Weight gain and menopause

tammy5670
tammy5670 Posts: 1 Member
Hi I’m 50 and have gained a lot of weight since I’m in menopause. Does anyone have suggestions as far as calories, macros etc. also need motivation to exercise as if my clothes not fitting isn’t enough?!? Help

Replies

• AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Hello! Would love to connect. I think we menopausal/post-menopausal women have unique challenges. I like to cook and eat real food, mostly pescatarian.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Perimenopause was tough for me but now I'm in menopause I no longer have the cyclic cravings. My carb tolerance is shot, though.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    its all about the deficit. however you obtain that.

@springlering62 is a wealth of knowledge regarding losing weight and fitness during and post menopause. Hopefully she will pop in and chime in to help you.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Post menopausal here. What has helped me tremendously is intermittent fasting and at age 49 eating as healthy and clean as I can. My digestive health is not in tip top shape and I am trying to fix that. Definitely move more and am more conscious of my reaction to certain foods, specially ones that did not cause havoc before. Work in progress.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    I just read an article (I'll try to find it again) citing research showing that the loss of estrogen can slow metabolism and mess with satiety cues. According to the article, both issues can be mitigated via HIIT workouts and increasing proteins vs carbs. So I am looking for a HIIT workout kind to older joints.
  • mdbkids
    mdbkids Posts: 5 Member
    I am restarting. Before pandemic I'd lost 20 pounds, but have now gained 15 back this year. I'm in menopause and we've had some real challenges - hubby in an accident, me working from home (less steps and moving) and my mom living with us, kid health and other issues. But I need to hope back on this slow train that menopause seems to be making weight loss. Thanks for this discussion area.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 522 Member
    edited April 2021
    Menopause was when I gained the weight that brought me here. The good news is you can lose it and keep it off by logging at a sensible deficit here, exercising, and soaking up support from MFP friends. I'm 60 now and sticking around here to maintain (and correct my all-too-frequent backsliding). Feel free to send me a friend request if you are active on here.