I ate too much 😩🤢

Options
For some reason I was super hungry this morning. I was planning to have a nice little 200-calorie breakfast of scrambled eggs and black coffee, but I was still hungry so I had some cereal and a banana too, and it came to a total of 700 calories!! Agghhh! I feel pretty guilty about it and idk what to do. How can I make up for it? Do an extra workout later? Eat a smaller lunch and dinner? I really don't wanna exceed my calorie limit, I already exceeded yesterday's by 87 calories and was gonna try to make up for it today :(

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For some reason I was super hungry this morning. I was planning to have a nice little 200-calorie breakfast of scrambled eggs and black coffee, but I was still hungry so I had some cereal and a banana too, and it came to a total of 700 calories!! Agghhh! I feel pretty guilty about it and idk what to do. How can I make up for it? Do an extra workout later? Eat a smaller lunch and dinner? I really don't wanna exceed my calorie limit, I already exceeded yesterday's by 87 calories and was gonna try to make up for it today :(

It's one day...one single little day. Start doing things like unplanned workouts to punish yourself and whatnot is a very slippery slope towards unhealthy and disordered thinking towards food and exercise. It's just one little day...actually, just one meal. In the grand scheme of things it's completely irrelevant.
  • fakehippie
    fakehippie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Well, dump the guilt, for starters 🙂 it doesn't serve any purpose and just makes you feel bad.

Life happens, every body has an oops moment now and again. I would make sure I couldn't learn anything from it (for example: "running makes me super hungry the next day, I'd better take that into account" or "my weight loss rate is too aggressive, it's making me binge") and otherwise just move on.
    You can try to compensate a little by eating a smaller lunch or dinner or exercising, but be careful that you don't go too far and get into a binge-restrict cycle!

Thanks for the advice and reassurance! Is a 700 calorie meal considered a binge?? Crap, I didn't know it was THAT bad :/
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Well, dump the guilt, for starters 🙂 it doesn't serve any purpose and just makes you feel bad.

Life happens, every body has an oops moment now and again. I would make sure I couldn't learn anything from it (for example: "running makes me super hungry the next day, I'd better take that into account" or "my weight loss rate is too aggressive, it's making me binge") and otherwise just move on.
    You can try to compensate a little by eating a smaller lunch or dinner or exercising, but be careful that you don't go too far and get into a binge-restrict cycle!

Thanks for the advice and reassurance! Is a 700 calorie meal considered a binge?? Crap, I didn't know it was THAT bad :/

Well no, not necessarily (depends on how you define bingeing I guess). But if you 'punish' yourself for it by going too strict, you might end up bingeing afterwards, and then being too strict again to make up for it, etc etc. It's an unhealthy cycle you want to avoid 🙂
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Dang, my dinner last night was 700 calories! Can you get in some exercise to increase your daily calories a bit? Don't stress about it and don't punish yourself, I understand how hard that can be.
  • fakehippie
    Options
    Dang, my dinner last night was 700 calories! Can you get in some exercise to increase your daily calories a bit? Don't stress about it and don't punish yourself, I understand how hard that can be.

Thanks, that's kinda reassuring lol
    I already exercise every day. I run 5-7 days per week, it's a pretty efficient calorie burner. But then it makes me even hungrier lol
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie limit 1200 calories? Unless you're very short, old, sedentary, or some combination of those three, you probably can have a higher calorie limit still lose weight at a decent rate. If you're so hungry that you're having trouble sticking to your planned meals, you need to take a look at 1) if you're eating an appropriate amount of calories and 2) if you're eating food that keep you satiated.

Also, treat your calorie goal more like a range, and feel good if you're within 100 calories (but hit that minimum of 1200 if that's where you're set - you need the nutrients). Going over by 87 calories? Pssh.

I have one day a week where I relax my goal and eat around maintenance. It keeps me from being hangry long term. If you need to, let today be your maintenance day, eat so you're satisfied, and get back at it tomorrow.
  • fakehippie
    Options
    Is your calorie limit 1200 calories? Unless you're very short, old, sedentary, or some combination of those three, you probably can have a higher calorie limit still lose weight at a decent rate. If you're so hungry that you're having trouble sticking to your planned meals, you need to take a look at 1) if you're eating an appropriate amount of calories and 2) if you're eating food that keep you satiated.

Also, treat your calorie goal more like a range, and feel good if you're within 100 calories (but hit that minimum of 1200 if that's where you're set - you need the nutrients). Going over by 87 calories? Pssh.

I have one day a week where I relax my goal and eat around maintenance. It keeps me from being hangry long term. If you need to, let today be your maintenance day, eat so you're satisfied, and get back at it tomorrow.

Yeah 1200 is my limit, lol how'd you know? I do eat back my exercise calories though, so usually it's closer to 1500-1700 (depending on how much I run that day).
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Maybe put this in the "lessons learned" column and move on :-)

In the future, prelog to get a calorie count before you eat. I've saved myself several big helpings of regret that way. "Oh crap! I guess I WON'T be having that buttered toast today!"
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options

Yeah 1200 is my limit, lol how'd you know? I do eat back my exercise calories though, so usually it's closer to 1500-1700 (depending on how much I run that day).

So if you really exercise for 300-500 calories and eat them back then you're still only eating 1200 calories. If you not ate them back then you only ate 900-700 calories. Thus good that you eat your exercise calories back. But: working out and eating so little is still slightly worrying. Do you want to share your stats: current and goal weight, size, and age? It's quite possible that your weight loss goal is far too aggressive, and then it's not surprising that you get very hungry;
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    I had a sausage butty this morning, I just really wanted one, cost me 500 calories lol!
    I have exercised today which has helped keep me within my calories but I rarely exercise, one off today haha.

But normally, I try keep within my calories. But some days (like you're having today) it's just not possible. So I have 2 useful "fall backs" when I'm going over 1200.

Firstly, try keep it to no more than 150 over. And if that fails, I try keep it below whatever my BMR is. (your BMR is the amount of calories your body will burn itself in a day at rest)

Also, scrambled egg sounds nice! Bananas good aswell, thats a decent breakfast, I know you said you were still hungry but I would have left the cereal (because that's higher calories) and had a couple of cups waters.

I also have a cup of water before a snack, and if I'm still hungry after the water then I am indeed hungry and have the snack.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Being over by 87 yesterday is totally fine and you shouldn't fret over that.
    Strive for progress, not perfection

I've found this journey isnt straightforward, I have to keep changing things and tweaking things and even when it seems I've got everything on track I might have a week from hell or the weather warms up so I change my food options and I have to tweak things again.
  • fakehippie
    Options
    I had a sausage butty this morning, I just really wanted one, cost me 500 calories lol!
    I have exercised today which has helped keep me within my calories but I rarely exercise, one off today haha.

But normally, I try keep within my calories. But some days (like you're having today) it's just not possible. So I have 2 useful "fall backs" when I'm going over 1200.

Firstly, try keep it to no more than 150 over. And if that fails, I try keep it below whatever my BMR is. (your BMR is the amount of calories your body will burn itself in a day at rest)

Also, scrambled egg sounds nice! Bananas good aswell, thats a decent breakfast, I know you said you were still hungry but I would have left the cereal (because that's higher calories) and had a couple of cups waters.

I also have a cup of water before a snack, and if I'm still hungry after the water then I am indeed hungry and have the snack.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Being over by 87 yesterday is totally fine and you shouldn't fret over that.
    Strive for progress, not perfection

I've found this journey isnt straightforward, I have to keep changing things and tweaking things and even when it seems I've got everything on track I might have a week from hell or the weather warms up so I change my food options and I have to tweak things again.

Thanks, that's reassuring :)
    I'll try the water before snack thing! I've heard of that before, but I often forget to do it lol
  • fakehippie
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

So if you really exercise for 300-500 calories and eat them back then you're still only eating 1200 calories. If you not ate them back then you only ate 900-700 calories. Thus good that you eat your exercise calories back. But: working out and eating so little is still slightly worrying. Do you want to share your stats: current and goal weight, size, and age? It's quite possible that your weight loss goal is far too aggressive, and then it's not surprising that you get very hungry;

Starting weight: 105 lbs (110 lbs before MFP)
    Current weight: 101.7 lbs
    Goal weight: 95 lbs
    Height: 5'3.5

I feel like 1200 net calories isn't too bad, it took some getting used to and I have to be cognizant of how much I'm eating, but it's really not that bad considering that I eat back my exercise calories.