Cyclists: how often do you shift?

2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I run a 11-32, but I have a lot of hills in the high teen percentages near me.
    Plus I'm an old fart!! :blush:

Had a converation on an event with a young chap riding a high-geared TT bike approaching one of the big feature climbs.....
    "Can I borrow your gears?"
    "Sure, but only if I can borrow your youth."
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    I rode 16 miles yesterday, 450’ elevation gain, so nothing really. I kinda half heartedly counted the old fashioned way. I probably shifted no more than 60-70 times on the rear. I’m sure that isn’t accurate, but I know it wasn’t in the hundreds. I shift up hill and downhill and then usually find a gear to match the cadence I prefer and run it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I'm on a compact with a 12-28.

And 28 mm tires. Since get more chain inches out of bigger (taller) rubber.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    You might consider switching to SRAM. The AXS, X-Range cassettes offer more 1-tooth jumps than their competitors. A 10-28 cassette is a straight block all the way up to 17. The combination of a smaller front ring on SRAM AXS drivetrains also means that you will be in your “sweet-spot” more often. The 48/35 or 46/33 chainring combos would work well here. Both offer a higher, high gear (@4.8 and 4.6 compared to 4.54 on the traditional 50). The lows are better on 46/33 (1.17) and similar on the 48/35 (1.25) compared to the compact 34 (1.21).
  • iPaint82
    iPaint82 Posts: 52 Member
    I have never counted. I study as much as I need to keep my cadence at 90-100
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    On my single speed... never.
    On my other bikes... probably more than I think/realize.