PREMIUM

Options
What's your view on paying for mfp.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If someone decides to do it because they've looked at the specific features and decided they want to use them, it's a good thing.

If someone is doing it because they think they'll have a better food database, more consistent syncing, or any feature that isn't premium-specific, it doesn't make sense.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I'm not opposed to subscriptions in general. For food related subscriptions, I've paid for memberships with America's Test Kitchen and Christopher Kimble's new project, Milk St.

But as far as MFP goes, I'm not going to pay for the same cluttered, glitchy database I can get for free. The recipe importer has been appallingly bad for YEARS (since launch?), and instead of fixing this very well documented problem, they've put resources into other features that I care far less about.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    There are three scenarios where it seems logical to me to purchase premium, which are when a person:

* has researched the features, and found premium-only features that will be useful enough to justify paying that price. (Some people, with slower internet connections, report the mere absence of ads - so faster loading - to be worth it.);
    * is the type of person whose commitment to a thing goes up when they pay money for it, but withers fast if it's free; or
    * gets so much benefit from the free version that they want to pay out of pocket to support the enterprise more directly.

Otherwise? Dunno.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I have premium and see no value in it. They've had years now to add some real premium functionality and have only built superficial, unnecessary features most people probably won't get anything out of. Things that seem like obvious low-hanging fruit, like more sophisticated charting of weight, calories, etc., are just entirely absent. I'll probably shift back to free when the next re-up rolls around. That said, if you see some specific features you think you want, the cost isn't high.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I accidentally signed up for premium. Don't ask.

Not worth it.

I have already cancelled my subscription but I paid for a year...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    I got a free membership some time ago. I've never really looked at it to be honest. Could have used the chance to download my data, but just not interested.