is organic really better?

Options
Hi everyone! I was wondering about organic produce, meat, dairy... are they worth the extra cost and effort? I am a new mom and trying to plan healthy meals i can cook. I am also breastfeeding and don't want to pass harmful hormones/ additives/ chemicals to my daughter, but i don't have tons of extra cash for groceries. Wich foods contain the most yucky stuff?

Replies

• evolve33
    evolve33 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was wondering about organic produce, meat, dairy... are they worth the extra cost and effort? I am a new mom and trying to plan healthy meals i can cook. I am also breastfeeding and don't want to pass harmful hormones/ additives/ chemicals to my daughter, but i don't have tons of extra cash for groceries. Wich foods contain the most yucky stuff?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    if you can afford it, organics are a good idea. If you're like me though, you can't afford to buy everything organic. I read once that if you can't go organic completely but want to make healthier choices, bell peppers are one thing you should definitely start buying in organic. They said that they use more pesticides with bell peppers than with any other produce. Since I read that I buy only organic peppers :laugh:.
  • evolve33
    Options
    thanks, i love bell peppers and eat them often to i will definately make the switch. Also looking foward to starting my first garden this spring since my new home has a big back yard.
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could afford all organic?! :angry:

I've also heard that peaches and nectarines should be organic if possible. Also milk. A friend of mine who used to buy all organic has had to cut back but refuses to give up the organic milk. I don't drink milk so not a big deal for me.
  • livinwell
    livinwell Posts: 47
    Options
    Obviously it would be great if we could buy everything organic and locally grown. Here is a good link on which fruits and veggie that absorb the most pesticides and should be purchased organic.

http://www.thoughtfullysimple.com/10-fruits-vegetables-you-should-buy-organic/

Baby Steps:love:
  • nik433
    nik433 Posts: 57
    Options
    i've heard both sides. i have family friends who work for the government in the food industry and they won't eat organic because there's no regulations on any of it yet. i've heard that the if you can't afford to go all organic, then pick and choose the most important. meat products and dairy (hormones) and fruits where you eat the skins (not bananas, oranges, etc.) i guess i wouldn't care as much about veggies or packaged products then.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Organic apples are better because they aren't all waxy like like normal ones. One day the organic grapefruit was on sale so I got it and couldn't believe how much better it tasted as well. There's a thick skin we don't eat but you could still tell the difference in taste, it just tasted much fresher and cleaner if that makes any sense. I'm cheap though, so I don't buy organic if costs too much more, got normal apples today. :cry:
  • MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options
    Organic and local is better. It may cost more initially than non-organic but eventually you will pay a lot more in other ways in the future for non-organic. You will eventually pay more in poor health and doctor bills. Also, non-organic foods are not grown sustainably which in turn will cause the earth to pay in so many ways. Read a great book on this matter:
    "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Organic and local is better. It may cost more initially than non-organic but eventually you will pay a lot more in other ways in the future for non-organic. You will eventually pay more in poor health and doctor bills. Also, non-organic foods are not grown sustainably which in turn will cause the earth to pay in so many ways. Read a great book on this matter:
    "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan.

I agree with this, have not read the book though........ :wink:

i have not gone completely organic, but I am trying my best to incorporate as much organic as I can possibly afford.............

I can tell a huge difference in the taste myself...........
  • evolve33
    Options
    thanks to everyone for your helpful comments! i am going to the grocery store tomoro so i will get a chance to see what my area has to offer in organics. i can't wait to start making myself real meals instead of fast food and prepackaged junk. hopefully my new baby will cooperate, she seems to sense when i am getting ready to eat and decide she's hungry too, haha kids!