Exercising with a sprained ankle- HELP!

Options
Hello everyone, hope you are all having a good weekend! I am a martial artist of 17 years and I sprained my ankle pretty badly while training today, so much I am not really able to walk. What kinds of exercises should I do to stay on track while I heal? I was doing so well and don’t want to lose progress. 😭 Thanks!

Replies

• Treyy_Millz_7
    Treyy_Millz_7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, hope you are all having a good weekend! I am a martial artist of 17 years and I sprained my ankle pretty badly while training today, so much I am not really able to walk. What kinds of exercises should I do to stay on track while I heal? I was doing so well and don’t want to lose progress. 😭 Thanks!

Ouch! Sorry to read of your injury. I would probably Just keep everything bench-based/ seated-machine based, if possible. I would definitely avoid doing anything that involves putting any strain on that foot as you could end up putting yourself out of action for a much lengthier period and we definitely don't want that! The foot is one of those tricky areas where you just need to allow it to heal - maybe just some upper body stuff til then
  • lilninjakitty
    lilninjakitty Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Ouch! Sorry to read of your injury. I would probably Just keep everything bench-based/ seated-machine based, if possible. I would definitely avoid doing anything that involves putting any strain on that foot as you could end up putting yourself out of action for a much lengthier period and we definitely don't want that! The foot is one of those tricky areas where you just need to allow it to heal - maybe just some upper body stuff til then

Thanks so much- injuries always happen right when we feel like we’re finally getting in the swing of things LOL. I’m gonna try this, thanks!
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have serious ankle problems and have been doing seated exercises from HASfit. I’m sure they would not be challenging enough for you, but maybe you could modify them to work for you? By using heavy dumbbells? Just a thought.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    There are some higher-intensity seated workout routines on YouTube that are targeted at serious wheelchair athletes. I'm sorry not to be able to offer a link, but noticed them with interest when I was researching milder forms of seated exercise for someone. Since I stumbled over some, should be easy to find some and 'audition' them for suitability.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Did you have it looked at by a doctor? One of the signs that it *could* be more than a sprain is not being able to walk on it.

Been there. Hope I'm wrong. Last time I sprained an ankle it was pretty bad, but it did start feeling better in a couple weeks.
  • lilninjakitty
    Options
    Thank you guys for your suggestions, I will definitely have to check them out! I had an x-ray yesterday and it was negative, so they told me to just follow up with an ortho this week if it doesn’t get better. 🤷‍♀️ I’m not a stranger to ankle sprains but this one has been one of my worst!! I’m definitely going to try your suggestions out!
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,192 Member
    Options
    Look after your ankle. I ignored one and I'm now over a month and it still hurts.

Perhaps some upper body boxing workouts? There's lots of seated cardio workouts out there as mentioned before. What about some mat Pilates? Get some core work in?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    get a mini bike and pedal with your arms. i can get an increased heart rate and break a sweat if i work at it. mine is the magnetrainer, which is very nice quality, smooth and quiet with lots of adjustments and a larger-than-most-small-bikes 10" crank rotation, but i used to use a cheaper, smaller one and it worked, too, after some adjustment to the belt.

hope your ankle gets better soon!
  • dnardo25
    dnardo25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago so I have been doing stationary bike and low impact HIIT and circuit workouts (no jumping/plyometrics). Ankle sprains are the worst 😑
  • lilninjakitty
    Options
    dnardo25 wrote: »

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago so I have been doing stationary bike and low impact HIIT and circuit workouts (no jumping/plyometrics). Ankle sprains are the worst 😑

Isn't it the worst? You land wrong once and your ankle's messed up for days... karate is all about bouncing in a fighting stance so definitely none of that for me for a bit xD I hope you feel better soon, too!