Anything about taking insulin defies CICO for weight loss?hixh

Hello. At my wits end here. Trying to figure out why - after closely monitoring my diabetic mother’s diet for months - her weight has not budged.

She was about 175 lbs before she was put on insulin two years ago. Before, she was on metformin which made her nauseous. Since being on insulin her appetite has been ravenous and she is now almost 20 pounds heavier.

I took over her diet about 6 months ago after watching my dad - who did most of the cooking for her - make a simple cornbread - added sugar, mayo, and melted butter. Yikes!

But since then - after me making the majority of her meals - there has been hardly any change - down a pound, up 2. She’s completely dependent on family for her meals so she’s not sneaking anything. I’ve lost 30 lbs making similar changes, but while I’m not diabetic - I would’ve thought I’ve seen some loss for her - but nothing.

I can only conclude that my dad is sneaking her food (to him food is happiness and I’m sucking all the joy from them) or there’s something about the insulin. I’ve changed her diet significantly (lower carbs, fewer calories) to see some change. Her docs - paraphrasing here - since her A1C is where they want it to be - has been more like “she’s 81, happy, great appetite, stop stressing”. I just heard so much about how losing weight would help diabetes so surprised they weren’t more alarmed about the 20lb weight gain over 2 years.

Is there anything I’m missing here?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I would suggest you talk to her endocrinologist and maybe a reputable weight loss doctor.
  • JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    I agree with cmriverside. I would maybe make sure she hits her protein goals and that is about it.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    How do you know how many calories she needs and how many you are feeding her? You may be feeding her maintenance calories unknowingly.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    You didn't really give any details here that could help with answering the question...What are your stats compared to your mother's? That could be part of why what worked for you isn't working for her...your calorie needs are likely different from hers. Also, how many calories are you feeding her? What is your activity level compared to hers? What are these changes you made?
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    I would talk to her team. It should include a dietitian and they can best guide you.
    Awesome job on her having a great a1c!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    @psychod787 Thank you. Her endocrinologist didn’t seem too concerned, but I have not spoken to a weight loss doc.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Thank you for your helpful replies.

@cmriverside You’re my dad’s newest best friend! 😀. Fair question. I think I figured just based on all we’re taught about obesity, that any weight loss in any overweight person would be a positive outcome, no?

Now, if I thought I was stressing her - as in her feeling deprived, or unsatiated, I’d think differently. But she is 81 - and actually likes her size. Sigh.

@Ddsb11 @dragon_girl26 Youre right. She’s 81, 5’3, and completely sedentary. I’ve been giving her about 1350 calories a day (from some calculators her maintenance ranged from 1600-1700 a day). Hmmmm. I’m 56, 5’3, sedentary and losing about .25 week for the last year - went from about 141 - 114.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    You probably are feeding her a bit much. I am 57, 5'7" female, sedentary and I eat what your mother does to lose 0.5 lbs a week. I am also a former insulin dependent diabetic. It is difficult to lose weight as a diabetic since your dosage is tied to food quality and intake. Lows caused by too little food and too much insulin mean you have to eat to restore a normal blood sugar. If your mother takes insulin and has a decent A1C there is little benefit to losing weight at her age unless she wants to reduce insulin usage. If she is type 2 and takes oral medication, then she could entertain the possibility of losing weight to be able to reduce or eliminate medication.
  • Ddsb11
    edited March 2021
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Thank you for your helpful replies.

@cmriverside You’re my dad’s newest best friend! 😀. Fair question. I think I figured just based on all we’re taught about obesity, that any weight loss in any overweight person would be a positive outcome, no?

Now, if I thought I was stressing her - as in her feeling deprived, or unsatiated, I’d think differently. But she is 81 - and actually likes her size. Sigh.

@Ddsb11 @dragon_girl26 Youre right. She’s 81, 5’3, and completely sedentary. I’ve been giving her about 1350 calories a day (from some calculators her maintenance ranged from 1600-1700 a day). Hmmmm. I’m 56, 5’3, sedentary and losing about .25 week for the last year - went from about 141 - 114.

I’m getting numbers closer to the 1400’s in calories. You’re feeding her at maintenance I’m guessing. Which is great because we’ve likely solved the riddle. Your Dad is safe to come out now 😉
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I forgot to mention that I am a former insulin dependent diabetic due to a successful kidney/pancreas transplant.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @Ddsb11 Gosh. Do I hate the taste of humble pie, but I think you’re right. 🤔. I wasn’t using a food scale for her - and should’ve known better.

I assumed (and we all know what means) going to - for example - a breakfast of two boiled eggs and a slice of Ezekiel bread with sugar-free jam from a breakfast of pancakes dipped in molasses and bacon grease would eventually show up on the scale! 😜. Food scale, food scale, food scale. Thanks!
  • Ddsb11
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @Ddsb11 Gosh. Do I hate the taste of humble pie, but I think you’re right. 🤔. I wasn’t using a food scale for her - and should’ve known better.

I assumed (and we all know what means) going to - for example - a breakfast of two boiled eggs and a slice of Ezekiel bread with sugar-free jam from a breakfast of pancakes dipped in molasses and bacon grease would eventually show up on the scale! 😜. Food scale, food scale, food scale. Thanks!

Oh sorry- wasn’t intending to make you feel that way! Lol I apologize. Was just trying to brainstorm, and it sounds like it might be the culprit. Give it a shot, see if it helps?
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @Beautyofdreams Your response was very helpful. She took oral medication - which ravaged her stomach - daily digestive issues. She had no issues with insulin except she just doesn’t like getting poked - but the family does that.

What I also think happens is that - now that I know I’m probably feeding her at maintenance - my dad’s contributions may put her over her calorie needs. Longer story, but soon after the family had to learn this new insulin regimen, there was one incident where she was practically non-responsive (very low blood sugar) - we did what we needed to do - but it scared my dad. If her blood sugar is now on the low side - even if not troublesome- he’ll counteract it with some Little Debbie pastry and some non-diet soda, plus a half a banana. Sigh.

That’s great about your transplant! No insulin and no meds! Wow.

After 60 plus years of marriage, maybe I’ll just let my mom eat what she wants, and have my dad continue to cook for her (but can’t do the molasses and bacon grease!). 😳