Daily or Weekly weigh ins?

Options
Annawan24
Annawan24 Posts: 287 Member
I started my journey 2.5 weeks ago and have only been weighing in once a week (Friday mornings). So far I've lost 5.6lbs, so I'm happy with that. However....

I'm wondering if it's more beneficial to be weighing in daily or weekly?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Personal preference and nothing else. There is no inherent benefit to either.

I typically weigh in 2 times per week...but sometimes just once. Ultimately it doesn't matter...the long term trend is going to show you the same thing either way. Some people like a ton of data...others don't care...I fall somewhere in the middle. I used to weigh in daily and ultimately determined it was not particularly necessary of beneficial for myself...in the end, the story is the same story and I ultimately didn't really see any benefit to the daily dose of detail.

Some people are interested in seeing what a salty day or a day over eating or a day of heavier carbs, etc will do to the scale...I personally didn't find any benefit in knowing these things beyond the fact that I already knew that certain things would play with the scale and experimenting simply validated my existing knowledge...so again...no real net benefit for myself.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Personal preference and nothing else. There is no inherent benefit to either.

agreed

regardless of how often you weigh in try to remember not to put too much stock into one weight in and let if affect your mood. sometimes the scale is your friend, some days less so. Focus on the trends over time and dont get hung up on any one weigh in if it doesnt meet expectation.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    whatever works best for you.

i weigh daily and log it on a separate app. on mfp, i log weekly and that is my official number.

just remember, if you weigh daily, you will see those daily fluctuations. some days, up, some days down. For people who get anxious over seeing that, they find weighing less often is more beneficial. some weigh as infrequently as every other week, or monthly.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Annawan24 wrote: »
    I started my journey 2.5 weeks ago and have only been weighing in once a week (Friday mornings). So far I've lost 5.6lbs, so I'm happy with that. However....

I'm wondering if it's more beneficial to be weighing in daily or weekly?

Monthly or bi-monthly.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am on the "personal preference" bandwagon, too. - I weigh weekly.

I'd recommend an added way to meassure your weight loss. Tape measuring. - Don't do that any more often than once a month, though. It's slower than weight loss. It is really, really nice, though, to see what "losing weight" translates to for losing cm. (And sometimes you may lose cm in a place when you thought you barely lost weight the last few weeks.) You cannot always see it, but the tape doesn't lie. - I honestly wished I had started using a tape measure earlier in my weight loss journey.
  • derbygraham
    derbygraham Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Each to their own. I weigh myself daily, always at the same time. I then log the weight in this MFP and I like to see the report graph build up. It also allows me to understand my body and try to identify things that have an effect. You cannot manage what you cannot monitor.
  • Annawan24
    Annawan24 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. For the past 3 weeks, I've been only weighing in once a week, but I think for this next week I'll try it daily as it may give me a clearer indication if I'm on the right track.
  • jennbo03
    jennbo03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My 16 year old son and I started 4 weeks ago and today was our weigh in. So far total he lost 7 pounds that includes 2 pounds today. Me on the other hand I lost 5 pounds and nothing today. I'm sticking to my fitpal calories intake, it's the exercises that's giving me a hard time. I have several health issues that limit my physical movements. If anyone has any suggestions for someone that suffers with MS and other arthritis issues I would really appreciate it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jennbo03 wrote: »
    My 16 year old son and I started 4 weeks ago and today was our weigh in. So far total he lost 7 pounds that includes 2 pounds today. Me on the other hand I lost 5 pounds and nothing today. I'm sticking to my fitpal calories intake, it's the exercises that's giving me a hard time. I have several health issues that limit my physical movements. If anyone has any suggestions for someone that suffers with MS and other arthritis issues I would really appreciate it.

weight loss happens in the kitchen. exercise is not required to lose weight, though it helps and there are certainly other benefits