New, and baffled

Options
This is my drama:

My daliy calorie goal is 1665, which should put me at a 500 cal deficit.
Plus my excercise calories, which is today, 1258. (if i were to eat all of my excercise cals, but thats a different conversation)
Together, that totals 2923 cals.

However, it's almost bedtime, and I've only burned 2896 calories.

.....does that kind of ruin my calorie deficit....?

how many cals would I burn between dinner (6pm) and midnight?

Help help
Please and thankyou

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Where did you get those exercise calories? And how did you determine your total calorie burn for the day? It's going to be hard to help unless we know where your estimates are coming from.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would have to jump rope for 2 hours straight to get that kind of calorie burn. I think you may he calculating your numbers wrong?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Even if it did "ruin" your calorie deficit, you already said you don't eat back all of your exercise calories (which I agree with everyone else..that sounds massively inflated. Where are you getting that number?). So I don't understand what the dilemma is...you'd still be in a calorie deficit. Plus you're only taking about a 30 calorie difference or so, which is negligible.
  • claireeclairee
    claireeclairee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I'm really glad you're all baffled too, it isn't just me. I thought it sounded like a ridiculously big number!

Okay, so I just put whatever, age, sex, weight etc into MFP, said I was lightly active, and MFP gave me that 1665.
    The next number, "exercise calories," is being synced from my fitbit. And it is true, I'm on my feet, walking around a lot at work, and carrying heavyish(5kg?) objects around for a fairly large chunk of my work day, and hit the gym 5 days a week, on top of that.
    (today, I just finished work, and my step count is 17,807, so, I walk a lot)

When I'm looking at my Food Diary page, it adds the 1665 and the exercise cals together, so it always says I have a huge number of cals remaining....

If it's wrong, do you have any suggestions about what I should do?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    I think this might even be very active, with such a job. If you don't walk that much during the weekend then eat those 1665, during the week you eat your very active calories.

Thus change your settings to very active. See how many calories you get. If you sync fitbit overand it's still more then eat at least a part of that for a while to see how your weightloss is going. Then adjust
  • claireeclairee
    Options
    Thanks so much, I'll give that a go :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    I think there's also a negative calorie adjustment. I don't know how it works as I have no device sync'ed. But I think if you activate that and have MFP set to very active, but you do nothing doing the weekend, then calories are automatically taken away. But like I say: I never tried this
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My daliy calorie goal is 1665, which should put me at a 500 cal deficit.
    Plus my excercise calories, which is today, 1258. (if i were to eat all of my excercise cals, but thats a different conversation)
    Together, that totals 2923 cals.

However, it's almost bedtime, and I've only burned 2896 calories.

.....does that kind of ruin my calorie deficit....?

I suspect the difference here is the lightly active setting plus negative adjustments. It says you have 1258 cals from all your activity, but you already said lightly active, so some part of that is in there already, and with the additional adjustment your total burn is the 2896.

I agree with those who say it will be less confusing if your activity level is consistent with your actual activity, so active or very active. You will want to have negative adjustment permitted and to make sure you include the times of any exercise logged on MFP so there's no accidental double-counting (you can also just let your tracker handle everything).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I think there's also a negative calorie adjustment. I don't know how it works as I have no device sync'ed. But I think if you activate that and have MFP set to very active, but you do nothing doing the weekend, then calories are automatically taken away. But like I say: I never tried this

Yep, this is how it works. When you have negative adjustments turned on, it will deduct calories on the days when you move LESS than your activity level would predict. For someone who is very active some days and not so active on others, this could be useful.
  • claireeclairee
    Options
    Okay, one more thing. I'm so sorry to harass you guys and be that new kid at school who needs you to hold their hand.

But, when I've set it to Active, it's made my daily calorie goal from 1600(whatever) go down to 1200.... Shouldn't it have raised the calorie goal?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,169 Member
    Options
    Definitely not normal, no. Did you also choose another weight loss rate?