How do you do it!?

Options
Hi, I started trying to loose weight (counting calories and exercising) about 2 months ago... about 2-3 weeks into I lost 2 pounds, then - unexpectedly, for some reason still unknown to me I stooped... As much as I want to loose the weight I stopped exercising and stopped watching what I ate... Now, I have gained back the two pounds I lost + 3 more... I feel so upset at myself...
How do you do it? How do you keep going..? I need some help and advice if I really want to change for good this time, I just don't know... how do you train yourself to change your eating habits? How to stop eating chocolates, white bread, etc..?
Help -- Please!!!

Thanks...

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is just start eating healthy, exercise, and forget about it. The pounds will fall off. When people get too concerned about their progress they end up getting frustrated and decide they may as well go back to business as usual. Losing weight takes a lot of time when done right and can only be achieved through healthy diet and exercise.
    That's my opinion on the subject.

:)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

For me it was a head game. I had to really find my motivation and be brutally honest with myself about why I did the things I did. it wasn't changing habits, it was changing the way i coped with things and reevaluating my relationships.

Why did I eat? Those kinds of questions. Once I answered those, then changing the habits came easier. Not easy, but easier.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It has to be habitual. Habits are hard to change so make good habits instead of bad ones.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    How do you get out of bed to go to work? Or any other thing that might not be fun, but needs to be done? There is no easy answer. It does get easier when it becomes a habit, but even when it is a habit there are still days that it sucks. If you are in control of what food is in your house, then stop bringing in the things that are causing you problems.
  • kk0223
    kk0223 Posts: 179
    Options
    As blunt as this may sound (and I don't mean it rude) you have to just stop. I know it's a lot easier said than done but but seriously you are the only person that can help yourself and you're the only one looking out for yourself in the end.

Think about how you'll feel after you eat something bad. Is it worth the "being upset" with yourself. Think about how on weigh day you could have been down a few lbs but instead you decided to eat bad and lay around instead of exercise. Just 30 minutes out of your day is worth more years on your life.

Food too..don't buy bad things. Dont' eat out. If you want to go eat out and are just too hungry to take the time to cook a meal. Have the "suck it up" attitude. Eat a healthy frozen meal or cook enough for left overs the next day. After you eat what you cook, you'll be full and feel better that you didn't run and get fastfood cause the cooked meal at home satisfied you just as well!

I know it's hard. I've quit a lot, also and I'm not doing FANTASTIC this time but I haven't quit. I still eat pasta, bread etc but I switched to whole grain. I still eat the same things but smaller portions and healther versions. Your stomach will eventually shrink and your body will get use to smaller portions. The first couple weeks of this sucks but you just have to deal with the suffering and pain! lol

Think of it as you control the food you eat. The food doesn't control you. It's just a "thing". You're a person and make your own choices. You just have to do it. JUST DO IT!!!

:) lol Hope this helps.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Figure out the healthy foods you enjoy and like. Don't go hungry. Then it isn't like a diet, but a way of life that you can live with. Yes, I went through a sadness when I knew I couldn't eat french fries or snack cakes on a regular basis. Or drink wine or beer w/o planning it. But it is so worth it in the long run. Take it day by day, don't look at the long road ahead......and you can do it! Have faith in yourself!!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

For me it was a head game. I had to really find my motivation and be brutally honest with myself about why I did the things I did. it wasn't changing habits, it was changing the way i coped with things and reevaluating my relationships.

Why did I eat? Those kinds of questions. Once I answered those, then changing the habits came easier. Not easy, but easier.

Me too. It's always been a head game with me. I gained 9 lbs. -- seriously, I did -- when I went on vacation for a week. I was so upset when I saw how much I had gained, that I almost gave up. But I didn't. I just started eating normally again and taking it one baby step at a time and the weight came off. Like the above post says "Not easy, but easier".

You CAN do it!! One step at a time.
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have been there many times. I tried everything from Atkins to Weight Watchers and then get bored and gained everything back plus some. I think you have to be really ready to lose weight...something has to click...whether it be someone asking you how many months pregnant you are (and you really aren't) or your doctor telling you that if you don't seriously lose weight you might have to consider gastric bypass or something along that nature. I was finally ready when I was about to turn 38 and both of these things happened to me...I wanted to go into my 40's a whole new person!

What keeps me motivated is my 3 children - being able to do things with them now instead of being to tired is a great feeling! I did not give up a lot of foods I like...I still eat my chocolate. I have just learned that the greasy cheeseburger and fries at the local diner is not worth not being with my family!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I feel you need to slowly get yourself into a healthy life style. Choose one thing to change with food and one thing to do for exercise. I stopped eating white bread years ago, I just don't buy it anymore. I eat hamburgers without a bun, limit my multigrain pastas each week,... When I bake I use whole wheat flour. I just don't buy the foods so they aren't an option. I keep cleaned fruits on hand in my fridge and vegetables as well.
    For my cravings, I buy the 100 calorie packs of things. That way I get m fix with a few calories. I also gof or sugar free and low fat junk foods I need to have. I am a sugar holic so never eating sweets again is not an option for me at my age, 41.5 yrs old. I allow myself the treats when I want them, usually trying to make myself do something toi "earn" them. Whether it is exercise, pay bills, clean, balance a checkbook,.... something positive must get donebefore the treat is to be eaten. I find that I want the treats less and less, except for once a month, grrrrrrrr....
    As for exercising, find something you enjoy to start. I love my elliptical and Zumba classes so those are 2 I am always willing to do. I ahve joined some challenges on here and find I do better with "a team" vs being against others. I enjoy seeing our team go for it. Makes me more motivated because I feel I can motivate others. Check out challeges you see and even if you don't join them, try them out!
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. This is huge in most of our successes. The more people to motivate you, hold you accountable,.. the better you will do and the more willpower you will have!!!
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    how do you train yourself to change your eating habits? How to stop eating chocolates, white bread, etc..?

honey, you dont have to stop eating these "bad" foods...you just need to stucture your current eating habits. trust me, if you add in all the "good" foods in to your diet, plan everything you eat(which this site makes that pretty easy), stick to your plans, its hard to cheat. besides, if you really want those types of carbs, work them into your plan...you can eat chocolate and still meet your caloric goals. its give and take. maybe on the days you plan to eat something a little less healthy, add some more excercise time. bottom line, dont deprieve yourself, you will become resentful to food and that is a situation that will lead to weight gain. you can do it, your posting about it and taking a step towards what you want, and thats great, good job!!!
  • Prestissima
    Prestissima Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My motivation is rather negative. I look at colleagues whose bodies are far from ideal, what they eat: white bread, candy, chocolate, lots of fried and fat, mayo, pickles and so on - and I became much easier to give it up . But after several months 'abstinence', habits are changing and chocolate does not seem so good, I promise:)
    No less than this helps the realization that you must not go beyond the limit of calories. Simply impossible, and that's it. Then becomes a choice, eat something sweet and be well-fed for half an hour or to eat vegetable salad, corn bread and chicken breast and be sated until the evening.
  • Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables. ~Spanish Proverb

Everyone is giving you such great advice. Remember the habits are what can make or break you. Start new ones giving your body life, exercise and the nutrients and you will see yourself break old cables and start new ones. A 'habit cable' isn't bad if it is the right habit.

For me, I did simple things. I told myself I wouldn't drink one soda until I had 64 ounces of water in me. By the time I drank all that water, I didn't want a soda. And I did that day in and day out until I didn't crave a soda at all. And the same can be said for food, I ate healthy options before giving myself a 'bad' option and by then I wasn't hungry for it. I was amazed at how full and great I felt.

And the bottom line is just to keep going! You can't fail if you don't quit! :flowerforyou:
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm really into healthy food so I have always found it easy because on this issue I don't have to try, however, I do get weeks when I just need rubbish! Lol! Fish and chips and mushy peas or battered sausage and chips and curry sauce lol followed by Ben and Jerry's and a chocolate bar! And to be honest I don't beat myself up for this if it happens for a day once a month. I think my body needs it for some reason, the rest of the month the thought of eating like that makes me feel physically sick.

I think if you bann foods you want them more, because your focus is on what you can't have! It's like saying "Don't think of pink elephants!" lol! Of course you're going to.

My advice would be to come up with some really tasty meals for each day for 2 weeks, so thats B,L,D 14x and leave enough calories to have something you really fancy. Buy everything for the meals in advance and do a big shop (if you can) DON'T buy any of the things you may fancy, buy those daily! If you buy a massive pack of fun size chocolate so you can have one each day from your cupboard one night you'll just eat them all! If you allow yourself the things you love like chocolate work it into your plan!

With exersise you just have to simply find your thing, something you really like, yoga, walking, pilates, swimming etc. Choose your favourite and go regularly. Note I didn't put jogging, it is not the best thing to do for weight loss and damages your knees, walking is far better!

Good Luck!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    You must keep in mind that these are simply bad habits that you have acquired over some years so, it isn't going to happen overnight. Start off with small goals. For me, I started out with cutting my sodas out, I didn't realize how many calories I was drinking BEFORE I had the burger and fries. I will admit it was tough when I first began logging my foods because I was only focused on the calories. Now, I know what foods will sustain my hunger so that I'm not tempted to snack all day.

The last thing you need to do is give up. This is the most important thing in your life! Everyone has a bad day but, many of us don't just quit. You get up, brush yourself off and start where you left off.

You didn't gain the weight overnight so you won't lose it overnight.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    How do you get out of bed to go to work? Or any other thing that might not be fun, but needs to be done? There is no easy answer. It does get easier when it becomes a habit, but even when it is a habit there are still days that it sucks.

This.....
  • rosalieharris
    rosalieharris Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It has been a tough road for me as well. I started in January and to date have lost 45 pounds. I kinda took the summer off, so most of my weight loss (except 5 pounds) came off from Jan to around June. Like someone said before, you really have to get your head in the game. Find foods you like to eat. I changed from white bread to 100 percent whole wheat. Look at calories before you buy something. Like salad dressing...find one that you like that doesn't have all the calories. Friut can tame a sweet tooth. You really just have to find things that you can substitute. Also, I had to find some kind of excercise that I enjoyed. I find walking is my thing...for now. I walk at least an hour a day. I love it! I walk through my town square and see all the people and beautiful houses. DO NOT give up! 2 pounds lost is better than none. If you fall off the wagon, just get back on! I know this summer has been a let down for me....but guess what, I'm getting back on track ONE DAY AT A TIME! My motto (that I got from someone on this site) is NOTHING TASTE AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS:) God Bless you and your journey
  • sjacoby123
    Options
    I've been on the same pattern (lose some, backslide a little, then quit) for years. This year I hired a trainer, we work out twice a week at her personal gym and she helps keep me on track. I'm still not doing great, weekends are the real challenge for me, but at least I haven't quit and am still losing (very slowly) and getting stronger (fairly quickly).
    I've lost 21 lbs so far (since Jan), 9 lbs since I started with the trainer (in June), still not even 10% of my body weight, but better than continuing to put on weight, which is the alternative!
    Good luck!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    For me - it has been about baby steps. The very first thing I did (10 years ago) was switch from white bread to wheat bread (didn't realize they were the same thing at the time... need to get "whole" wheat bread). When that was easy for me, I switched ONE bad snack I had each day with a piece of fruit. At the same time, I also started at a gym. I did TEN minutes at a time b/c that was all I could do. I kept doing it until 10 mins was easier and then shot for 15 mins.

Now, I eat veggies every day. I eat things I had NEVER even HEARD of 10 years ago... kale, chard, quinoa, barley, etc. (sliced, packaged, white bread is just disgusting to me now) and I just did my first Triathlon yesterday.

I have heard of a lot of people just starting with cutting out soda. Just that - just cut out soda.

Pick something and stick with it.
  • AndreaXoXo
    Options
    Thanks to all for your kind and honest words of encouragement and reality checks...
    I will start my journey to better health and fitness yet again today. (hopefully like many of you, this will be my last start and I will be able to create a new, healthier normal)
    Many thanks,
    Andrea.

PS: I have been hesitant to make my diary public but I think this is something that can help keep me accountable.. (will make it public right now). Also, please feel free to send me any comments or suggestions you may have after reviewing it on how I can improve... (I have lots lo learn!)
    Thanks again...
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You've got to determine your reason, your motivation for losing the weight, and then embrace it and live it. Its all about a routine and making it habitual. Bad habits are hard to break. You just got to do it! Gather your strength and go get it done. After a few weeks the fitness routine and eating healthier will hopefully start to become enjoyable, you will want to exercise, feel guilty when you don't., etc. For example, I crave drinking water now...who would have ever thought? But I sucked it up, I quit drinking soda and started drinking water. Now I despise soda and never ever want it. That's just one thing that's happened for me.... the point is, find your motivation, find some real life friends/family to support you, or get supportive friends on MFP, and get to living the way you aspire to!