Hi I'm new

Options
Hi I'm new to this, I'm a mom of a 4 yr old boy. I want to lose 50 pounds in six months. This is the first time I've ever posted anything. I joined 3 days ago and like it for the most part the only thing I don't like is it does not caculate my calories burned for walking. I have to figure that out for myself.

Replies

• jessbblonde
    jessbblonde Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this, I'm a mom of a 4 yr old boy. I want to lose 50 pounds in six months. This is the first time I've ever posted anything. I joined 3 days ago and like it for the most part the only thing I don't like is it does not caculate my calories burned for walking. I have to figure that out for myself.
  • samantha_martin11
    Options
    Well im new too ,but im young so i had to lie so i could lose weight on this site! I love this this site! my dad allready lost 9 pounds on it!
  • samantha_martin11
    Options
    Well im new too ,but im young so i had to lie so i could lose weight on this site! I love this this site! my dad allready lost 9 pounds on it!
  • jessbblonde
    Options
    how old are you? I've been heavy starting at age 11 so I can understand how it feels. I'm 27 now and it get's harder to lose weight when your older :)
  • lashonda
    lashonda Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello, Im pretty new here too. Just wanted to let you know I think the site will calculate your calories based on how long you walked and at what pace. It does for me.

Good Luck :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Lashonda,

The site does figure your calories- you just need to figure out how far you are walking, then turn that into M.P.H. and then all the walking speeds come up in the exercise tab under walking. You can get a "guesstimate" if you can't do a measure of your distance.

I just finally bought a pedometer, because I only had three walks mapped out that I knew how many miles it was and I was getting bored with it. But once you know one walk length/time, then you can just extrapolate that time and try to keep the same pace.

Pedometers are cheap, though, and they count your aerobic steps, minutes, and miles. Very simple.

~cm
  • cmriverside
    Options
    jessbblonde,

OOPS ! That last post of mine was directed at your "walking-calories-burned-post".

Hi, Lashonda. Buy a pedometer, too!! =)

~cm
  • lose80lbs
    Options
    hi everybody. i'm new here. just signed up. i need to lose 80 pounds, hence the name "lose80lbs". i'm really hoping on losing 80lbs and fit into my old jeans again. i'm also aiming at losing 16 INCHES off my waist! i'm 30 years old, 5'4" high, 213lbs heavy and have a horrible 44-inch waist! i'm at my biggest, fattest ever! i have 3 children. during my last pregnancy i thought i'll be thin coz i only gained TEN POUNDS! my baby weighed seven pounds at birth, so you can imagine i lost all the baby weight plus more. but i had this odd sense that i should eat a lot to produce "more" milk for my nursing baby. but to my dismay, i gained again all the weight i lost plus much much more! my baby is now close to 17 months old and really HAVE to do something about my health! my actual goal is to BE healthy. and in order for me to be healthy, i need to get to my ideal weight and lose 16 inches of blubber off my abdomen! i just arranged my old pants according to size so i know which size to aim for first, then when i reach it, i'll aim for the next smaller size, and so on and so forth. i hope to learn a lot from this website and lose all i have to lose. have a good day!
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    hi,

go to abcrunch.com for a great menu and make sure you have a weight lifting program to build muscle and cardio program as well for burning fat.

i did the same thing you did and arranged my clothes. i reached a plateau this past week and decided to weigh my self and realized i am over half way to my goal. i only have 30 lbs left to lose. i also researched muscle confusion on several websites and the recommendation is to switch your exercise when you feel you are reaching a plateau and that will get you past that point.

good luck
  • jessbblonde
    Options
    every time I go to enter walking no matter which one I select it has the amount and calories burned it won't caculate the calories burned for me. I guess, I'll try ivillage.com to see if I can get it from there and add it here.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    hmm. I've been adding my walking and never had a problem. Are you entering Excercise>Walking>[chose m.p.h.]> number of minutes walked? It should figure it if you use that formula.

You do need to know approximately how fast you are walking. If you can, splurge on a $30.00 pedomenter on amazon.com. It takes all the "thinking" out of the mph.

Without pedometer: plot a route that is easy to figure out the mileage. Like a public trail, or school track, or football field that has a defined distance. If you drive, use your car's odometer to figure mileage on some local roads. Time yourself and figure out approximately your mph.

Hope that helps.

cm