cardio at home without expensive equipment

Options
dklw
dklw Posts: 14 Member
Does anyone have ideas for extended cardio exercise without buying ellipticals or bikes? I can't do step due to knee problems but need ideas for exercise for bad weather days

Replies

• channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Zumba, Insanity, P90X, jump-roping, pushups, crunches, kettle balls, etc.
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Can you jump rope? If so I would buy a jump rope....I love mine
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing should get your heart up.

Minimal investment, reasonable cardio gains.
  • eboley637
    Options
    I was at ****'s Sporting Goods one day and came across an elliptical that was on sale for $550 when it was originally $2100 (floor model). I was able to talk the manager down to $150 when it was all said and done. I know it's not completely free, but it was WELL worth the money and has more than paid for itself. I have knee problems as well so I understand where you are coming from. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but good luck to you!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you use a smartphone there's an app called VirtuaGym that walks you through a nice workout step by step depending on your fitness level. They have a website as well.
  • eboley637
    Options
    I was at ****'s Sporting Goods one day and came across an elliptical that was on sale for $550 when it was originally $2100 (floor model). I was able to talk the manager down to $150 when it was all said and done. I know it's not completely free, but it was WELL worth the money and has more than paid for itself. I have knee problems as well so I understand where you are coming from. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but good luck to you!

Um, apparently the website thinks the name of the store is a bad word... HAHA! Sorry, made me giggle :laugh:
  • Tonyaton425
    Tonyaton425 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo, you will sweat so much and you can add light hand weights to add intensity. I love it
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    DVDs! There are thousands to choose from of all different level of intesity and impact levels so I'm sure you could find something that would not hurt your knees.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    LOW IMPACT - I hear you there.

I brought my step height down (6") .... (thinking about 4") - still hurts my knees.

Leslie Sansone Walk At Home will NOT hurt your knees. There are a couple free workouts at exerciseTV.com called Start! Walking 2 Miles and Cardio Slimdown (1 mile). You can bump up the intensity witih light handweights if you need to.

Also Netflix has tons of these for rent.

My favorite is 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk - Walk at Home DVDs are chaptered at the miles - so you pick & choose the number of miles you want to do. Walk Away the Pounds are good too - these are just older (not chaptered).
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    In the UK we have something called Freecycle you can sign up to, basically it's like bartering you put up all things you have that you don't want whenever you ahve some, and you look at the list each day to see what others are getting rid of. It's all free you just have to collect. I got my cross trainer that way, and it's a really good one and cost nothing. If not what about buying a dog lol!? (or borrow one?) I also have one of those and walk 4-6 miles a day with her and it is thoroughly enjoyable. I even prefer it when the weather is bad, it is so pretty in the snow. The other thing I would highly recommend is yoga if you do ashtanga power yoga that is an immense cardio work out and gentle on your knees.There is a free channel on telly for that one too :)
  • dklw
    Options
    Thanks all for the good ideas!
  • dklw
    Options
    Yes, we have Freecycle here as well. I have seen equipment sometimes listed there. trying not to bring more stuff into the house though.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    any access to a community pool?

swimmings a great workout
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Boxing.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    LOW IMPACT - I hear you there.

I brought my step height down (6") .... (thinking about 4") - still hurts my knees.

Leslie Sansone Walk At Home will NOT hurt your knees. There are a couple free workouts at exerciseTV.com called Start! Walking 2 Miles and Cardio Slimdown (1 mile). You can bump up the intensity witih light handweights if you need to.

Also Netflix has tons of these for rent.

My favorite is 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk - Walk at Home DVDs are chaptered at the miles - so you pick & choose the number of miles you want to do. Walk Away the Pounds are good too - these are just older (not chaptered).
    I have knee problems too. I have done alot of walking since I started this. My othopedic surgeon told me that I could walk but to stop if I had any pain. I could hardly walk a half mile but now I am going 4 miles with no pain.