Feeling low and lethargic?

Options
I’m 5’6, female and 183lbs. I used the NHS website to calculate my calorie allowance for 1-2lb weight loss a week and was given 1,600 cals per day.

I started on 2nd March and have lost 7lbs so far. I’ve been doing aerobic workouts for 45 mins each session, 3 times a week, walking 12k steps minimum per day and doing two yoga sessions per week.

The past week I’ve been feeling really lethargic and my blood sugars have been low a lot (type 1 diabetic). I’m eating between 1,100 - 1,500 cals per day and never eat back exercise calories.

I am wondering if my calorie intake sounds about right or if I’m not eating enough? The first couple of weeks I felt amazing but now I feel like crap and keep getting headaches too.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Eat the 1600 given to you, or better: set up MFP as it's meant to and chose a realistic weight loss goal (hint: it's not the highest), then eat this, log your exercise and eat at least half of that. It's not surprising you're feeling miserable as you're severely undereating. Hey, you said you chose a weightloss goal of 1-2lbs per week, but you lost 7lbs in 3 weeks. Notice something?
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Are you MDI or on a pump? If you are having a lot of lows you may need to adjust your basal or carb ratio. How is your sugar when you get up in the morning?
    * Ask your endo team - not giving medical advice.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No wonder you're feeling rough, you're starving yourself. Eat all of your calories AND exercise calories otherwise you'll feel terrible and won't have the energy to exercise and you won't want to stick at your eating plan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’6, female and 183lbs. I used the NHS website to calculate my calorie allowance for 1-2lb weight loss a week and was given 1,600 cals per day.

I started on 2nd March and have lost 7lbs so far. I’ve been doing aerobic workouts for 45 mins each session, 3 times a week, walking 12k steps minimum per day and doing two yoga sessions per week.

The past week I’ve been feeling really lethargic and my blood sugars have been low a lot (type 1 diabetic). I’m eating between 1,100 - 1,500 cals per day and never eat back exercise calories.

I am wondering if my calorie intake sounds about right or if I’m not eating enough? The first couple of weeks I felt amazing but now I feel like crap and keep getting headaches too.
    Like others have said, you're not eating enough.

Do this:
    No, you're not eating enough.

You were given a goal of 1600 per day, and you are deliberately eating below that, 1100-1500. Then you are exercising on top and not eating back those exercise calories. What do you expect?

Try setting up your goals again, put your stats in the guided set up on this site, enter "lose 1lb per week" and eat that many calories plus at least some of your exercise calories.

You don't want to make yourself sick and miserable doing this, far better to have a reasonable and sustainable goal that you can stick to. Good luck!