comfort food

Options
HI,

I am dealing with A LOT of stress right now with work and usually stress and comfort food go hand and hand for me. And usually the healthy food that I am trying eating doesn't help me like all the junk food I use to eat.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the comfort food thing?:ohwell:

Replies

• mgiroux
    mgiroux Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    HI,

I am dealing with A LOT of stress right now with work and usually stress and comfort food go hand and hand for me. And usually the healthy food that I am trying eating doesn't help me like all the junk food I use to eat.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the comfort food thing?:ohwell:
  • purplepanda
    purplepanda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I try to "reinvent" comfort meals when I crave that type of food (like for meatloaf use super lean meat and add lots of sauteed veggies, or for macaroni and cheese I use olive oil instead of butter and whole grain pasta, and light cheese so it's not as bad). If it is snack food, I try substituting better foods like popcorn (without butter) for chips or snack crackers, grapes for candy, etc.

Also, I forgive myself when I just really breakdown and have something that really isn't good for me
  • gail15
    gail15 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi,

You are sure right---stress and comfort food do seem to go hand in hand--but you do not have to the urge to eat when you're stressed. Change the "tape" of your mind and think about how great you're gonna feel when you eat right. Instead of eating, take a walk, dance or find some good exercise tapes use while you exercise.

Since good tasting food is important, I have found that modifying recipes to the foods I really love help so much--I take the recipes and replace a lot of the ingredients and they still taste great and they are easy to make.

Here are a couple---

Weight watchers pumpkin spice muffins. Take one box of spice cake mix and stir in one, one pound can of pure pumpkin. Mix thoroughly. Don't add anything else. Put in muffin tin--makes 12 muffins. Bake according to the directions on the cake mix box. These are moist and delicious. Each one has 2 weight watchers points--somewhere between 100-150 calories.

Pumpkin Spice Latte--

8 oz mug filled with 4 oz. skim milk heated. Add 4 oz of decaf coffee (already brewed) 2 pkg of Splenda, pumpkin pie spice to taste. Top with sugar-free, fat free whipped cream and sprinkle lightlly with more pumpkin pie spice. 50 calories

Boca mushroom swiss burger---

saute fresh mushrooms in nonstick skillet that's been rubbed with olive oil. When tender, add bocca burger, when hot through place cooked mushrooms on top and top with a slice of 2% swiss cheese, cover pan until cheese melts. Serve on a Natures own wheat and double fiber hamburger bun---delicious---about 250 calories

You can modify anything, just about :happy: YOU CAN DO IT!
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    oh gee - i feel your pain...........i've gone through the same thing my whole life. Try some fat free vanilla yoghurt with fruit - blueberries or cherries work best for me. Hang in there!
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    I have this problem too. Wednesday was crazy stressful for me and I ended up going out for Mexican food and margaritas with friends. It was not a good calorie day! I've found there are healthy ways to get around this so I try to recreate my favorite comfort foods in my own kitchen. If I go out (usually!) I don't feel compelled to screw myself over on calories because I know I can make a healthier version and feel like I'm indulging. One of my favorite things is quesadillas so I use: Whole wheat 98% fat free tortillas, jalepenos, sauteed veggies with cumin & coriander, and 50% reduced fat pepper jack cheese--so good, and it's actually ok if I eat 2 of them! Oh and you've gotta use the butter flavored cooking spray, does wonders with no calories or fat.

I am definitely going to try the pumpkin muffins. I absolutely LOVE dunkin donuts pumpkin muffins, but of course I try and stay away. And the boca mushroom and swiss burger is amazing as is the savory mushroom and mozzarella. I have them in my freezer right now along with morningstar farms mini corndogs and chik patties. Soooo tasty, I highly recommend them. :smile:
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I tend to lean towards soups as comfort foods - I make a version of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana with vegetarian sausage, and lots of veggies... Boca and Morningstar make "Recipe Starters" that can save you a bunch of calories - I also use Melissa's soy 'cheese' which melts really well, and makes you feel like you're indulging.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If mashed potatos are your downfall, try mashed caluiflower. Cook it a little more than you normally would for nice fresh and sort of crisp cauliflower so you can mash it. If you are a hot chocolate, or latte person, try hot herb tea. If pasta is your downfall, try using Miracle Noodles with your favorite (perhaps slightly modified?) sauce.
  • Manda86
    Options
    If mashed potatos are your downfall, try mashed caluiflower. Cook it a little more than you normally would for nice fresh and sort of crisp cauliflower so you can mash it. If you are a hot chocolate, or latte person, try hot herb tea. If pasta is your downfall, try using Miracle Noodles with your favorite (perhaps slightly modified?) sauce.

J and I love cauliflower mash!! So yummy... I approve this suggestion..:laugh: :laugh:
  • mgiroux
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice I am going to have to try these new foods. I am always up to try new things. My downfall is potato chips.. :grumble: So I avoid that isle as much as possible when going food shopping.

Thanks for all the helpful hints :smile:
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    They do make fat free potato chips. They're ruffles and put out by Lay's. I've had the regular kind and the sour cream and cheddar kind, both are pretty good. However, it's reported that it may cause a stomach ache if you eat too many because of the kind of oil they use. I have eaten them numerous times (over the suggested serving size as well, oops!) and had never any type of problem. I guess if you do eat the whole bag in one sitting (I realize this is completely possible lol) and have a sensitive digestive tract, they may not be the best option. You could also try whole grain tortilla chips or pretzels. They definitely satisfy my salty, crunchy cravings.
  • stillkristi
    Options
    I am a chip fan, too. I guess a big part of my food addiction is my enjoyment of various textures in food. The crunch of chips is definitely part of it for me, and I have a hard time replicating that. Of course taste is probably more important than texture, and I have a hard time with the taste of fat free chips. Maybe if I got used to them, but they taste like card board to me. :cry: I like the whole grain options, and pretzles. Also, a few nuts, though you can't eat a lot of them and if its comfort food eating, it seems like I always eat too much of it. There are also vegi chips available in most stores. I haven't tried them, so I don't know what they are like... I know pringles makes a fat free chip, though again, haven't tried it. Lately, my crunch cravings have been satisfied by crunchy vegies, especially, believe it or not, iceberg lettuce. Fresh from the crisper, with a tiny bit of sea salt, or a little salsa (careful of your portions, I measure everything these days) thats a pretty good crunch and flavor factor. Not a ton of nutrients, but you know, we are looking for a replacement for potato chips here..... :happy:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I jump onto the site and post threads to vent and get other's feedback. It has saved me from stuffing my face many a time:wink:
  • stillkristi
    Options
    I jump onto the site and post threads to vent and get other's feedback. It has saved me from stuffing my face many a time:wink:

Wow, thats a great idea, Lucky - MFP the ultimate comfort food!
  • Manda86
    Options
    I'm big on texture, too!
    Sometimes apple chips or other dehydrated fruits can satisfy my urge for 'crunchy'.
  • mgiroux
    Options
    Yeah I really like those Fat Free chips but the local store here is taking them off the shelf.:angry: So I will have to find a different comfort food.. Thanks everyone for your help.:happy:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I agree with making substitutes when possible. I have been wanting crunchy salty things lately.

Just last week I made homemade onion dip ( not from onion soup from scratch) I also made my own baked potato chips.One potato sliced thin on one of those metal 4 sided graters layed on parchment paper and sprinkled with sea salt . I made the onion dip with yogurt so basically I had a potato and yogurt :) just in a different form. The chips were a bit dry but im sure you could experiment with some spray oils or even toss them in a measured amount of oil.

I also make homeade french fries and sweet potato fries and apple chips.