Lower sodium lunchmeat???

Options
I have been struggling finding a lower sodium lunchmeat. Even the "low sodium" that I found seems to contain more sodium than I would like. Anyone have any success with this??

Replies

• glittersoul
    Options
    You can buy a slicer. That way you can cook your own and cut it how you want and then you will be in control of the sodium. They do make 'low sodium' lunch meats, but they are still pretty high in sodium.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling finding a lower sodium lunchmeat. Even the "low sodium" that I found seems to contain more sodium than I would like. Anyone have any success with this??
    I agree the 'lower sodium' is still very high in sodium. I'm not so sure there is such thing as low sodium on processed meats unfortunately. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

ETA:
    glittersoul great suggestion! :drinker:
  • dorairwin
    Options
    Farm Land 260 sodium per a slice -Turkey , Oscar Meyers 180 I think .. They are all high in sodium
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    My best suggestion is to make your own chicken breasts (roast, boil etc...), and then season it yourself, and use it for sandwiches!! ;)
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware of how much sodium was in lunch meat until I looked up the nutritional info on the subway sandwiches I was eating...Now I eat veggie sandwiches. I really don't miss the meat...you can really have a filling sandwich with all sorts of veggies!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Not in my area. Even the low sodium has:flowerforyou: too much. I actually only use 1 thin slice just to give it a little more flavor and add a ton of lettuce and tomato.
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Certain lunch meat replacers are low in sodium and very high in protein. The Field Roast Grain Meat is particularly good. Only 270 mg of sodium in 3 slices and 12 grams of protein. They're pretty tasty and zero cholesterol to top it off.
  • GA_Gyrl
    GA_Gyrl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well I have found that the serving size is about 6 slices. So reduce the serving and you have reduced the sodium to at least half.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Buy your own roast or turkey breast and cook it yourself and freeze it. I cook either a beef roast or turkey breast every 3 weeks or so, slice it up and freeze it in zip lock baggies. I portion it out so that there is enough in the bag for 3-4 sandwiches, and pull a baggie from the freezer as needed/wanted. Much more than 3-4 sandwiches we get tired of it and are ready to move on to something else. I also bake off 2-4 chicken breasts every week and have them in the fridge for quick meals, salads or sandwiches. As long as you watch the labels on the poultry and avoid those with the injected "flavor enhancers" your sodium goes way down.
  • swoglom
    Options
    It depends on where you are and what you consider low... The deli dept. in our local store (Wegmans) carries a number of lower sodium meat products, including an oven-roasted turkey breast that has 40 mg sodium per serving -- very low for lunchmeat I think. I find that the serving size is about 2-3 slices for the turkey, but I usually get it sliced on the thicker side so it holds together. Wegmans is only in the northeast, so if you don't have one near you, I'd say try looking at your local store brand. They may have something similar.