grief and eating

Options
Looking for advice.

I have lost about 30 lbs and worked diligently, especially the last 4 months when i lost about 20 of those pounds. I had gained weight when losing two of my closest family members and then I worked so hard to lose this weight. After about a year of grief I am finally coming to slightly more peace although the grief is still fresh.

Food wise, I haven't had a single slip up in 4.5 months. Then we had a very freak accident in our home yesterday and one of my pets I've had for 11.5 years died right in front of me. I am barely hanging on and so upset. So I ate a large amount of calories for the first time since November. I need to stop this behaviour and keep the weight off and not fall into my old ways but how do I do it when I am hanging on by a shred? I feel like I need help and don't know where to turn.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting some therapy to deal with these issues? There's no shame in asking for help!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Losing a pet is more tragic for me than losing a person. Especially if it was unexpected. Allow yourself to mourn. If you tend to turn to food, finding a therapist may help you identify OTHER ways to mourn without gaining weight.
  • TexasTallchick
    TexasTallchick Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ve been there. I lost my 47yo husband unexpectedly 2 years ago and also had to put my 17yo minipoo to sleep a couple months ago. I’d had her since she was a puppy and he and I had been together since 1996. Both staggering losses.

It’s also my norm to turn to food for comfort because nothing anyone does or I do made me feel even in slightly less pain or grief.

Stuffing my face with whatever until I felt physically full helped temporarily. Grief is a b*tch and it’s something that needs to be worked through, not ignored.

I don’t know if you’re on FB, but there are groups for pet loss and grief support as well. Those have been invaluable to me. Feel free to send me a friend request as well. I’m here for you. Hugs.
  • lisamhall2021
    lisamhall2021 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Grief is hard and it's no different to lose a pet than a person....they are family too! I recently became a widow and can relate to the unhealthy behavior....I do it too. If you are looking for a friend, send me a request...maybe we can help each other. Hang in there!