Guesstimate for zumba?

Options
I do Zumba 3x/week, and i'm not really sure how many calories I burn, although I do leave there drenched! Any idea how much is burned in a 1 hour class, where there's a 5 min warm-up, and a 5 min cool-down? Thanks!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    https://sites.google.com/site/zumbacaloriesburnt/

try here i dont know how accurate it is but it is something.
  • heathurr
    heathurr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I do my Zumba I usually use the "dancing aerobic, modern twist, ballet" or whatever that option is. :) I doubt it really covers all the calories I burn at zumba, but I'd rather underestimate then overestimate and think I can eat more.
  • joditenzer
    Options
    thanks guys!
  • janakip
    janakip Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I wondered the same thing and apparently it can vary from 450-600 calories per class. I guess it will depend on the intensity and your fitness level. This range is for a one hour class.

J
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i have been burning just under 700 cals in my hour long zumba class
  • zumba_smurf
    Options
    I bought a special watch that monitors my heart rate. I got it from Asda and it cost about 19.99. its fabulous as it tells me how may calories i burn. I ususally burn between 400 - 700 calories in an hour xxx
  • doinme2011
    doinme2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    go to www.zumbacalories.com
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I get 233 calories for 60 minutes (using another website) ... not sure if I can name the website here. The other website does know my weight, height, & gender.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor. I burn around 500 calories for an hour of high-intensity Zumba.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I wondered the same thing and apparently it can vary from 450-600 calories per class. I guess it will depend on the intensity and your fitness level. This range is for a one hour class.

J

Also, weight, age and height.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Deleted Duplicate Post
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    Unless you get a good HRM with a chest strap -- its all a guess.

People will tell you they burn 250-1250 an hour ---- and so will the "guestimate" sites.
    I've been doing it 5x a week for almost a year and no way in heck could I burn over 800-900 an hour.

If you use this: https://sites.google.com/site/zumbacaloriesburnt/
    I would choose LOW and then take off 50-100 calories -- that might be pretty close.

PS If you have an HRM without a chest strap -- you're still guessing.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I get 233 calories for 60 minutes (using another website) ... not sure if I can name the website here. The other website does know my weight, height, & gender.

that sounds like a very low burn to me
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options

that sounds like a very low burn to me

Not if the teacher isn't high energy, you don't know the dances and you spend most of the hour trying to figure out what the heck she's doing.... I've had classes like this :) I typically burn 450-550 with teachers where I know the routine and i actually step it up a little more.
  • joditenzer
    Options
    according to that website, at mid (which i'm estimating lower since I leave the class looking like I took a shower) I'm burning over 600 calories for 50 minutes (I don't include the warmups). Even if it's a little lower, that's 500 extra calories to use, which makes my day :)
  • sweat2lve
    Options
    go to www.zumbacalories.com
    thanks for the link and i have a heart monitor watch i got from walmart i think it is awesome tool
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've always logged it as aerobics - high impact and since I've been losing at the rate MFP says I should that seems to be right for me.