20lbs down in 3 months, this is just the beginning!

valspaeth
valspaeth Posts: 50 Member
Like many others, I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. I have lost weight before but never quite got to my goal weight and always ended up gaining it all back and then some. I realized I needed to do something this winter when I reached my highest weight ever. I had already gained quarantine weight, then I broke my ankle in September and gained even more since I was sitting around all day. That ended up being a blessing in disguise because I realized how much I missed moving, hiking in particular. I decided I was tired of feeling tired and out of shape and I needed to do something about it.

At the end of December I got the OK from my orthopedic doctor to start walking  more and start physical therapy. I decided what better time to take my life back than a fresh start at the beginning of the year. I started tracking my calories and drinking 100oz of water per day. As my ankle felt better, I slowly added in more exercise. I am now lifting heavy (Stronglifts 5x5) 3 days per week and taking at least 1 hour walks 3-4 days per week. The heavy lifting has transformed my body already and I feel so much better and stronger. I went from barely being able to walk around the block to squatting 150 pounds! My lifts aren't very impressive but they're improving. Right now I'm at squat - 150lbs, bench - 67, barbell row - 76, overhead press - 50, deadlift - 130.

Here are my stats:
27 year old female
5'1" tall
SW 213.6
CW: 193.2
GW 130

Tomorrow will be 90 days in a row of logging my food! I think that is a huge part of my success this time around. In the past I would take weekends off or just give up after a few days, but this time I have really been sticking to my plan. I have MFP set to lose .5 pounds per week, which right now is giving me about 1700 calories per day. That is plenty for me most days, sometimes I eat the 1700 and sometimes more in the 1400 range depending on how hungry I am. I do not eat my exercise calories back which partially explains why I've been losing at a much faster rate than .5 pounds per week. I do expect my loss to slow down as I lose more, but I am happy with how far I have come and motivated to continue! I'm most looking forward to hiking this summer being much easier than last year. Another benefit I wasn't expecting is that I have Crohn's Disease and logging my food has given me more insight into which foods cause problems for me so I can avoid them.

I always get so much motivation from reading these success stories and I hope my story will help motivate someone else!

boh6ngb5xexs.jpg

5xsdv868v0bq.jpg

Replies

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited April 2021
    30lbs in 3 months - impressive. Love that you are looking forward to exercising more easily - me too! I hurt my back during lockdown - working from home in the first with no desk, suitable chair & laptop raise! Now over that for the most past, even though only 7 lbs down, I’m also looking forward to moving more & getting out with the dog! Good luck as you continue & happy hiking!
  • valspaeth
    valspaeth Posts: 50 Member
    Janatki wrote: »
    30lbs in 3 months - impressive. Love that you are looking forward to exercising more easily - me too! I hurt my back during lockdown - working from home in the first with no desk, suitable chair & laptop raise! Now over that for the most past, even though only 7 lbs down, I’m also looking forward to moving more & getting out with the dog! Good luck as you continue & happy hiking!

Only 20 pounds, 30 would be a ton! That's great! My dogs are loving all of the walks but they'll be extra happy when we get back to hiking :)
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    nice work
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Way to go. You have some good insights and have began to see what works for you and what you need to do to continue
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!