Question for the cyclists - puncture repair spray

Hi all - I need to pick your collective brains.
During today's ride, my husband picked up a puncture and we decided that rather than faff around changing out the inner tube, we would try using the can of repair spray that I carry.
It seems to have worked a treat, but my question is, how long does the stuff last? (I've looked as best I can around the internet, but couldn't really find an answer.)
Basically, do we now need to change the tube ASAP or should it be OK for a while (couple of 100km / few weeks/ ??)

Replies

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Tubes are usually repaired with rubber patches and you don't need to scrap them on the first leak. Often it is because they were improperly mounted if you see nothing on the tire. I would trust them more than spray (but I have no actual experience with spray).
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    I know tubes are repairable but at the roadside it easier, quicker and often safer to just change it out and repair once back at home. We carry a traditional puncture repair kit, and a spare tube. I have a can of spray in my saddle bag too.

We got the spray because I find changing / repairing tubes at the roadside difficult and end up wearing a lot of grease ( he’s much slicker at it than me) and we both find the indexing on the gears gets wonky if we’ve had a rear wheel off. Basically it seemed to allow me (female) to cycle alone, and feel confident that I can rapidly fix a puncture to get me home.

Now, having actually used the stuff, I’m interested in how long it lasts...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm not sure about the spray. I usually buy my tubes either pre-slimed or in some cases I've had to slime them myself. The slime works great for most punctures in preventing a full on flat and maybe just having to give the tire a little air when road side.

I don't have any experience with the spray, but I've never had any particularly good things to say about patch repair kits...so if it's remotely similar, it probably won't last that long. In my experience anyway, things like that are great for an "emergency" and being able to limp home where you can change everything out. When I get a full on flat, I usually just do a full replacement roadside (pulled off somewhere safe).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I would replace the tube when you get home. You now have a punctured tube being held closed by sealant. That sealant will dry up and lose its ability to do its job. How long it's good for depends on things like his much was in the can, how humid it is where you live, and what pressure you run your tires at. In any case it's not going to hold long term.
  • KNoceros
    Thanks. We are cautious types and the tube is now history, but it was much nicer to be able to change it at home rather than on the side of a busy road!

Still interested in others’ experiences though. Especially for if it happens when I’m out on my own and may have 30+ km to go before I am home...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    hmm.. I had a puncture today as well. Drove into a shard of glass. I asked another cyclist for help, as seeing how difficult it was to change the inner tube on my slim race tires I would not have managed it alone. I'll likely repair the old tube though and keep it as emergency tube.
  • NorthCascades
    Bikes get flat tires, road bikes with skinny tires are especially prone to them. If you aren't comfortable changing a tube on the side of the road you would be well advised to either go tubeless, carry comfortable walking shoes, or have some other backup plan. I'm saying this as somebody who's walked miles in road shoes. 😯
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    As has been said already, replace the tube you fixed with a new one. Flat-fixing sprays are meant to get you home. If you don’t have a few extra tubes, you’d be wise to try and get them now. There was a shortage on butyl last year, and I am guess there will be again this year.

If you are not comfortable changing a tube, watch a video online and practice! Deflate your tube, and take it off and on a few times to get quick at flat repair. In a basic bike maintenance class, this is usually the first focus. Once you can change a flat, you are ready for most of the issues you will encounter on the roads. (Outside of drivers!)

I have changed so many flats. It astounds me how many people are riding around without that crucial skill set. I stop for every rider with a flat, and more times than not, they don’t even watch as I fix their tire. When I ask if they want to learn, the answer is usually “I just use my phone to call someone.”

Learn to change a flat, ride bikes, have fun, feel good!

Many happy miles!
  • yirara
    tbilly20 wrote: »
    As has been said already, replace the tube you fixed with a new one. Flat-fixing sprays are meant to get you home. If you don’t have a few extra tubes, you’d be wise to try and get them now. There was a shortage on butyl last year, and I am guess there will be again this year.

If you are not comfortable changing a tube, watch a video online and practice! Deflate your tube, and take it off and on a few times to get quick at flat repair. In a basic bike maintenance class, this is usually the first focus. Once you can change a flat, you are ready for most of the issues you will encounter on the roads. (Outside of drivers!)

I have changed so many flats. It astounds me how many people are riding around without that crucial skill set. I stop for every rider with a flat, and more times than not, they don’t even watch as I fix their tire. When I ask if they want to learn, the answer is usually “I just use my phone to call someone.”

Many happy miles!

Yep. I did watch. I don't think I'll be able to get the tire off and on again though as this requires substantial finger strength on my race bike. The guy who helped me yesterday took ages, and even with the two of us it wasn't easy to get the last bit of tire on again despite all the tricks he tried and tools he used. But at least I had the right tube replace kit with me. Phew.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    yirara wrote: »

Many happy miles!

Yep. I did watch. I don't think I'll be able to get the tire off and on again though as this requires substantial finger strength on my race bike. The guy who helped me yesterday took ages, and even with the two of us it wasn't easy to get the last bit of tire on again despite all the tricks he tried and tools he used. But at least I had the right tube replace kit with me. Phew.
    @yirara
    It more likely it's your particular brand/type of tyre that is making it hard to get off and on.
    e.g.
    Continental Gatorskin (a.k.a. Skater-Skin) have a really tough construction and very strong bead - lots of swearing required! (Moistening the final lip helps a lot too.)
    Continental's GP4000 is ten times easier to get off and on the wheel as it's a far less rigid construction, last bit of the bead can almost be done without using tyre levers at all.

I've done thousands of miles on patched tubes (mostly Park Tools patches). I wouldn't fit a patched tube at home in my garage but if I have to patch one on the road I don't bother replacing it.
  • yirara
    sijomial wrote: »

Many happy miles!

@yirara
    It more likely it's your particular brand/type of tyre that is making it hard to get off and on.
    e.g.
    Continental Gatorskin (a.k.a. Skater-Skin) have a really tough construction and very strong bead - lots of swearing required! (Moistening the final lip helps a lot too.)
    Continental's GP4000 is ten times easier to get off and on the wheel as it's a far less rigid construction, last bit of the bead can almost be done without using tyre levers at all.

I've done thousands of miles on patched tubes (mostly Park Tools patches). I wouldn't fit a patched tube at home in my garage but if I have to patch one on the road I don't bother replacing it.

This might very well be the case. I noticed that I had a flat tire, but not as much as I would expect based on driving my everyday bike with too little air in the tube. I went on carefully for another 5km or so without ever bumping onto the rim (I literally was in the middle of nowhere). Oh well, I need to replace them sooner or later. Replacing the tube made me realize in how bad a shape the tire really is. Taking a race bike over a forest mountainbike trail with lots of pebbles and tree roots, or over sandy paths might not be the best idea.
  • NorthCascades

Many happy miles!

Do you have tire levers? You don't need much finger strength to use them.
  • yirara

Many happy miles!

Do you have tire levers? You don't need much finger strength to use them.

Of course. A whole pile. Broke two as well. It might just be the type of tire I have as my aide mumbled under his breath that he never had such trouble putting a tire back on.
  • tbilly20
    If you have ever broken a tire lever, you may appreciate my favorite lever. Soma makes a steel core model. They are very difficult to break, and can still be used if the plastic tip does fail. I would not used these on a carbon clincher.
  • iancity
    iancity Posts: 26 Member
    Can I ask what sort of repair spray it was? I suffer from similar problems, struggle getting tyres off and back on etc and have just bought a BAM by Muc-off (I'm in UK) to help. Apparently just attach this to the tyre/tube and inflate and it at least gets you home, wondering if its something similar to what you have?
  • NorthCascades
    Cafe Latex was popular back in the day when people used tubulars.
  • KNoceros
    iancity wrote: »
    Can I ask what sort of repair spray it was? I suffer from similar problems, struggle getting tyres off and back on etc and have just bought a BAM by Muc-off (I'm in UK) to help. Apparently just attach this to the tyre/tube and inflate and it at least gets you home, wondering if its something similar to what you have?

It was simply called “puncture repair spray” bought from Decathlon. I didn’t notice what was in it (constituent wise). The whole thing was about the size of a spice jar with a plastic tube on the end with a valve adaptor, and the contents were a white, really thick sticky foam. Sounds probably like a generic version of what you’ve got.
    Next time I’m in the garage, I’ll see if I can find out what was actually in the tin...

Got us home fine, and the tube seemed well inflated when we changed it. (That in itself was a bit of a problem because the goo blocked the inflation valve, making the tube hard to deflate/ get out of the tyre).

I would use the stuff again, but as an “emergency” solution rather than my standard solution.
  • NorthCascades
    The inflation valve is part of the inner tube. Sealant had a tendency to gunk those (valves) up. Once you've put sealant in, you should keep the valve at 12 o'clock when you add air.

Replacing the tube is the answer. You could get a valve core remover tool instead but the tube is also punctured.
  • tbilly20
    Cafe Latex was popular back in the day when people used tubulars.

Ah tubulars! I used to ride with a spare tire and bottle of Vittoria tire sealant under my seat bag!