Sodium = Water = Weight

Options
I have noticed that if I eat something really high in sodium, I tend to gain weight - somethimes as much as 1-2 pounds in one day.

After doing a little reading on the subject, sodium makes you retain water and thus, retain weight (to the tune of almost two pounds per quart!)

I have never given my sodium intake any thought, but I have now added it to the nutrients I track in my food diary (you can do that by going to "settings").

Generally it is reccommended that you limit your sodium intake to less than 2300 milligrams per day (and above 500 mg, though I can't imagine anyone having trouble staying above 500!).

I just thought I would share this nugget for those of you who may also be wondering where those "mystery pounds" are coming from!

HJC

Replies

• hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that if I eat something really high in sodium, I tend to gain weight - somethimes as much as 1-2 pounds in one day.

After doing a little reading on the subject, sodium makes you retain water and thus, retain weight (to the tune of almost two pounds per quart!)

I have never given my sodium intake any thought, but I have now added it to the nutrients I track in my food diary (you can do that by going to "settings").

Generally it is reccommended that you limit your sodium intake to less than 2300 milligrams per day (and above 500 mg, though I can't imagine anyone having trouble staying above 500!).

I just thought I would share this nugget for those of you who may also be wondering where those "mystery pounds" are coming from!

HJC
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info HJC.

Now I see and understand why I gained back my 2 pounds..... darn it! =)
  • hjcopeland
    Options
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    hi,

sometimes what we think is healthy isn't. check out the website crosscrunch.com. you will find 5 different menus and shopping lists. there are meal plans with proportions. if you follow it you will be eating healthy and you won't go over your sodium intake. you also need to exercise more. what are you doing for exercise now?
  • hjcopeland
    Options
    I run between 5 and 10 miles and cycle between 15 and 25 miles per week, and do various other cardio and strength training. What makes you think I am not exercising enough?
  • hjcopeland
    Options
    pamelawh:

What is your daily sodium intake with the crosscrunch/abcrunch diet?

If you have been entering your meals on this site, you can view this in the reports section under nutrition, or you can go to the food diary and click on settings, then change one of your nutrients to sodium.

Just curious!

Thanks,

HJC
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    I had to throw away my "Reduced Fat" Triscuits. I'm gonna miss those old friends.

A funny: I was at the hair salon and my long relationship with my stylist has taken many twists and turns.

She lost about 50 pounds in the last year, and when I asked her how she did it, she said, "I work out two hours a day at the gym, and I finally just had to divorce BEN & JERRY."

May my Triscuits rest in peace. (oh, BTW- I ate 28 of them at 1AM last night with 3 string cheeses - that would be 820 calories) Is that yesterday's food or today's. Either way it's no bueno.

I'm off for my 11 hours on the treadmill.

:-( CM
  • DionReino
    DionReino Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sweating it out and drinking lots of water!!! There are also supplements to aid water retention... unless you're hitting the beach and want to look dry like dandelion root