Goals for 2021?

Options
So what are your strength/fitness goals for 2021?

I'm trying to join the 1000 lb club (deadlift, squat, bench combined total) this year at age 52. I've been working on this since 2016 but minor injuries and just life keep getting in the way. Regardless, this is the year. I won't bore you with the details/lessons learned... but I'm pretty confident this is the year.

Replies

• happyness4me
    happyness4me Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I back tracked big time the last 1.5 years. My goal for 2021 is to make health and fitness a priority again. I would also like to look less fluffy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    400 lb deadlift, locked out.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Unassisted pull up
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make a goal of 7 consecutive pullups. I already crossed off one goal for January: 8.5 consecutive running miles
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Biggest one is recovery (back), which i am working on daily. I had to take over a year off from squat and deadlift.

If i can achieve that, then 300lb squat, 350 lb DL and 275 bench.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    In the short term, I'm looking to cut to be pretty lean in the next ~12 weeks. Overall, I want to stay healthy, consistent, and injury free. I'd love to get up to a 300 lb bench. I don't test maxes regularly, hit 285 in May '20 which was up 20lb from May of '19.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hand stand pushups unassisted
  • kbaby2020
    kbaby2020 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lose all the baby weight of baby #2 by 3 months postpartum. Baby is due in July. So far at 15ish weeks, I’m only up 6 lbs which is great because my first baby I was up about 13 lbs at this point hahah. 2022 will be a better year for making some more goals because I won’t be pregnant more than half the year 😂
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get back on track and consistent with lifting again. The pandemic put a monkey wrench on my ME time. I can always hit the main lifts with my bodyweight or more. Always weigh about 120-125lbs and can always bench, squat and pull beyond that. Would be nice to rep 225 on squats/DLs one day and I always wanted to hit the 300club on squats and deadlifts, BUT I'll settle for getting some consistency before firing up a plan.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    U
    billkansas wrote: »

I'm trying to join the 1000 lb club (deadlift, squat, bench combined total) this year at age 52. I've been working on this since 2016 but minor injuries and just life keep getting in the way. Regardless, this is the year. I won't bore you with the details/lessons learned... but I'm pretty confident this is the year.

Update: In the past three weeks my best deadlift, squat, and bench are 405, 305, 235 lbs or 945 lbs total. Only 55 lbs to go! Bodyweight is 225 lbs (fattest I've even been) but seem to be hiding it pretty well because I'm tall (6'-2"). Looking forward to my next cut after hitting 1000.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    U

Update: In the past three weeks my best deadlift, squat, and bench are 405, 305, 235 lbs or 945 lbs total. Only 55 lbs to go! Bodyweight is 225 lbs (fattest I've even been) but seem to be hiding it pretty well because I'm tall (6'-2"). Looking forward to my next cut after hitting 1000.

Awesome job!!
  • FossilFusion
    FossilFusion Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My goal this year is to repair my relationship with food, get healthy and when I hit 30 aim to make the 30s stronger, and healthier than my 20s :-)
  • Comms0p
    Comms0p Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    BE.CONSISTENT. Has always been my issue, especially with food. :#
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Goal is to finish bulk to ~185-190 and then cut down to ~9% at 175 or so at 5`7" and 55 years old.
  • rossbaker2
    rossbaker2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My big goals for this year were doing a pull-up and hitting the 1000 lb club.

I have been lifting and doing CrossFit for 4 months and during 21.3/21.4 of the Open Friday night I hit 18 pull-ups (kipping) in the scaled version of the workout and then tested squat/DL/bench Saturday morning and hit 1010 at 435/350/225 at 295 lb bodyweight.

So now my new fitness goals are to be able to string consecutive toes-to-bar, hit strict pull-ups, and the 1200 lb club and 1000 lb crossfit total (OHP instead of bench - right now I'd be around 920 lbs). Also want to try to get to 225 lb clean, 205 clean and jerk, and 185 lb snatch.

If I start to knock some of those down the next goal will be bar muscle-ups.
  • billkansas
    edited July 2021
    Options
    U

Update: Tested 1RMs in deadlift/squat/bench and currently stand at 410/295/245 or 950 lbs total. Only 50 lbs to go. Note: my squat went down after I started becoming obsessed with depth (hip crease below knee cap). So, I've been slowly trying to get deeper which lowered my 1RM as a result.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I finally hit a 3 plate bench after two years of trying. It was messy and my *kitten* was certainly an inch or two off the bench but I'm going to count it... so my goal now is to do that with proper form and get reps. I'm also trying to get a 30+ count dead-hang pullup set. I tested at the bottom of my cut at 192# and managed 23 - so a ways to go but for some reason past 20 I start to hit a wall that seems to be more conditioning than strength. So, I've started to train them a bit differently (less weighted pullups and more single set volume).
  • billkansas
    edited September 2021
    Options
    U

Update: Tested 1RMs in deadlift/squat/bench and currently stand at 410/295/245 or 950 lbs total. Only 50 lbs to go. Note: my squat went down after I started becoming obsessed with depth (hip crease below knee cap). So, I've been slowly trying to get deeper which lowered my 1RM as a result.

Update 3: Tested 1RMs this week and currently stand at 410/330/255 or 995 lbs total. Only 5 lbs to go. Failed my planned 415 lb deadlift due to injured ring finger- actually felt it "pop" on my failed attempt. :disappointed:
  • billkansas
    edited October 2021
    Options
    U

Update 3: Tested 1RMs this week and currently stand at 410/330/255 or 995 lbs total. Only 5 lbs to go. Failed my planned 415 lb deadlift due to injured ring finger- actually felt it "pop" on my failed attempt. :disappointed:

Update 4: Tested 1RMs today and results were 415/335/250 = 1000 lbs total. Used a hook grip on deadlift to avoid stressing my finger.. worked great. Bodyweight is 224, age 52, height 6'-2"- if any of that matters.

(Ideally I'd like to have gotten lower on my squat so depth was without question... that'll be a future goal).