I have to admit it. I need help

I DO binge. Every 3 to 4 days something sets me off. Like last night my 2,5 year old son did not sleep and wanted to play and eat "breakfast" at 3 am because he fell asleep at 6 pm. I was so tired and miserable, so I ate with him... Started with Olympus vanilla yogurt, then ate 2 of them. Then had a handfull of nuts and raisins, then something clicked in my head and I defrosted 3 (!) pieces of chocolate cake. :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:
After fog dissapeared, I felt sick and disgusting. I do not know what is going on and how to fight it. It happens too often and it feels like my mind stops working.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
What is wrong with me and how to fix it?!!!!:frown:

Replies

• Don't have it in the house.....then it's hard to have your melt down days.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    I went through this for years. It was not until I reached out and got professional help, through a therapist and an eating disorder counselor, that I was able to overcome it. I was able to learn my triggers, the reasons why I binged, and come to terms with the larger emotional issues that contributed to it. In addition, I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder and prescribed topamax, which helped curb those desires. There IS hope.

A lot of people on here will offer you general tips and trips, encouragement, etc. All of that is well and good, but when you have a real problem, you need more than kind words, you need real help, and I encourage you to take the step to seek it. I speak from someone who went through it for years and got better because I did just that.
  • yeah thats what i was doing so now i dont buy the sweets cakes yoghurt so now i cant eat them :-)
  • I went through this for years. It was not until I reached out and got professional help, through a therapist and an eating disorder counselor, that I was able to overcome it. I was able to learn my triggers, the reasons why I binged, and come to terms with the larger emotional issues that contributed to it. In addition, I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder and prescribed topamax, which helped curb those desires. There IS hope.

A lot of people on here will offer you general tips and trips, encouragement, etc. All of that is well and good, but when you have a real problem, you need more than kind words, you need real help, and I encourage you to take the step to seek it. I speak from someone who went through it for years and got better because I did just that.
    Where would I find a professional help?
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    You were tired, and your body was out of routine. You have a coping mechanism where you reach for food in those kinds of situations. Go back to that situation, think about how you were feeling... tired, cranky? What could you have done to combat that in a way that wouldn't have you reaching for a ton of food? Have a cup of tea, or other warm drink? Just a piece of fruit? Whatever you decide, fix it in your head as your battle plan for next time you're in one of those situations, out of routine, struggling. Basically make it your new coping mechanism.

Hope this helps!
  • yeah thats what i was doing so now i dont buy the sweets cakes yoghurt so now i cant eat them :-)
    Yogurts I have to buy for my son and cake I baked for my hubby's birthday. Even froze leftovers so I can't eat it right away. I did SO WELL when it was actual birthday! Ugh! ((((( I guess, I'm going to through it away
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Don't have it in the house.....then it's hard to have your melt down days.

i politely disagree, but if she had say ONE piece of chocolate cake, she would just defrost that one piece and eat it.

i'm that way with m&m's. i have about one pack in the house. if i want some, i get it. but if i want more, i need to go to the store and usuall i can convince myself otherwise.
  • You were tired, and your body was out of routine. You have a coping mechanism where you reach for food in those kinds of situations. Go back to that situation, think about how you were feeling... tired, cranky? What could you have done to combat that in a way that wouldn't have you reaching for a ton of food? Have a cup of tea, or other warm drink? Just a piece of fruit? Whatever you decide, fix it in your head as your battle plan for next time you're in one of those situations, out of routine, struggling. Basically make it your new coping mechanism.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you. I think this is it. When I fall out of my routine I have a feeling like everything is "falling apart", so I binge. Sounds so stupid! How can I be so stupid?!:mad: :explode:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I just want to reiterate what rluca said. I'm also an on and off again binge eater. I used to just eat mindlessly, but since coming on here, I've noticed that I'll eat really well for a few days and then something in my life will happen and I'll feel this need to devour an entire pizza or a tray of brownies. It's a strange feeling because when I do it, it makes me feel better emotionally, but I know it's not healthy. If that sounds familiar to you at all, then you might want to seek out a therapist.
  • rockylucas
    Where would I find professional help?

If you have health insurance you could contact a therapist in your area, and try to find one who specializes, or at least has some experience with eating disorders/binge eating disorders. If you did indeed need medication, they would be able to then refer you on to a psychiatrist for that. Topamax worked wonders for me, but that is not the case for everyone.

Finding specialized eating disorder treatment can be somewhat more difficult, I live in Kentucky and traveled 2.5 hrs, as the only therapists in this state who specialize in that are in the Louisville/Lexington area and I live in Eastern Kentucky. However if you contact your health insurer and let them know what you are looking for, they may be able to assist you in finding a provider.

Here is a website with more info...

http://www.bedaonline.com/
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    You were tired, and your body was out of routine. You have a coping mechanism where you reach for food in those kinds of situations. Go back to that situation, think about how you were feeling... tired, cranky? What could you have done to combat that in a way that wouldn't have you reaching for a ton of food? Have a cup of tea, or other warm drink? Just a piece of fruit? Whatever you decide, fix it in your head as your battle plan for next time you're in one of those situations, out of routine, struggling. Basically make it your new coping mechanism.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you. I think this is it. When I fall out of my routine I have a feeling like everything is "falling apart", so I binge. Sounds so stupid! How can I be so stupid?!:mad: :explode:

I don't think this sounds stupid at all... Where do you think the term "comfort food" comes from? (Not necessarily binging but the idea of eating to feel better emotionally.)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member

Hope this helps!

I don't think this sounds stupid at all... Where do you think the term "comfort food" comes from? (Not necessarily binging but the idea of eating to feel better emotionally.)

omg, i love comfort food. my go-to is something like a beef stew. so rich and hearty.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Where would I find a professional help?
    You could try to find out if there's a group like overeaters anonymous near you or ask your Dr for a recommendation for a psychologist. Or you could just look for one in the yellow pages.

Good luck!
  • Where would I find professional help?

If you have health insurance you could contact a therapist in your area, and try to find one who specializes, or at least has some experience with eating disorders/binge eating disorders. If you did indeed need medication, they would be able to then refer you on to a psychiatrist for that. Topamax worked wonders for me, but that is not the case for everyone.

Finding specialized eating disorder treatment can be somewhat more difficult, I live in Kentucky and traveled 2.5 hrs, as the only therapists in this state who specialize in that are in the Louisville/Lexington area and I live in Eastern Kentucky. However if you contact your health insurer and let them know what you are looking for, they may be able to assist you in finding a provider.

Here is a website with more info...

http://www.bedaonline.com/
    Thank you. I really do not want to do meds though....
  • You were tired, and your body was out of routine. You have a coping mechanism where you reach for food in those kinds of situations. Go back to that situation, think about how you were feeling... tired, cranky? What could you have done to combat that in a way that wouldn't have you reaching for a ton of food? Have a cup of tea, or other warm drink? Just a piece of fruit? Whatever you decide, fix it in your head as your battle plan for next time you're in one of those situations, out of routine, struggling. Basically make it your new coping mechanism.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. I probably should have back up plan with superlight comfort food. for cases like this one
  • rockylucas
    My favorite comfort food is Arctic Zero "ice cream", only 148 calories for an entire pint! The only drawback is the price, about 4.69 a pint and you can only get it at places like Whole Foods.

www.myarcticzero.com
  • My favorite comfort food is Arctic Zero "ice cream", only 148 calories for an entire pint! The only drawback is the price, about 4.69 a pint and you can only get it at places like Whole Foods.

www.myarcticzero.com
    THAT IS AWESOME!!! I will look for it. It won't fix the actual problem but if it happens again, it won't be so much damage.:flowerforyou:
  • My favorite comfort food is Arctic Zero "ice cream", only 148 calories for an entire pint! The only drawback is the price, about 4.69 a pint and you can only get it at places like Whole Foods.

www.myarcticzero.com
    THAT IS AWESOME!!! I will look for it. It won't fix the actual problem but if it happens again, it won't be so much damage.:flowerforyou:

I am definitly a binge eatter. It doesn't matter if its a healthier item or not...if you eat to much of it its not a good thing. I started Tomapax about a 6 weeks ago because I was hospitalized for my first migrane. I haven't had a binge since. Although the topamax makes my fingers and toes feel tingely I will deal with it because I like the loss of appitite. I'm not even sure it helps with my headaches but I want to stay on it because I feel that it helps my diet. I know you don't want to go the medication route, but if you change your mind a neurologist can also perscribe this to you as that is what its intended purpose is.