Body Mass Index

Options
So I entered my info into the BMI calculator here on MFP. According to the results I'm Obese (Big Shock there. lol). In order for me to get into the overweight range, I'd need to drop down to 221lbs. My current goal is only 220!!! The healthy range for me is supposedly 135-185lbs. I'm 6'0", I can't imagine getting under 200 without looking funny with my rather large body frame. Should I really care what the BMI has to say? Or should I just lose until I'm happy?

Thanks

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Internet BMI calculators are often incorrect. The internet one said my BMI was 25. When a trainer measured it, it was actually 23.
  • chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just like me, im 6'...i listen to my body when it comes to the BMI. Im at 244 and trying to get to 225...the best way is to see your doc when you hit your goal and have blood work done and let him/her know what you've done and listen to their advice about what is a healthy BMI...cause we are in the same boat, my friend. Good luck in your journey.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Internet BMI calculators are often incorrect. The internet one said my BMI was 25. When a trainer measured it, it was actually 23.

BMI is a simple equation of height to weight, you may be thinking of bodyfat
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have spoken to a lot of medical professionals who have said that for large framed men, the "healthy" range of the BMI extends up to 27. (This takes into account the density of weight from muscle, bone structure, etc). So I would aim for that for now, and go from there
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get a body scale that does body fat analysis. Work on getting your body fat down. Don't worry about the weight as muscle is heavier right??

For me to be "GOOD" I should be about 145. I haven't weighed that much since I was a freshman in HS. HAAAA

I'm 5.10". I want to be about 180. ( another 15 to go.. Woot Woot!)

For you... At 6 feet, about 190-200 would be really good I think

Work on getting your body fat percentage down, that's more important! Specifically your visceral fat (which is the fat in your mid section and around your organs.
  • dvarrassi12
    Options
    I think BMI is total crap. Do what feels right for you and consult a doctor. Every body is different.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    BMI is just an indicator, not law. Try for around 200 and I think you'll like what you see.
    I know I feel a lot better if I'm under the Obese line and have dropped to a low of about 185. I'm 5'10" on a larger frame. It was a little too hard to stay at 185lbs.
    Once your down and can stay there you will want to push yourself as low as possible.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I believe the history of the BMI is more about what insurance companies have to say about your health...that might be worth a little google research on your own to find out...it is supposed to take into account all frame sizes and ethnic/racial differences, that is why the ranges are so broad.

That said, I would lose until your happy and re-evaluate at that point. You may lose the weight you wanted and still want a different look, that may take muscle building....you won't know completely till you are there.

For now, just get into a healthy range. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, "total crap" is a bit of an exaggeration. But it's a blunt tool, certainly not 100% accurate. A rough guideline.

Take it one step at a time - reach your first goal and then evaluate how you feel.
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I feel you brother - I'm 6'4" and "Healthy" weight range for me would be 152-205. That does seem low for me. BMI does not take into account your muscle mass, frame size, etc.

I'm taking the approach of getting down to 220, then taking a good hard look at what that looks like/feels like. That will at least get the life insurance company to stop charging me more for my weight. Then I will decide if I need to loose some more or if I want to focus on building muscle etc.

So I say ignore BMI and focus on overall health and fitness.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

BMI is a simple equation of height to weight, you may be thinking of bodyfat

No sir, I had body fat done as well. The internet told me it was 25%, the trainer said it was 26.5%
  • tomdudely
    tomdudely Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I think i'm gonna just go off of my feeling and appearance. If i'm a little "overweight" and have a decent muscle build *shrug* I guess I'll just have to suffer.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BMI is like the number on the scale. The number on a scale is not the best indicator either - it's just ONE indicator.

Very muscular people tend to have skewed BMI's - higher muscle mass is not a bad thing.
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    6ft here myself and at the 238-242 range the last couple of weeks. I seen a good drop in clothes size and just this weekend I got a tape measure to log for my diary because that damn scale ain't budging. (also I haven't been good on my eating)

I know that a healthy weight for me is around 200lbs. Depending on my body fat% it will vary big time. My goal is 190 just to see how I look and feel at that weight. Ultimate goal is to get to the low teens in percentage and go under 10% once in my life.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately thats what we are told however my view is I will get down to a weight that I feel comfortable at and look right at and let the others argue if that is right for me or not. I am 5ft 11 I'm told I should be 178 pounds (12 stone 10) and I would look ill. I am aiming for 189 to 196 pounds (13 and a half to 14 stone) which I think is a sensible weight for someone of my build.
  • tomdudely
    tomdudely Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Back in High School I was about 13% body fat and I weighed 215. I don't think that's a bad thing to aim for.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    BMI was created and designed for population studies. The guy who created it said in no uncertain terms that the number is only useful for large population groups and is absolutely useless for individuals.
  • tinaved624
    Options
    Just like me, im 6'...i listen to my body when it comes to the BMI. Im at 244 and trying to get to 225...the best way is to see your doc when you hit your goal and have blood work done and let him/her know what you've done and listen to their advice about what is a healthy BMI...cause we are in the same boat, my friend. Good luck in your journey.

Couldn't agree more. When it comes to losing weight I've been doing it based on actual weight and not BMI, but I have gone in to the doctor a couple times to make sure that I'm okay in terms of blood work and nutrients. It might be a good idea to see a doctor when you hit your mini goal, just to make sure that you are on the right track.

Best of luck! You're doing awesome so far!