Any mountain bikers here

Jetrail
Jetrail Posts: 205 Member
Hi, I was just wondering if anybody else here rides mountain bikes?. I used to ride BMX bikes all the way up till I got into my 30s and then stopped. I decided to give mountain biking a try last year because I wanted the exercise but needed something that was lower impact on my knees then running. Needless to say I fell in love with it and I'm planning on riding a lot this year. I was just wondering if there was anybody else on here that rode.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I wish. There aren't any trails I'm interested in within a ~75 mile radius. So it just doesn't make sense to have one. ☹️ Every now and then I rent one when I'm away and have a blast.

Gravel though, we've got plenty of that, and it gets you off the beaten path. I ride gravel in the mountains, that should at least make me an honorary MTBer.
  • preferablybeer
    preferablybeer Posts: 80 Member
    Love mountain biking! Haven’t in a while to be honest but will be starting up again. Love being on two wheels!
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    edited April 2021
    Used to until someone stole my Scott Spark 730. Stupid Junkies probably rode it into a river. RIP

Might get a hardtail again, pretty much just ride XC

Im a Roadie fo sure but MTB is so much better for fun.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    I am a big fan of dirt riding! Indiana is not exactly renowned for its mountains or trails, but the Hoosier National Forest in Southern Indiana is home to some of the finest trail systems in the Midwest. The weather was great here yesterday, and I made it out on single track for the first time this year.

This is my Trek Fuel EX!
    c1tjd3meyan9.jpeg
  • redduck1963
    redduck1963 Posts: 8 Member
    I don't get to ride as often as I would like, but I ride road and mtb both. I'm lucky enough to have a roughly five mile loop that starts about three blocks from work. Trails are just about dry now after winter, time to hit it again!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I ride MTB! Got addicted about three years ago!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Yep. Full squish, HT SS, and road.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,301 Member
    Every time I go I flip something. I'm just not technical enough for the trails here in WV. I stick to the pavement, but love having other riders as pals on here.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I love mountain biking. This season, my son gets my old commuter bike and I'm shopping for an urban-friendly mountain bike.

My city - Montréal, Canada - is actually an island with one big hill in the middle so it makes for some fun rides! Plus, there are plenty of rugged trails nearby.

Looking forward to seeing more of this thread!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Last night was our official night ride of the year. Last year of course cancelled by Covid. Took me about a mile to get used to riding in darkness again. I missed it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2021
    Jetrail wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering if anybody else here rides mountain bikes?. I used to ride BMX bikes all the way up till I got into my 30s and then stopped. I decided to give mountain biking a try last year because I wanted the exercise but needed something that was lower impact on my knees then running. Needless to say I fell in love with it and I'm planning on riding a lot this year. I was just wondering if there was anybody else on here that rode.

Yup...mountain and road. I typically do more road or cross-country trails because I can just roll either bike out of the garage and go ride and for mountain biking I have to load up and drive at least 30-40 minutes...but it's hella fun. Haven't been out on the mountain since the fall...wife and I are planning our first big excursion for the season next Sunday when we have to drive up to see my mom in the mountains anyway...might as well hit the trails for a couple of hours.

I have a hardtail, so nothing crazy
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    VegasFit wrote: »
    Last night was our official night ride of the year. Last year of course cancelled by Covid. Took me about a mile to get used to riding in darkness again. I missed it!

it's an entirely different experience.
  • Jetrail
    Jetrail Posts: 205 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Yep. Full squish, HT SS, and road.

That is awesome. Right now I just have a full suspension mountain bike. I still have the BMX bike but I doubt I'll ever be back on it seriously. So last year I decided to try mountain biking and of course anybody that was looking for a bike last year nose due to the pandemic there was a massive shortage. I found a cheap hyper havoc, I took it to the local mountain bike trails with my buddy and quickly realize that the bike was not capable of what I needed LOL. During the fall I was able to pick up a old Mongoose black comb frame and I decided to build it because I like the bike. So this will be my ride for this year and probably next at least until I get better at mountain biking but I'm also riding a echelon flex bike in the house to help burn calories and start to build more endurance.
  • heyitstom_
    heyitstom_ Posts: 3 Member
    I bought a Mountain Bike earlier this year. Can’t wait to take it out on some trails. So far I’ve been riding locally and doing a few small jumps here and there. It’s been great fun.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I ride an MTB (Trek X-Caliber), but am probably better described as a gravel/RTT/tourer type of guy, except some occasional flowy easy stuff. Rather than "n+1," I ride the one bike all locales, road included.

Favorite local venue is Gateway Natl Rec Area, Sandy Hook Unit (northern NJ USA shore). Quite sandy off the main path/trail. Pictured below, earlier this season, on one trail more suited to hiking due to loose sandy spots, especially with my tires. However, have sampled destination trails as far south as FL Keys and north into Ontario.

2sletya9t4wc.jpg