Looking for recipes that are vegetarian, keto/low carb

Options
Hello everyone!

I am very new here and I am looking for recipes that are...
- vegetarian (or vegan)
- keto / low carb

and if possible
- not too difficult
- freezer friendly to cook in batch (i live alone and have little to no time to cook)

Please share your best ideas, recipes, links with me!

Thank you very much
Mathilda

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing Keto/low carb?
  • LittleFox93
    LittleFox93 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    From past experience, I have found that the kind of food that pleases me the most (taste/happiness factor) while keeping me away from cravings/headaches/mood swings was a generally high fat (healthy-ish fats) and protein packed diet. I also have a much easier time leaving all "sugary stuff" and carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes) out of my diet than leaving the general fat/protein stuff. I learned only recently that there's a whole "keto/low-carb" label that would describe best the diet I had back then and that I had the least problems following.
    I gained weight after that because of 3-4 years of a bunch of very unfortunate events (cheated on, divorced, both parents heavily sick, lost my job, and it kept piling up).
    So I am not looking to follow a strict women diet magazine label, but the recipes that I wanna find are mostly described as keto or low carb. Hope this clears it up! x
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Ah. Vegetarian and low carb are difficult ways to eat. I lost weight and maintaining my weight with foods I like to eat. Plant based mostly. I got a food scale, weighed everything I ate, and for me, it was a piece of cake. When you start eliminating macros things get tricky. Do you plan on being low carb the rest of your life? Because carbs are not bad for you. I’m a big fan of learning how to eat without eliminating any foods.
  • LittleFox93
    LittleFox93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No idea if I will follow it all my life, maybe I will if it suits my physical and mental needs, maybe I won't. I will certainly not ban carbs just for the sake of following a rule. I do have 100lbs to lose and I would like to give a low carb diet a try though, maybe as a way to fix my diet and refuel my body and mind a little :smile: I'll figure along the path what's best for me - can be different than other people. I am also having trimestrial blood tests and follow-ups (dad and grandpa both have diabetes and I've been looked closely for that my whole life, still no sign so far) and a great family doctor that will check on me regularly.
    All this been said... A girl needs the secret recipes to plan the grocery list for this weekend :neutral:
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    You might try joining and looking around in the Happy Herbivores group here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

It's not super active lately, but there are some posts within the last month, and I've seen some threads there about keto.

I'm not vegan, I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian; personally, I would not even try low carb or keto, because it isn't necessary or desirable to me, and it would make weight management (and life in general) much harder for me personally, as so many of my protein sources come with some carbs attached (such as legumes of all sorts). I'm not trying to talk you out of what seems necessary and desirable to you; I'm just explaining why I don't think I can help directly, despite having been vegetarian for 46+ years now with a bunch of vegetarian cooking experience, and experience with successful weight loss/maintenance.

Hoping you are able to find what you need!
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I'm doing what you're doing, I think. I'm not strictly low carb (I eat buttloads of fresh fruit) but I don't do any refined/simple carbs. No sugar, flour, or starches. And I'm vegan. My main reason for cutting simple carbs is it helps my mood immensely.

Are you generally okay with beans, pulses, and non-starchy vegetables?

off the top of my head for really easy meals:

one thing to look for is Explore pastas made from edamame or black beans or mung beans. They have lots of options. Then you can make an easy sauce, whatever you enjoy.

Tasty bite and Saffron road both make a Chana Masala in a microwaveable pouch. You can have it alone or over cauliflower rice.