Constipation

Hi I've been doing a low carb diet for 5 weeks, I've lost 10lb but I'm very constipated even though I am drinking lots of water, any advice please

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited March 2021
    Raspberries and blackberries are low carb friendly, contain a lot of fiber, and have a lot of sweetness for very little sugar.

I buy them frozen when they are out of season. Very economical, and they don't go bad. For those of you local to Market Basket, the store brand has the best prices.

Also, how's your low carb veggie intake?

https://www.wholelifechallenge.com/10-healthy-and-high-fiber-foods-that-are-also-low-carb/
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    I take a tablespoon of psyllium husk every day in a glass of water. It doesn't have a taste to it at all. You can buy it in bulk from most health food stores and it's cheap... You could also use Metamucil or something similar.

Would you say you're eating enough greens, and salads etc?

I myself try to shoot for 30gm of fiber a day.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    How is your fat intake, as well?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Some sugar substitutes can trigger constipation. Have you changed your diet recently to include a lot of sugar free products?

I have to be cautious with products containing erithritol.

Kefir has a near instantaneous reaction with me. Guess all those extra probiotics get right down to work. I use it in smoothies, puddings etc when I have an...errr....need for it. YMMV.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I too take psyllium husk, one teaspoon in the morning and one in the evening in a glass of fruit squash followed by another glass of fruit squash.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Fiber - fat - fluids - and movement.

There are 2 types of fiber, both are important. Gradually increase fiber (if it's low) or you could feel really uncomfortable. https://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Fiber - fat - fluids - and movement.

There are 2 types of fiber, both are important. Gradually increase fiber (if it's low) or you could feel really uncomfortable. https://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers

Oh yeah... Silly not to mention water, it's not the easiest thing to drink for many people... But doing so does help a lot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Bevhewitt wrote: »
    Hi I've been doing a low carb diet for 5 weeks, I've lost 10lb but I'm very constipated even though I am drinking lots of water, any advice please

If you're low carb, it's quite likely that you aren't getting enough fiber since fiber is a subset of carbohydrates.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    I forgot to mention that I take a magnesium supplement (powder, but comes in pill form too) every day. This too will help.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    11Templars wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that I take a magnesium supplement (powder, but comes in pill form too) every day. This too will help.

Is it magnesium oxide? I take a different form of magnesium and it has no laxative effect, but I've heard oxide does help with this.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    When I was doing low carb I had to take a fiber pill every day. It helped.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Psyllium Husk FTW! I take the supplement capsules rather than the powder. My IBS is gone. Seriously.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Fiber will help if fiber is the problem (on a low carb diet, which is generally higher fat, it probably is).

If fiber is not the problem, increasing fiber will make it worse, maybe lots worse. I don't really want to go into detail about how I know this, but it's experiential.

For generic calorie-cutters, it's not too unusual for fat to be the problem, because folks often abruptly increase fiber-rich foods (such as veggies), but cut fat back to punitively low levels (because high in calories). Recipe for constipation, right there.

"Fiber - fat - fluids - and movement" as TeaBea said. Maybe magnesium or prebiotics/probiotics if the preceding don't work.