Too little calories?

Options
Hi I’ve been put on 1390 calories however I’ve read that this is too low for anyone? Please advise

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,272 Member
    Options
    You're going to need to give more information...

Put on 1390 calories by whom? By MFP?
    What are your stats (age, height, weight), what's your goal weight and what weight loss rate and activity level did you choose?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Who put you on that? MFP?

1,390 would be too low for many people, but just right for some others. Not knowing anything about you, it's impossible to say.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Averaged over a week (I IF three days a week) that is about what I have now I am smaller and in the home straight after losing 9 stone.

Works for me but we are all different - different sex, height and activities levels - so it is a very personal thing.
  • ybeavis1
    ybeavis1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It’s similar to my calorie ‘allowance’, but I’m a short, older female. We would need to know more about you to give you any advice.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    That's hard to say without knowing your gender, height, starting weight, and activity level and exercise. Are you talking about 1390 calories gross (meaning that's all you eat, and don't eat back exercise calories) or 1390 calories net (meaning 1390 + exercise, which is what you're supposed to be doing with the MFP method.).

When I tell MFP I want to lose 1 lb per week, it calculates 1310 calories for me (female, 5'5", 168 lbs, activity set to sedentary). My Fitbit tracks my activity and I usually workout every day and get 15000 steps at least as my daily goal. I eat around 2100 calories total a day and still lose at close to the expected rate. I'm about 15 lbs outside of the healthy BMI range for me, but once I'm within about 10 lbs of it, I'm switching from 1 lb a week to .5 a week so my calorie goals don't get too low.
  • ZM786110
    ZM786110 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Age - 25
    Kg - 66
    Height - 5ft 4inch
    I’m lightly active I suppose! I hope this helps?! Also it’s not allowing me to reply directly so I hope one of you sees this! Thank you
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    ZM786110 wrote: »
    Age - 25
    Kg - 66
    Height - 5ft 4inch
    I’m lightly active I suppose! I hope this helps?! Also it’s not allowing me to reply directly so I hope one of you sees this! Thank you

What rate of weight loss did you select? (E.g. "lose 1lb per week")
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    ZM786110 wrote: »
    Age - 25
    Kg - 66
    Height - 5ft 4inch

1390 seems pretty low. How fast are you trying to lose? At 66kg (around 145 lbs) and 5'4" (around 163cm), you're just about at the boundary between normal and overweight BMI (24.9), so you might still be able to get away with a half kg a week for a short bit, but 0.25 kg/week might be better. (It does take 0.25 kg/week a while to show up clearly on the scale, though, amongst normal daily water weight fluctuations - not a reason not to do it, just something to be aware of.)

Your BMR (amount you'd burn in a coma) ought to be around 1400, total calorie needs to maintain (not MFP goal) around 1900-2000 area, if lightly active, and could be more. 1390 plus exercise ought to be about a half kg a week, unless you included the exercise when you said lightly active. (Even normal life without exercise can be lightly active or more, though, depending on job and home life.)
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    If you're a woman --- then that's basically near your BMR...so I'd say you should be eating more than that. If you are 'lightly active' your TDEE is around 1900 --- so maybe set your calorie goal for like 1600 and see how it goes.