I'm new, excited and need a little motivation!

Hi everyone. My name is Jennifer and although I have "used" MFP before, I am committing myself to it now. I am 45 years old and my goal is to be in the best shape of my life at 50. I was a smoker and probably a "functional" alcoholic for years. But 8 weeks ago, I gave up the smoking and the over indulgence in alcohol. I have had 2-3 drinks since then. I have also began exercising 3-4 days a week pretty rigorously. I am in need of some motivation. I really thought that giving up 6-900 calories A DAY in alcohol would make the pounds fall off - that has not happened. I am not eating any more now than I did, but I do enjoy a few more sweets. Since I started exercising I have gained 3-4 lbs. I do have a pretty muscular build but still.....its not encouraging to see that.

Thanks for letting me vent for a few and I look forward to yet a new goal. BTW, I am here to help me lost about 35-40 pounds. To put it out there, I am currently 5'5 and weigh 193lbs (6lbs less than when I gave birth, lol). I would like to get to 150-160 - like I said, I do not have a small frame.

Replies

• WaterLily82
    WaterLily82 Posts: 165 Member
    Hi Jennifer! Nice to meet you! It sounds like you’re making lots of positive changes...good for you! Change is so hard! But you’re doing great!!

I’m relatively new to MFP, too. A little about me...I’m 38, have 2 teenagers and am on a weight loss journey to ultimately lose 165 lbs. it sounds so impossible but I’m taking baby steps!

Good luck on your weight loss! You’ve got this ❤️
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    Your new exercise routine could be causing quite a bit of water retention, making fat loss on the scale. Giving up alcohol can also have an effect on your water weight (alcohol dehydrates).

Aside from that, it might be worthwhile checking how accurate your food logging is, are you weighing everything you eat and checking that you're using correct database entries?