Addicted to the scales

Im addicted to the scales and when they do t go down i lose motivation.
Can you still lose weight and the scales be the same number?
probly a silly question 🤪

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    The body weight scale can play tricks on your mind. Get a scale weight trending app, that may help you.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    You can be losing fat without the number on the scales going down, yes. Second the trending app, I finally have it through my thick skull that fluctuations are normal and aren't a reason to be dejected.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    whats the trending app?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    There's Libra for Android, Happyscale for iOS.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

Yep, these are the apps. The trending apps calculate your ”true” weight loss and show what they call trendweight instead of scale weight, using rolling averages and other algorithms to calculate your true weight loss that gets masked behind the fluctuations.

If the numbers continue to bother you and you can afford it, get a smartscale that sends your weigh-in info straight to your phone and have it synced to the weight trending app. Then put a piece of tape over the screen on your smartscale so you don’t even see the number on the scale, and focus on what the weight trend app says. That way you can still get weigh-in data every day (unnecessary, but understandable) but can only check the numbers when you’re in the right state of mind.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    thank you very much very helpful x
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Yes, there are times when the scale doesn't move.. but I shrink.. get smaller..clothes get looser.. So don't let it screw with your head. It is just the weight loss journey...keep with it.. I even notice it with my husband.. he weighs all the time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited March 2021
    hipari wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »

Yep, these are the apps. The trending apps calculate your ”true” weight loss and show what they call trendweight instead of scale weight, using rolling averages and other algorithms to calculate your true weight loss that gets masked behind the fluctuations.

If the numbers continue to bother you and you can afford it, get a smartscale that sends your weigh-in info straight to your phone and have it synced to the weight trending app. Then put a piece of tape over the screen on your smartscale so you don’t even see the number on the scale, and focus on what the weight trend app says. That way you can still get weigh-in data every day (unnecessary, but understandable) but can only check the numbers when you’re in the right state of mind.

To the bolded: No, they don't. Thinking that's what they do can trip people up. (I agree that they're very useful, BTW.)

What they really do is statistics-based calculations to give you a theory about the overall direction of your weight management efforts. The theory they produce, yes sort of a rolling average, can be less distorted than our brains' perception of daily scale weights, but it isn't magical "truth".

Recently, my trending app thought I was gaining, then maintaining, over a period of at least a month, when I knew I was actually losing fat very slowly. Sure enough, eventually the scale (and the trending app) reflected what I knew, from my trust in my process and trust in my knowledge of my calorie needs (after almost 6 years now of logging/tracking reasonably carefully). (FWIW, the context was that I'd added a couple of pounds of water weight from resuming progressive strength training, in a period when I was shooting to lose fat super slowly. That water retention distorted scale weight for quite a while, and deceived the trending app.)

Here's a different view:

We don't have a "true weight". When we step on a scale, we get *one* device's *momentary*
    snapshot of our body's relationship with gravity. Drink a pint of water, eat a big 250g apple, that weight will change instantly.

Instead, I believe, what we have is a "current range", and a "long term trend".

Over the past week, my daily AM scale weight has ranged from 123.4 to 126.4. (No, not in linear fashion, rather up and down, with those as the low & high points somewhere along the way. If it matters for anyone's contextual understanding, I'm 5'5", so around the upper end of BMI 20-point-something, low normal.) So, 123.4 to 126.6 is my "current range".

At the end of December, after my November birthday and some holidays, again looking at a week, my then-current range was 125.6 to 128.6. Conclusion: I've lost weight, from the end of December to now, *roughly* a pound a month. (Since I'm mostly in maintenance now, I haven't lost much, which is fine. Don't wanna buy new jeans!)

I'm probably being touchy about terminology here, I admit. There was one dude who was majorly angry when he went through the effort of installing and putting weight data into a trending app, only to learn - shockers! - that it didn't tell him his "true weight".

They're good tools. I like mine. It's still not a magical "true" anything, just a help.

As always, just my opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    edited March 2021
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited March 2021

What does addicted to the scale mean?

Some people weigh daily, and have an excel doc of their weight outlining any changes. Others have weighed and logged consistently for years. Many of us use a weight trend app.

What is your idea of addicted mean? Maybe you’re just unsure how to feel about weight variations and the importance of tracking consistently for peace of mind? Let us know what you mean and we can help navigate with you.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member

Well weight is weight. Unless your scale is broken the number is correct, and if it's the same or higher you didn't lose any weight.

BUT.... weight loss is rarely linear. You can do everything right as far as diet and exercise and not lose weight for a while. Hormones, sleep, water retention, your bathroom frequency, etc, etc all change things day to day, possibly even minute to minute. Though it various person to person, a lot of people have swings through the day. In my case it's not uncommon to see weight swings of 5-8 pounds over the course of a day.

If you obsess on the scale it won't move much faster or slower. But then again stress releases hormones, hormones and impact weight loss.... so maybe if you obsess it will change the rate of loss short term.

Use your scale as a tool, understand that weight loss is not linear, learn and adjust if needed.

I bookmarked this earlier to link the below. Being as @ninerbuff was the original poster, it's fitting that he beat me to it.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    adaacfhmd4zl.jpg
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    I know this isn’t what you asked, so feel free to ignore me, but for me if I had to make sure I was adequately “motivated” to stay on track, I would have failed long ago, because motivation comes and goes. And with maintenance, there isn’t any “high” from losing, it’s just almost the same way of eating with a few hundred calories more built in. It’s very boring and mundane.

Instead of motivation, I rely on the habits I have developed to get me through periods when I am not motivated. That way, no matter how I am feeling, I can sort of go on autopilot and make my standard breakfast and lunch, I’ve already tracked dinner, I do my workout during lunch bc that’s what I always do, etc. etc. Motivation fades, but habits remain.

Also, FWIW, I use this happy scale trending app as well. Best of luck!
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    If you're weighing yourself multiple times a day and it is having an effect on your mood and self esteem, then put the scales away for a while, go to weighing once a week. If you are strength training and you want to gauge progress then take measurements. Practice meditation and anti-anxiety measures, because you aren't really addicted to your scale, you are more likely overly anxious about your weight, which is also not good for your health.

You are more than a number on a scale.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I haven't weighed myself in 2 months. Ive stuck to my calories every single day. I do much better If I dont know what the scales say. It just messes with my head.