How to stop thinking about failing

Ok, So I don't have the best self belief in myself. I never have really.

I'm at my heaviest I have ever been. I have 4 stone to get to the weight I was the last time I was happy with how I looked... nearly 9 years ago. according to my BMI I need to lose another stone after that too. I feels like an impossible task at the moment.

My partner also has at least 5 stone (more like 6-7 if he would be honest with himself) and says he also wants to lose weight but he is the first to suggest a takeaway ( or he'll have a couple of cans on the weekend thinking they dont count for weight loss) So he is not really much support.

I am motivate to lose it for myself and for my daughters - not from a point of view looking better but from a health point of view. I'm too big and I know that.

However, I just have no belief that I can lose the weight, no matter how much I want to, which is having a real negative effect on my efforts to lose weight! I've had weeks where I have been 100% with it and logged every bite, weighed and measured everything on my plate and gone for walks, done exercise etc and at the end of the week havent lost any weight. This just reinforces that little voice in my head saying "you cant do it why bother trying?"

I'm not stupid, I know this isn't going to be sorted overnight, it took years and 2 pregnancies to get to this weight. I have a very close friends wedding next May - 61 weeks from now and I would love to be able to attend and feel good in myself. I know - logically, there is enough time to lose a good chunk of the weight (if not all of it) by then but I can't stop that voice in my head....

Anyone got any tips to help shut it up? any books, or motivational podcasts that might help?

The worse thing is knowing that only thing in my way is me and feeling powerless to get out of my own way.

Thank you for any tips

Replies

• TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    Exactly. Make a little change here and there and you will notice they start adding up. You didn’t gain the weight over night, and you won’t lose it over night. Good luck on your journey.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,060 Member
    Okay so I don't have as much to lose as you, I'll admit it. But the feelings you have are exactly the same as mine!

I try to see things in other ways. Like how ill feel in a years time when I'm the same weight or god forbid even heavier and. I just did nothing about it. I'll look back and think what a year wasted.

I know I'm going to fail some days. But i try to strive for progress, rather than perfection.
    If I have maybe 5 days of not meeting my goals, the next week I try beat that and only have 4 bad days. And if it goes worse and I have 5 bad days again, then I just try harder the next week.

I think accepting that some days are just not gonna go as planned really helps me stay on track a bit better, just by being more aware.

And when all else fails, I hop onto the "success stories" page, a lot of them are truly inspiration and motivation and shows no matter how big you are.. Someone else has done it, so why can't that be you!
    And some of the changes in the before and afters are phenomenal.

And I can almost guarantee that a lot of them may have fell of the wagon plenty of times!

I've also learnt, that doing an action gives me motivation, rather than waiting for motivation to do the action.

You will also have to to learn to say "No." to your partner. Which in my opinion is that hardest thing. And I don't mean telling him he can't have things either, I mean "No, I can't have a takeaway, you can if you like"
    You can't force him to eat like you, but if you don't indulge and stick with it, you might find he follows suit especially if he sees results.

And also, start small. I tried getting 8 cups of water in, from only previously drinking maybe two a day, if that.
    So day 1 and I drank 8 cups, same for day 2.
    I had to stop at day 3 because I could not stop going toilet. It was constant lol.
    So I went back to two and I've slowly been increasing it so my bladder doesn't have a breakdown lmao.

I hope anything in this babble helps, I tend to go on a bit, so well done if you read it all haha

And most importantly, you got this.
  • JJ1703
    JJ1703 Posts: 11 Member
    I never thought about changing the way I looked at it. I think because in my head to be healthy I had to lose the weight it seems logical that the only thing I need to judge success on is the numbers on the scale. :s

Small changes daily make it sound a lot less scary and easier to accept.

@Bex953172 I know what you mean with the water! I never drink enough water but when I have tried in the past to up the water - I spend all day running back and fore the loo! I'll try the same tactic, increasing it slowly ha.

@KHMcG and @TakeTheLongWayHome Thank you both for the replies, advice and luck!

• WaterLily82
    WaterLily82 Posts: 165 Member
    I love all the advice here!!

It’s awful when your worst enemy is yourself!! But changing your mind set to “healthy” instead of “skinny” will make a world of difference. Starting off with simply making a healthier choice makes the process feel more natural and puts less pressure on the need to lose weight as quickly as possible. If you stick with it, your healthy choices will snowball. For example, I was at the gym at 5:15 this morning. Two months ago I laughed at people who woke up early to workout! I never thought that would be me!! But it felt so darn good I’m going to do it again tomorrow! You can do this!!!
  • We just have to keep motivating each other. Waking up knowing that today's a new day. Leave your mistakes with yesterday.

I know exactly how you feel. I want this so bad and I'm just stuck. I was 220 at my heaviest and I always lose 20 pounds and then gain 20 pounds but can never seem to get any further. I'm down 22 pounds and really want to do it this time. I have four children, two with serious medical needs, so stress, no sleep and life just keep knocking me out....
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Take heart. There is reason for hope. And the reason is that calorie counting works. It has to work. It’s how our bodies are designed. But it doesn’t work like most people would like it to. If we have a significant amount to lose the two things that are needed are a downward trend and time. It takes a lot of persistence to lose much weight and keep it gone. Just how it is.

If you don’t mind I’ll tell you part of my story of how I lost over 100 lbs (its been gone for years) and saved my life. You’ll likely think this is stupid but it started like this- as usual I was feeling bad. I weighed 285 lbs, had HBP, sleep apnea, debilitating back pain and a seemingly permanent cough. I actually tried to not think seriously about changing. Why? Because I could find temporary comfort in the fantasy of changing. If I really tried and failed, I might have to give that up. Better to keep the dream.

But on this day I was feeling really bad. I needed to do something. But what? What might actually work? Nothing could be off the table. I could pack up some food and and exercise bike and drive north. Drive north as far as I could. I’d get snowed in with my exercise bike and just enough food to last the winter if rationed properly. Best take along some books, movies and a DVD player. )This was long before anyone had heard of the Biggest Loser.) That was my brilliant idea.

I had a wife, kids and a job. I couldn’t do this. But this- would it work as a weight loss plan? Yes. But my wife would nix it. OK plan 2. I’d do the same plan but do it by confining myself to the second floor of the house. My wife could bring my meals upstairs. That would be the only food I would get. Would that work as a weight loss plan? Yes but it would be vetoed as well.

How to fix this? I was desperate. Here, in about 3 minutes I had thought up 2 plans that I was sure would result in my losing a significant amount of weight. But I could not actually implement either of them. How to fix this? Then came the lightbulb moment. What was the problem? I could see myself losing weight, the problem was living my life while I did it. Dumb as it sounds, that’s how I discovered hope. I could lose weight if I could figure out how to live with the process.

Question, you describe a week of doing everything right without losing “any weight.” Is that any as in zero? Not a half pound? Not even .2? It makes a difference because the arguments to refute the voice in your head have to stick to the facts. One of the reasons I think I made it to goal weight is because I figured out how to argue with myself and win. I didn’t win every argument. Some things I’ve been arguing for years without a resolution. Just how it is. But I’ve argued effectively enough to keep the voice in my head from getting me to quit. And that’s really the only way to fail at weight loss- quit. So never quit.

A thing about the voice- it can’t stop. Not even when we sleep. But not everything that goes on in our heads is thinking. Thinking is deliberative process. We can’t think all the time. It’s tiring. So because our brains can’t stop they resort to filler. Plus our brains love repetition. Our brains would be happy if today was just like yesterday. Consider the popularity of TV reruns. Why do you think that is? Add to that our brains are wired with pathways. Just like walking in the woods, the worn pathway is the easiest. So when tired or stressed our brains are looking for the easy way out. How about that rerun of when we spilled our milk in the second grade and everyone laughed at us? Sure you find it distressing but its an easy tape to play so we will go with that. Just like we have behaviors that are bad habits, we have thoughts that are bad habits.

So finally to the point- how to stop thinking about failing? You can’t really. But you don’t have to act on that old bad habit thought. And you don’t just have to take it. Push back. Let’s talk about your disappointing weigh in. If it wasn’t actually zero I would tell myself something like this- I lost weight this week. The week is a success. Even that .2 loss is success. It’s a fact that to get to goal weight I had to lose that .2 lbs. Now it’s gone I can cross it off my list. But I want to do better next week. I had best look over my plan and food diary for last week and see it there might be a way to do better.

If weigh in was in fact a zero loss try this- Well, disappointing but my body doesn’t know this is weigh in day. My body isn’t a machine. Let’s look over my work for the week. Did I have a plan? Did I keep my food diary? How well did I stick to my plan? If I did all those things I had a good week. If I keep having good weeks I will make it to goal. I can only control my process. I can’t control the scale or the march of time. Just how it is. Can this argument be won like this? Probably not. But I’m not just going to sit by and let negativity take over my head. Wait until next week. If I keep sticking with my plan it will eventually show up at the scale. Just how it is.

Weight loss is mostly about problem solving and persistence. Don’t let your brain wreck you. Keep you eyes open for negative thoughts and push back any way you can. Never quit.
  • JJ1703
    JJ1703 Posts: 11 Member
    88olds wrote: »
    Take heart. There is reason for hope............. - - -………… Keep you eyes open for negative thoughts and push back any way you can. Never quit.

Wow. Thank you! This resonates so much with me. I've thought many times "if I could run off on be on my own for a couple of months..."

Its silly because I know I'm not along, but having you (and the other helpful individuals) making these comment that are so similar to the thoughts that are holding me back do give me such hope.

I understand what your saying about the voice never shutting up but just realising that I can actually argue back, Its a revelation that I actually feel so.... Well dull for not thinking about it before.

I don't expect that my thinking will change overnight., but I feel more equipped to deal with it after all the advice and support here.

Thank you x
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    One technique I've learned for anxious thoughts is to actually avoid trying to stop the thoughts, because it just makes me think about them more, if that makes sense. Instead, I allow myself to notice how I feel, accept it, and then move on. I don't judge myself for the things that flit across my mind, even if they're "negative." They're just there. I get to choose to let them affect my behavior or not.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    I don't have the wise words of the others here, but I have thoughts about starting out. First off, set your expectations appropriately! Comparison is the thief of happiness, especially if you're comparing apples to oranges. You're not living The Biggest Loser. You're not going to lose 15 lbs the first week because you're not going to extremes. Your friends who tried keto and lost 10 lbs the first week? It was water weight, and they were doing something different from just counting calories. A lot of people get started hoping for some big moment to encourage them along, and when it doesn't happen, they think they can't lose weight. Don't fall into that trap!

You might be like me, where you don't have big water weight swings. This is *excellent* news, because it means that the weight you're slowly dropping is actual fat, the stuff you want gone! You might not be like me, and you might be in the middle of a bloat - near your TOM? Logged your calories accurately, but ate too much sodium? This means the scale might be stuck for a week or two, but then you'll get a "whoosh" and you'll lose several pounds at once. You won't know until you stick with it a while and see how your body reacts. The best thing you can do is work on healthy habits and be consistent. If you're at this a whole month and you lose nothing, come back here, open your diary, and let's do some troubleshooting. But get some data going!

As was said upthread, you don't want to look back a year from now and think of the year you wasted not making progress because you didn't even try. Give it a whole-hearted, honest try. This community has got your back and will help you every step of the way.
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    I dont have a people scale, only a food scale I have not weighed in once. I will eventually weigh in but in the past the scale number was too much of a focus.
    My hubby sounds like yours always on wanting the chips and candies ect. Finally my no's have been heard and he doesnt offer. He gets them for himself and keeps them away.
    I picked one small goal to start. Food, and now have added walking.
    I know my clothes fit looser. I can tell its easier to move my body..
    My girls have noticed too. They mention how healty I eat compared to their Dad. Ive never used the word "diet" as for me that sets me up to not suceed.

You got this! Rock it!

• jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 46 Member
    Shift your mindset to this being a lifestyle change and not a diet or it won't work long-term.

Try not to focus on losing weight but rather on being/becoming healthy. I think a large part of why people have a hard time losing weight is because of the word lose. Basically any other context losing is considered bad. You lose your job, keys, pets, etc. It's infuriating, undesirable, and upsetting to lose stuff.

So when it comes to losing weight you're also battling a subconscious resistance to consider losing a good thing. So focus on the positive aspects instead of being healthier. More energy, etc.

Get some paper/a journal and write out all those negative feelings you have everyday. It does help a lot. By getting it out, it lets you focus less on the negativity in your thoughts. Gets the mindless chatter out of your head. After writing it out, you can trash it, burn it, or keep it if you want. You might want to google morning pages.

Start a gratitude journal. Doesn't have to be fancy. I use a college ruled notebook that cost me .25 cents on sale (same for my negativity journal aka morning pages).

This also helps shift your mindset from negative to positive. What's to be grateful for you ask? That's up to you. Everyday I write down I'm grateful to be able bodied in the sense that I'm not physically disabled (all my limbs/senses intact as of today although I wish the tinnitus would go the heck away and that I had perfect vision (I'm grateful I can hear and that I'm not blind as that could change in the future due to disease/accident). That the sun is shining, etc, that's getting warmer, etc.

Substitute don't for can't. Try saying you don't do that (eat an entire thing of cookies anymore for example) vs saying you can't. Notice how you feel emotionally and physically saying can't vs don't when you know you can do something even if it's bad for you.

When I say I can't even though I know I can, I feel kinda resentful and mad because I know I'm limiting myself that I can do that. When I say I don't do that, I don't feel like that. I feel more neutral. It's just something I used to do that I don't do any longer.

Find your why for the lifestyle change. Losing weight just to look good in your clothes is a temporary desire and easy to lose your focus on. Find a real why.

Mine is for as a healthy old age/aging as possible. I saw what my mom went through. I don't want to go through that if at all possible. So I'm trying to be healthier in my choices. Less doctor and medical stuff i go through the better and the more money I have to enjoy my future old age and do the stuff I want and can do rather than worrying about how to pay my medical bills and staying home due to sickness.

If weighing yourself is not a trigger for you, than try weighing yourself everyday. If I only weighed myself once a week, I'd get so down about my weight. Yesterday when I weighed myself I was 5 lbs up. Today, I'm 4 lbs down. Tomorrow, I might be up 1 to 2 lbs. Your weight can fluctuate due to water/food/salt intake, hormones, etc. (I've "gained" 2 lbs overnight from eating pizza even though it was within my calories. I know it's fake weight gain due to the salt and weight of the food. It reverses within a couple of days.) It can even depend on you moving the scale around. So find as a place for it and keep it there.

Average your weight for the week, as long it shows it's going down, than good.. If the trend of the average goes up or stops, then take a closer look at what you're doing.

HTH.