ReNew

Hello, I’m a middle aged women who continues to battle with weight, muscle & joint pain. I feel if I concentrate on nutrition more I can loose the unwanted weight and inflammation. I’m going use MFP along with my Apple Watch to get a better understanding how the food choices I make are effecting my progress with daily movement, sleep, and meditation/gratitude! I’ve set my goal @ 10 lb. loss increments over the course of 9-12 months, I truly wish to instill the nutrition knowledge into a full time lifestyle change! Excited to Renew!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Welcome, I hope it all works out for you!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    edited April 2021
    You describe me. In 2019 I was well over 200 pounds, with chronic joint pain and GERD.

Weight loss has been life changing. Joint pain is mostly gone. If I have a pain now, it’s exercise related. It may be overwork, but I know where that pain has come from and what I need to back off of to make it heal. It’s not the creeping, insidious pain that sucked the joy out of getting out of bed.

The GERD is also long gone.

People here may tell you the Apple Watch doesn’t play well with MFP. I’ve had no such problem whatsoever. If you have any problem with setting it up, post here or “friend me” and I will walk you through it.

MFP in tandem with the micro powerhouse that is my watch is simply amazing.

Closing rings, participating in Apple Watch Challenges, even the niggling little stand reminders are all very motivating. The developers out a lot of thought into it and if you’re as OCD as I am, it will really make you get off your butt.

Food choices is something you’re going to have to figure out for yourself. Pay attention to what foods satiate you, which foods give you a lot of bang for your buck, and learn and be mindful of the ones you will come to realize couldn’t fill a bottomless pit. You’ll find lots of good advice over on the Food and Nutrition board- the Volume Eaters thread was helpful to me, and I’ve gotten some great snack and meal tips off the Obsessed thread and others.

Best of luck.

I sound like a broken record, but if I did this, YOU can, too!!!!
  • fltmyr1
    fltmyr1 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you so much; Yes, my Apple Watch is working great with my App...things are on not syncing online with my existing account but that doesn't bother me so much. Use my phone App. With just a week in I am finding the Nutrition to be the best insights with my Macros--Wow; the fat I have been eating thinking I was eating semi clean trying to follow a paleo with lots of cheating!!! OMG - being mindful and seeing what is putting me well over the calorie intake is really showing me why the weight has backed back on. I want to be back to my crossfit days and feeling good about myself. 30 lbs excess is taking my life from me.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Calories are king. If your within your calorie goal and it’s filling you up, you’re fine.

Try changing your settings to weekly view for a minute.

I find that every time I panic that one macro or the other is too low, a weekly view shows they average out, so I can heave a sigh of relief.

And don’t forget to change back to daily view, lol.

5h1vivy2nk90.jpeg
  • fltmyr1
    fltmyr1 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you, I will try that. I had to switch my online account to the apple ID and a different email address! I am all set now for app and online tracking and posting! I got this.
  • AuthorMatthewV
    AuthorMatthewV Posts: 85 Member
    Hi! I’m new here but have been using the app for a while. I’m a macro guy. At 52 I can’t eat like I used to but I’m in pretty good shape but want to maintain so that I won’t be embarrassed at the beach. Lol.

Macros with calories are the combo that has been working for me.

Stay focused, be forgiving when you fall off one day or two, bit get back at it the next. You’ve got this.