How to build enough energy, to start building more energy? oof

Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
What a pickle.

I'm in the worst shape of my life, and now that I am a "remote worker" all mandatory exercise has been removed from my life.

I was good for about a week and a half doing cardio and some body weight exercises. I'm not new to this, I don't need to learn about nutrition or how to properly exercise, but I am COMPLETELY void of energy.

Just rolling out of bed feels like it takes a large chunk of my energy reserves. Normally exercise builds more energy, but there is some sort of hump I'm not able to get over. I'll wake up at 7am and find myself going to lay down at 6pm exhausted.

I suppose the answer is "just do it", and "try and try again". But I'm so tired. Always so tired. 20 minutes of cardio and 30 push ups makes me sleep for 12 hours. Not to mention eating 2200 calories somehow makes me feel like I'm starving. Absolute worst shape of my life.

Motivate me or tell me how to escape this :) This year+ long lock down may literally kill me, as I've put on over 100lbs in the blink of an eye.

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Just to tack on, I even quit smoking, and cut down on coffee, about a month ago. It hasn't helped, surprisingly. My energy levels are that bad that I was willing to quit cold turkey. I eat my veggies. I take a multi. :shrug: It's noon and I'm ready for bed
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Look at your protein.

Also get bloodwork done at the doctor, if you haven't.

That said, the thing that did most for my energy was... losing weight. As in my TDEE has gone UP weight lower weight so I'm eating more to maintain now than I was 35lbs ago.
  • Geocitiesuser
    That said, the thing that did most for my energy was... losing weight. As in my TDEE has gone UP weight lower weight so I'm eating more to maintain now than I was 35lbs ago.

That's the challenge. Building up enough energy to continue losing weight/building health. As it stands now, even if I ate 1800 calories I day, I'd lose a miniscule amount do to the extreme lack of energy and exercise. I work on a computer. I don't.... move. At all.

In the past I at least had a baseline of walking to my car and into/out of an office. Now I'm so out of shape that I just literally don't move. So... might be a bit of a different situation.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    What is your age?...how much overweight are you?...have you been checked medically?...do you suffer from depression?

Any of these factors could be the reason you are tired...too many “ ifs “ to give you any advice
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don’t mean to sound like a hard *kitten*, but you either do, or you don’t.

It’s there on the other side, waiting for you, but no one can push you there except yourself.

You either accept where you are, the aches, pains, GERD, exhaustion, the frumpiness and dumpiness, and everything else that goes with it, or you make up your mind that this is the day.

This is all said with much love. Trust me, I’ve been there, so I know what you’re feeling. I still have days like that, but now for different reasons. (Pollen season and yoga butt, I’m looking at YOU!)

hc1q4dg8slls.jpeg
  • Geocitiesuser
    Well yeah, i even said that in my original post. The will is there, but the energy there. There is a physical barrier that I can't seem to get past. Like I said, moderate exercise causes me to sleep for 12 hours, and I'm in pretty dire straights.

So I'd be curious to hear from other people who were in that situation, that can offer their story or inspiration.

"If you want to be a millionaire just make more money duh"
  • Geocitiesuser
    I now regret coming here looking for words of advice or inspiration :) So silly of me. I'll deal with it on my own.
  • springlering62
    If you want “stories”, here is mine. I have lost more weight since posting this. Ultimately went too low (which still sounds unbelievable to me) and deliberately chose to put a few back on.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10763291/my-turn-to-overshare-my-adventure/p1

I sincerely hope you will stay with MFP and post in the forums and let us know how you do. The forums here have been helpful beyond any words I could ever express.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Well I'm not OP but I got great inspiration from the above responses.

I'm not new to weight loss, I lost and maintained a 70 lb loss for several years. But this year I packed on fat. I barely exercised and started eating crap foods that have zero benefit and eating in excess. And I'm 59..i cant jump around or run like the old days.

I had a wake up call and you all gave me a lot to think about.

I've also been in sales so I too have heard all the seminars..make a plan! And follow the plan!

I've got a goal of a hiking vacation this fall. And darn it..I'm going to do it!

Thanks!
    @springlering62
    @sijomial
    @Nony_Mouse

About the only thing I would have harped on a bit more after scanning the thread is... a doctor's visit by the OP.

Given the symptoms, if she were someone I knew IRL, I would be concerned about depression, iron/red blood cell levels, maybe even thyroid levels and would like to know that a competent professional had ruled out basic health issues as factors in terms of how she felt...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    OP, if you are peeking in to see everyone’s reaction to you deleting your account - there’s no shame in admitting you overreacted.

There are really only two possibilities - there’s something physically wrong or there’s something mentally wrong. Because sleeping all day and being exhausted all the time isn’t normal. It’s not a personal failing. Something is wrong. Due to the timing I’m guessing you are suffering from depression, which is a real problem, caused by chemicals in your brain, and not something you can just decide to ignore and get over. But it could be a physical problem. There are a million and one possible physical problems so I’m not even going to make suggestions. But you need to see a doctor. Use whatever limited energy you have to get yourself a doctor’s appointment and go to it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I'm not new to weight loss, I lost and maintained a 70 lb loss for several years. But this year I packed on fat. I barely exercised and started eating crap foods that have zero benefit and eating in excess. And I'm 59..i cant jump around or run like the old days.

I've also been in sales so I too have heard all the seminars..make a plan! And follow the plan!

I've got a goal of a hiking vacation this fall. And darn it..I'm going to do it!

Thanks!
    @springlering62
    @sijomial
    @Nony_Mouse

About the only thing I would have harped on a bit more after scanning the thread is... a doctor's visit by the OP.

Given the symptoms, if she were someone I knew IRL, I would be concerned about depression, iron/red blood cell levels, maybe even thyroid levels and would like to know that a competent professional had ruled out basic health issues as factors in terms of how she felt...

It's a male. He was into martial arts, and there's a thread he started over a year ago with him breaking boards--hook kick.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 89 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Thanks!
    @springlering62
    @sijomial
    @Nony_Mouse

Seconded.

OP asked, “Motivate me or tell me how to escape this”, and if OP quit less than 3 hours later reading replies from those who were trying to do either (or both), then for me that’s a sure sign that there’s something wrong and they need advice from a doctor.

[Unless, of course, flouncing off in a huff is ‘very normal’ for the OP, in which case it isn’t an additional symptom, just a life choice.]
  • springlering62
    @bebeisfit i had a walking pilgrimage scheduled in Spain last year. I had a good time “practicing” around town with my loaded backpack, although I got some oddball looks. I hope your hiking trip happens and is WONDERFUL.

@corinasue1143 i see you around all the time but this is the first time I’ve heard your story. You completely inspire me.

When I was really struggling with a project we had invested heavily in, my husband said something that resonated with me. “Don’t stress, Mel. It’s better than it was before.”

I may not run fast or far, my squats may not be “*kitten* to the grass”, I’m a scaredy cat with switch-kicks, the belly roll may frustrate me, but everything is better than it was before.