I hate how long it takes!

Options
Are any of you prone to giving up due to the length of time it takes to complete your weight loss goals?

I've never weighed this much, and I'm very discouraged.

Putting on fifty extra pounds was so easy, yet getting rid of it is taking too long and I'm about ready to give up again. I've moved into a mountain community where hiking trails are just outside my front and back doors... so I've been taking advantage every day. I'm So Sore!! I've been hiking 1.5 miles every other day, and I feel ... GREAT!

I find it hard not to judge people by their weight... and I very much dislike the skinnies... Yet... everywhere I go, I see skinny people and I don't believe I'll ever be there, having struggled with weight since childhood. I put it on, then take it off, and put more on, and take some off..

How do you keep yourself consistent? What are some tips for sticking with your health routine?

Replies

• VardaElentari
    Options
    Are any of you prone to giving up due to the length of time it takes to complete your weight loss goals?

Putting on fifty extra pounds was so easy, yet getting rid of it is taking too long and I'm about ready to give up again. I've moved into a mountain community where hiking trails are just outside my front and back doors... so I've been taking advantage every day. I'm So Sore!! I've been hiking 1.5 miles every other day, and I feel ... GREAT!

I find it hard not to judge people by their weight... and I very much dislike the skinnies... Yet... everywhere I go, I see skinny people and I don't believe I'll ever be there, having struggled with weight since childhood. I put it on, then take it off, and put more on, and take some off..

How do you keep yourself consistent? What are some tips for sticking with your health routine?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Now this is just me. But I haven't struggled with weight my entire childhood/life- but what keeps me going is I don't want to be FAT- not not stick skinny either.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I know how daunting it can seem to lose weight.

But think of it this way. Sure it may take a little time to lose the weight slow and healthy. BUT, the days and weeks and months will go by ANYWAY. Either you can lose with those weeks and months or you can stay the same. To me it's a no brainer! :wink:

Just take it a week at a time. Don't focus on the bigger picture. Make smaller goals. Those small healthy losses will add up much faster than you think. We all know how time flies!

I started at 270 lbs. I thought it was next to impossible to even get below 200 lbs. But, I did it.

Now, here I am 135 lbs less...(well inching up a little now with pregnancy!! lol).....but I did it in about 16 months. In the scheme of things, that really isn't that much time compared to what you COULD be spending overweight. Right??

Good luck!! You can do this! A week at a time!! :flowerforyou:
  • DixieCup
    DixieCup Posts: 16
    Options
    Losing weight can be very frustrating. It does take time. But remember, you didn't gain it quickly, so don't expect to lose it quickly. This website is very helpful for making you be responsible for your health choices and what you put into your body. Your blog didn't say anything about how you are eating. You need to create a caloric deficit of 500 calories/day to lose 1 lb per week. You need to create a caloric deficit of 1000 calories a day to lose 2 lbs per week. Anything over that is unhealthy. To lose 50 lbs at the rate of 2 lbs per week, it would take you 25 weeks, or a little over 6 months. Now, that being said...make realistic goals for yourself. Set mini-goals to achieve. The number 50 is a little discouraging in itself. Decide that you want to lose 10 pounds in the next month, and then take it day by day. Achieving mini-goals helps you feel like what you are doing is worth the effort. Everyone gets frustrated and down sometimes, and there is nothing wrong with that. You just have to pick back up and keep moving. As far as staying motivated, write out a list of all of the reasons that you want to lose weight (i.e. look better, feel better, live longer, be healthier, enjoy more activities that are limited by weight). Whatever is important to you. When you get discouraged, look at the list to remind yourself of why you are doing this. Most importantly, remember that fitness is not just a physical state, but also a mental state. Think positive to the best of your ability, and it will pay off in the end :)
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't keep myself consistent. I allow myself 'bad' days and THAT is how I've been sticking to this. Despite my 'bad' eating days (I allow myself one day a week to just chow down like I used to, haha... and every week I chow down less and less and less), I've been consistently losing (anywhere from .5 lb to 2 lbs a week).

I think if I didn't allow myself 'bad' days, I would have given up a long time ago. Constantly watching calories and worrying about every little bit that goes in your mouth is TIRING, so you need to figure out a way to recharge. Whether that be treating yourself with a snack you wouldn't eat otherwise, or buying new clothes, or whatever, remember to take a breather when you need a breather.

But more importantly always take it one day at a time. Don't think about how LONG it's going to be. Think about today.

This probably didn't make much sense. I'm very hopped up on caffeine. :smile:

SUMMARY: DON'T GIVE UP!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Also, one thing I told myself over the 16 months it took me to reach my goal is that it would sure STINK to give up and have that time pass and have a certain date come and know you could have been at a certain weight by then! That knowledge and the "beating myself up" feeling I know would come with it kept me from giving up! :laugh:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should set mini goals and not focus too much on the weight- Like a goal could be I am going to workout X amount of days this week for this long - Or another goal will be like I am going to the 30 day shred challenge everyday for 30 days. Don't focus too much on the weightloss-

And minigoals with your weight as well like 5lbs at a time instead of looking at the big #.

Just an idea
  • LeeAnn11
    LeeAnn11 Posts: 37
    Options
    I as well never struggled with weight until after my second pregnancy and man oh man this time around is a tough one! My problem is after a week of eating good and exercising I am wanting to get back into my skinny jeans which obviously not going to happen after 1 week! Another problem I have is not staying off the scale, I really should just throw mine out! Last year I spent over $300.00 on summer clothes that would have fit me the pre-nine months...this was to give me inspiration to lose the weight. But guess what, these clothes have never been worn!! That is my goal now to get into those summer outfits and I am not stopping until that happens. I do not want to go back...well that's my sob story!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This mentalitiy always confused me - even though I used to be EXACTLY like that. Why would you give up because it takes a long time? You will just be overweight forever, instead of a really long time. :laugh:

So, anytime I want to quit - I reference the two quotes in my signature:

A year from now, you may wish you had started today - Robert Schuller

Isn't eventually better than never? - Me
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about. I've struggled with weight ever since puberty... and that came on pretty young for me. It's always been +10, -2. +20, -5... slowly, over the last 14 years, it's like "who is this fatso and what has she done with me?"

50lbs is a lot of weight, but you didn't put it on over night, so you can't expect to take it off over night either. Slow and steady will have you living a happy and healthy life (and it will be a nice long life too!).
    82lbs is a lot of weight, and I hated every pound of it. But like Tam said, I could have quit a few months ago and then I wouldn't have the 28lbs gone (and never to see again) to celebrate and I would still be just as miserable. Stick with it. Keep up the fight. It's worth it.

Slow and steady wins the weight-lost-forever race. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • evolve33
    evolve33 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello, i'm new to the weight -loss battle, read your post and had to reply. I also found it easy to gain 50 pounds. I got pregnant unexpectedly and had to quit smoking, drinking; everything fun except for eating! Unlike you, i was always a "skinny" before getting pregnant, but i want to share a little about my own experience as a teen. I had a high metabolism and could not seem to gain a pound no matter how hard i tried ( and try i did!) I got judged a lot for being too skinny - everyone made fun of me or accused me of having an eating disorder. It was very hurtful, and i used to pray every night for some boobs and a nice butt. I think everyone struggles with their body image for different reasons. I am now trying to lose 25 pounds because i feel heavy and unhealthy, but i don't look in the mirror and beat myself up because i remember the awkward toothpick i used to be! Good luck to you, try to be patient with yourself and remember that not all those skinny minnies are happy either :D
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I think of it in the opposite. It took me about 5 years to go from about 175lbs to 209lbs. It's taken me almost a year to go from 209 lbs to 148 lbs. So.... it must have been easier to lose than to gain... and way more fulfilling too :laugh: :flowerforyou: you can do it, just decide it's time.