Has anyone else's weight been wrecked by psychiatric medications?

I was a varsity athlete in high school and part of college. After college I worked in produce walking for 8 hours and lifting boxes. But even with a CrossFit punch card for 10 visits a month, a running club I led, strength training 3 times a week, and watching my calories, I sometimes had to just not take my antidepressants in order not to GAIN weight.

I recently received a full TMS treatment and am going to talk to my psychiatrist about NEVER taking these medications again, because I used to be at 157 and now I'm at 207. I've told them about the weight gain and I've specifically asked with each new medication I try "does it cause weight gain?" But this is the one constant in a scenario where I've overhauled the rest of my life.

Like what the hell. I'm so mad at them. This is why it's hard for me to trust that psychiatrists have my best interests at heart. 207 healthy?

Replies

• arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    That’s why I’m on a weightloss journey. I went to 212 from 110 before I even had a chance to say something. I threatened suicide and they took me off them.
  • roseflower2324
    roseflower2324 Posts: 4 Member
    I am in the same boat. I wish you lady's and gents a successful change and enjoy the new life you worked so hard to build.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I’m so sorry you’re having all these struggles! The meds can really affect us in the sense that they can increase appetite and increase our apathy. So, you can be eating more (sometimes mindlessly with brain fog) and burning less.

It takes time and patience to find the right combination. Most psychotropic drugs can cause weight gain as a side effect due to increased hunger and decreased movement.

It can creep up easily and quickly. Tight logging and really assessing hunger cues can help you regain or maintain control.

Please talk to your doctor and advocate for yourself. There are solutions for your mind that don’t punish your body. 💖
  • Anon_Of_Ibid
    Anon_Of_Ibid Posts: 1 Member
    I've gained over 300 lbs in the 30+ years I've been taking psych meds. Almost every one of them causes increased appetite, especially for carbs. One thing I am doing is taking the pill in the morning so I can deal with the binge urges when I have more self-control. It seems to help. I am not getting up in the night to binge on chips and crackers. There is a definite loss of gumption as the day goes on. The Noom program calls it decision fatigue. The later in the day, the easier it becomes to make bad choices.