Walking and body Aches

Hello There! Just to start, 35 year old 5' 3" and 200 pounds. I've been walking 2.5 miles each night after work and oh my god the front of the calfs burn so much. After walking my legs are sore.

I know I am out of shape, but I'm walking at a 20 for a pace. Any advise?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Are we talking sore like you feel it when you get up and are doing your other daily activities? That level of soreness is probably normal for new activity. If it's sore like you can't do your regular activities or it's keeping you from sleeping, that would be more towards abnormal.

On the surface level what you're describing isn't abnormal and will get better as you acclimate to the activity, but it depends on the level of pain. Make sure you're taking appropriate rest days too -- the rest gives your body a chance to recover and your fitness will improve faster as a result.
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Thank you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2021
    If you haven't been doing much and not been particularly active, even walking will make you sore...it just means you're out of shape and your muscles haven't been used for much. If it's not debelitating soreness that keeps you from other daily activities, you're probably fine...otherwise you might want to walk every other night after work to allow for a bit of recovery and build up to every night.

Also, if you're walking a lot of hills, that tends to cause soreness in the front part of the lower leg.

Pretty much anything you do that is new or is of increased intensity will cause soreness. I'm in pretty good shape, but I just started riding a free style trick scooter with my boys when I take them to the skate park...it uses all kinds of different muscles that I don't typically use cycling or hiking or walking and I use them in a different way than lifting weights, and I'm pretty sore right now after a couple of 1.5 hour sessions on Saturday and Sunday...it's normal.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Why not build up your mileage more gradually.

Also, you may want to get a check up, if you haven't. Certain medical conditions can lead to aching legs such as arthritis, blood clots, nerve damage and varicose veins.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Slow down.

Walk less miles. Start low and build up your mileage.

Walk every other day. Or every day alternating short and longer (not long) distances until you build up your endurance.

Actually walk slower and concentrate on how you are walking.

Take shorter steps.

Oh and a funny one, relax. When I was training for 10km races, walking, I’d get stressed enough that my shins would ache. I had to self talk myself to relax my feet and legs.

Even before the above, what is your footwear like?

If you are going for your walk in a pair of well used runners take a step back and get fitted for a pair of walking trainers. (There is a difference in the footwear for running and walking and if you are going to make walking part of your fitness plan it is worth investing in the correct footwear.)

For now, it may be worth taking a break if the pain is consistently happening and resume when it has eased.

You may want to check with your doctor for shin splints.

Cheers, h.