Need advice on goals

Hi guys and girls.

I've been running a semi-dirty bulk since December. Went from 10 stone 7lbs to 11 stone 12lbs currently.
(I realise some are going to mention that's insanely fast, but newbie gains + hardgainer + a lifetime of eating like a sparrow / very sporadically, body is thanking me atm.)

My next goal was 13 stone. Which, at my current rate I think I could reach without much problem.

However, I'm starting to put a bit of a stomach on, and I understand that at the rate I'm gaining, a fair portion of this might be fat gain.

Is it worth running a cutting phase for a little while to reduce that stomach fat, then switch back to a bulk towards my original goal? Or just accept it as what is and continue the bulk to target?

Never ran a cutting phase before as I have always been that fairly lean small guy, so if that's the advice, would love pointers on doing that properly.

Current programming;
TDD 2550 cals per day.
Workouts - 3 x per week, 5x5 compound barbell workouts (with 30kg weight.. damn but weight is EXPENSIVE!)
Cardio - Pretty much none, currently.

I'm also aware that gyms are going to be reopening soon, and I have a decent gym membership next to my work, so progressive overload in my programming might help reduce some of the problems I'm having.

so yeah... any thoughts would be awesome, thanks folks.

Replies

• davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2021
    (Apologies, I misread your post and thought your gains were over a month 😁)

What height are you? Also, what’s your longer term objective? You’ve said 13st but presumably you’d what that to be primarily muscle rather than fat?
  • davew0000
    I’m doing my first cut phase, by the way.

I’m doing 80% of TDEE with macros at 40-40-20 (carb-protein-fat). When cutting you need to eat more protein than when you’re bulking (a surplus of what you need) to convince your body to burn fat while maintaining muscle. That differs from bulking where you just need to eat more calories with sufficient protein to build muscle.

I find it a challenge to eat 40% protein which is 250g for me. I’m having to eat chicken breast as an after work snack. Also getting enough fibre is more difficult.

It’s going alright for me so far, but have only been running for a few weeks.
  • recodeexistance
    recodeexistance Posts: 51 Member
    davew0000 wrote: »
    (Apologies, I misread your post and thought your gains were over a month 😁)

What height are you? Also, what’s your longer term objective? You’ve said 13st but presumably you’d what that to be primarily muscle rather than fat?

I'm 5'7 or so, and yeah, preferably muscle would be good, but I'm willing for a little of it to be fat if need be.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    What’s the hurry? Why not gain slower over an extended period of months if you want to continue bulking? I don’t understand.
    Muscle growth can’t be hurried!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    Also I’m wondering whether 30kg of weight is gonna get you the progressive overload needed. It doesn’t sound optimal to me maybe others will chime in
  • davew0000
    I note you’re aiming for a BMI of 28. Is the reason aesthetics or sports?

Do you know what sort of BF% you’re going for?
  • recodeexistance
    edited March 2021
    What’s the hurry? Why not gain slower over an extended period of months if you want to continue bulking? I don’t understand.
    Muscle growth can’t be hurried!

I agree, I'm not in a huge rush. Just at the point of wondering if my fat gains are kinda overtaking my muscle gains and whether to adjust for that. And totally right about the 30kg, I know I'm going to plateau on it soon. Just awaiting my gym reopening from lockdown.

davew0000 wrote: »
    I note you’re aiming for a BMI of 28. Is the reason aesthetics or sports?

Do you know what sort of BF% you’re going for?

BMI - If i'm being honest, I'm not entirely sure where I set that one. Reason for the gain is mainly aesthetics, trying to break out of the natural ectomorphic/hardgainer look.

BF wise, I'm not sure what to go for. Would you have any suggestions or consideration on both these fronts?

[Edit] - I went to look that up. I'd say I'd be comfortable going up to about 25% body fat on a bulk if I had to, but would definitely be looking to hold an image of somewhere between 12 and 15% body fat after cutting.

• davew0000
    5”7 and 12 stone sounds quite solidly built to me.

I’m an ectomorph too. I was keen to gain weight in you younger years. Before you know it you’re in your forties with an oversized waistline and the doctor is tutting at you cholesterol levels. I’ve never been over a BMI of 28 I think.

Over 20% BF is getting into the overweight/over fat territory in my mind. Losing 10% BF, let’s say 20lbs, is 20 weeks work on a fairly aggressive schedule. Let’s say half a year with holidays and slip ups. That’s a daunting prospect to me.

So my thoughts are to go easier, keep BF under 20%, particularly while the gyms are closed.

• recodeexistance
    Sounds it, but I'm one of those dudes with really thin wrists etc haha.

I'll definitely keep that in mind with the +20% BF, I may switch to a cut soon to get rid of a few of the stomach pounds and then switch back to bulking. I agree with 20 weeks of an aggressive cut being kind of daunting haha.

Next goal is 13st, and with gyms reopening in a month I think I'll start to see some great gains there too.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Something to consider: it’s possible that a higher percentage of body fat may impede muscle growth.