sounds like people above are being naysayers, but it's only because we've been there and don't want you to be disappointed or do unhealthy things just to reach the goal. Everyone generally wants to be helpful here. There is always great advice to be found, so be sure to read all of the "stickies" posts!

Good luck to you!
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Partly mimicking Dragon above.

I would say, yes it's aggressive... (and I don't recommend this) But assuming you don't want to loose 10 pounds of pure fat, and are okay with some of that weight being water... You might stand a chance to lose 10 pounds relatively safely by trying keto for a month. The first week, will deplete whatever whatever glycogen stores you have in your liver and muscle mass. (not sure how much that might be for someone of "normal" size... However I'm assuming it could be 3-5 pounds in your case... Which would mean then you only need to loose 5-7 pounds of fat. Maybe eat MFP's suggested calories, and immediately start 30 minutes of fairly high intensity cardio vascular work 4-5 times a week or as many days your comfortable with. Note you want to start right away, as this exercise is likely cause you to gain water weight at first, but should level out by the end of the month.

Again none of that is guaranteed, and it's a lot of work.... Might be easier just to stretch it out an extra month or 2, and eat well balanced while not having to dramatically increase aerobic activity.
  • lhcp12
    lhcp12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I expect that losing 10 pounds in a month is likely an unreasonable goal. Personally, I have been tracking consistently for the last 73 days (2.5 months) and have lost 7.9 pounds which is a little bit higher than the 0.5pounds/week I have been aiming for since I only have about 25 pounds to lose in total. Playing with diuretics to lose water weight, over exercising or under eating are not worth a number on the scale. Set yourself up for success by making a reasonable goal and working towards it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    could you do it?

probably.

wouldnt be healthy though, and you'd gain it back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I’m tasking myself with a possibly difficult goal of losing 10 pounds in a month. I thrive off of others success so drop a before and after, some advice, or whatever you want to help inspire me ☺️

For one month success, I'd suggest the following goals (or maybe just one of them):

* Log everything eaten, good, bad or ugly, and learn from it
    * Figure out an eating routine that results in some weight loss, that you can stick to for weeks and months to come, because that's how long it takes to lose any significant amount of weight and stay in thriving good health and best possible appearance while doing it
    * Get enough good-quality sleep, if possible
    * Start making habits of being just a manageable bit more active (not necessarily formal exercise, can just be moving more in daily life)
    * At the end of them month, use your food log totals and scale-weight results to figure out whether MFP's calorie estimate is right for you, or a bit high/low, then adjust as needed

I'd recommend against a number of pounds goal, especially in the first month, *especially* an aggressive goal like 10 pounds, 2.5 pounds a week. That rate might be OK if severely obese, under close medical supervision, otherwise
    . . . iffy, for keeping health risk and sustainability in good places.

Background for saying these things: In 2015-16, I lost almost a third of my bodyweight, from class 1 obese to a healthy weight, at age 59-60, while hypothyroid, after about 30 years of having been obese before that. I've stayed at a healthy weight since, 5+ years now.

You can succeed. How you define success is part of achieving it. Most of us want to reach a healthy weight, in a healthy way, and stay there. Losing fast doesn't necessarily contribute to that kind of success.

Wishing you all the best!