What food has surprised you since using MFP?

Options
I use to think a lot of the things I ate were good choices. Once I started using MFP I realized how some things were not the best choices. I'm wondering what others have noticed about the foods they use to choose. What food surprised you the most that is not a food choice?

I use to eat canned soups and ranch rice cakes. I didn't realize the amount of sodium I was taking in.

Replies

• tnorkus
    Options
    pickles!!!! I love dill pickles but have found that while the are very low calorie they are sodium bombs!!!!
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying the fake crab sealegs on salads. But I see that they are LOADED with sodium, so I'm cutting back.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Bananas and yogurt, the sugar is out of this world. Just by eating those two items for breakfast I go over my sugar intake for the day.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    pasta. I thought having occasional meatless meals, or that since it was low-fat it was good. I knew it was a carb, obviously, but didn't realize how many calories were packed into a tiny serving.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the awesome weight loss!!!! WooHoo
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    For me, it wasn't the food that was surprising, it was my perception of an appropriate serving size.
  • scircle
    scircle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Store bought granola! I thought I was doing myself a favor but it's just dessert for breakfast. We started making our own and cutting back on the sugar and adding more seeds and oats. Of course it's also a matter of portion control.
  • mccgivens
    Options
    Fruits surprised me...Bananas are high in calories and sugar.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    So true Calimari. I think the "serving size" on the box should be more realistic. Am I the only one who thinks that 1/2 c of pasta is absurd??? i don't think I would bother to boil the water for two mouthfuls of pasta. :happy:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Pickles for sure! I use to eat them by the jar years ago when I was following WW's. I use to think low cal means good snack. If says healthy on it well it's a slam junk good thing to eat. Yep I had no idea what I was doing to myself! The portion size still shocks me sometimes. I have to measure things right now b/c I'm always giving myself more than what the portion size really is!
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals like Smart Ones. I used to eat those all the time, embarrassingly. Loaded with unnecessary sodium, in the time it makes to throw together a quick salad.

Congrats on the awesome weight loss BTW! Hope to be where you are someday!!
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Bottled sweet tea compared to homemade sweet tea. BIG difference
  • ninajr90
    ninajr90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Valrhona Dark Chocolate 81%. I thought it was a great antioxidant option until I learned that ONE PIECE has 250 CALORIES. I switched to blueberries. :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Yogurt --- there are a million things out there labeled "greek yogurt" which makes you "think" they are healthy -- but OMG read the labels, most of them have more sugar than protein and are just crap. Buy the good stuff -- like Fage 0% or Chobani 0% and sweeten yourself with agave or stevia. \
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Fruit was surprising to me. I had always done WW so I was used to them only being a couple points but when you break out the actual calories & sugars it was shocking to see that I was not doing myself alot of favors by eating alot of fruit. Kind of sucks because I used to make alot of fresh fruit smoothies so I have cut back to help with sugars.
  • how13
    how13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    processed foods, how much salt they contain !!!!!!!!!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Wraps instead of sandwiches, which I thought was fewer calories and carbs. Found out in almost every case, it was not true!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake not as bad as I thought. Neither were cheesesteak sandwiches. Serving sizes were also a surprise - especially ceral serving sizes.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    all the bad stuff i used to eat... things are the theatre. i mean, i knew they were heavy.. but DAAANG

I used to buy 2 donuts and eat them off before the movie even went halfway... with popcorn or nachos and an iced tea or soda... i dont anymore, cause wow those things are SO expensive (in cals)

MFP really puts things into perspective... what i ate at the theatre would have been my calorie intake for the day :noway:
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    processed foods, how much salt they contain !!!!!!!!!

ohhh yes...