Please buy a scale to weigh your food

Options
I recently reconnected with my goals and started using MyFitPal again to track my daily activity and intake. What I suspected before was that something wasn't right with the calorie counting and I found out what it is. Packaged foods do not give you the correct calorie count 9 times out of 10. I have a small scale and started weighing my food based on the grams the packaging provided and the calorie count per serving was either too high or too low based on weighing it. In weighing my food, I am having success when before it was soooo slow.

So if you read that a slice of bread is 110 calories for 49 grams. Weigh it. I found that most bread slices weigh 59 grams and so there are more calories than it says.

Hope this helps.

Replies

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    ^^ so true! Nutritional information on the food packaging is so often wrong too in my , so far, limited experience!
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    100% agree with buying and using a scale!! I will also point out that it’s not always that you are eating more then you think, I have found that I am eating less a lot of the time which is a pleasant surprise.

I like to eat frozen Lean Cuisine for my lunch. I find them fast, tasty and just the right amount for lunch when paired with an apple or yogurt. Almost all of the time they are 20 to 30 grams less then the weight on the package. My yogurts are the same They are usually about 10% less in calories.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I weighed my Built Bars the other day, they clocked in at 80 grams compared to the 49 it said on the package!