Struggling to overcome junk food addiction

Options
Hi, My name is Kristin and I’m a junk food-aholic if there is such a thing. I am at my heaviest weight right now from unhealthy eating habits. I’ve used to comfort me in times of stress, sadness and loneliness. It was easier to keep my weight in check when I worked on an office. But since working from home and the ability to wear leggings, I’ve let myself go. With no one talk to, I’ve given up on trying. I would like to lose weight but I’m afraid that I won’t have anything to look forward to if I give up treats. If there’s anyone else out there who are struggling with the same issue as me, please help. I need a friend to get in a better place than I am now. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• megz12380
    megz12380 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Trying to get back on track starting April 1st. I took a break on Easter but was mindful ...I'd like to be friemds on here but I don't know how to do it

Meghan
  • ericchastain
    ericchastain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    These companies that crank out junk food spend millions of R&D dollars every year to create addictive "snacks". I feel your pain because I've been there, I was a savory food guy, any kind of potato chip or Doritos bag that came into my house never saw the light of the next day. I can tell you from experience though that the longer you focus on eating healthy whole foods the more your taste buds will heal until eventually you will lose your taste for them altogether. Our bodies naturally crave nutritious food, we've just been hoodwinked by multi million dollar ad campaigns. Hang in there, you can do it!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    These companies that crank out junk food spend millions of R&D dollars every year to create addictive "snacks". I feel your pain because I've been there, I was a savory food guy, any kind of potato chip or Doritos bag that came into my house never saw the light of the next day. I can tell you from experience though that the longer you focus on eating healthy whole foods the more your taste buds will heal until eventually you will lose your taste for them altogether. Our bodies naturally crave nutritious food, we've just been hoodwinked by multi million dollar ad campaigns. Hang in there, you can do it!

I don't think Doritos taste good because a TV commercial told me so, some people legitimately enjoy the taste of these foods.

While it may be true that some people don't think these foods taste good after they take a break from them, I personally find some power in being able to acknowledge that some calorie-dense foods taste really good to me, but I still choose to limit the quantity I eat in order to meet other goals that I have. I don't need to "heal my taste buds" to control my weight, I can like potato chips and still choose not to choose to eat more than I need.

I'm not saying that's the only approach, I'm just pointing out an alternative that provides a useful framework for people who genuinely enjoy the taste of foods like ice cream and weren't "hoodwinked" by an ad.