Favorite places to Walk/Run in Washington State

Options
So, I am a die hard Greenlake walk/runner but I'm only able to get there on the weekends since its about 30 mins from me so I am looking for ideas of places I can go during the week (when I just can't handle the treadmill anymore).

What is everyone's favorite places to Walk/Run in Washington...and why?

Mine...Greenlake, Seattle
Why...because its a loop around a lake, with LOADS of people watching entertainment. Gotta love Seattle! Watched some kayak polo the other weekend.

Replies

• igora_soma
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to get to Greenlake in a long time! It is awesome though :) My favorite is probably the river trail in Redmond that leads to Marymoore Park :) I run there a few times a week and it never seems to get boring!! Plus there are a lot of other runners and that really motivates me to improve!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    The Zoo. My personal fave. Just a stone's throw from Greenlake.

But, for stuff North, I like Picnic Point beach park, Edmonds waterfront and downtown, my neighborhood (I'm on the Burke Gilman).

We are lucky to have so many hills and beautiful scenery. I have several loops I walk near home, and several quiet nature walks.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    When one of my shows was in Seattle, I'd walk around Greenlake daily. What a beautiful place to get some exercise!

You might try looking at a website called "Rails to Trails". On there website, they list many many trails all over the US. I think most or all of the trails are old converted railroad lines that are now beautiful trails.

Happy walking!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The Zoo. My personal fave. Just a stone's throw from Greenlake.

But, for stuff North, I like Picnic Point beach park, Edmonds waterfront and downtown, my neighborhood (I'm on the Burke Gilman).

We are lucky to have so many hills and beautiful scenery. I have several loops I walk near home, and several quiet nature walks.

Man, you are sooo lucky to live on the Burke Gilman trail!! I used to ride bikes there all the time when I was younger. I've tried walking it a few times but the bikers can get kinda vicious and after one almost took out my dog I stopped. I miss it though!
  • andreae13
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to get to Greenlake in a long time! It is awesome though :) My favorite is probably the river trail in Redmond that leads to Marymoore Park :) I run there a few times a week and it never seems to get boring!! Plus there are a lot of other runners and that really motivates me to improve!

Great idea! I used to work right by Marymoor and and friend and I always talked about doing that trail but never did....guess its time :)
  • helloimangela
    Options
    Aw... Greenlake... Makes me miss my hometown of Seattle!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Aw... Greenlake... Makes me miss my hometown of Seattle!

Come baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. We'll leave a light on. Because we have power.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm more north (up by Everett). My favorite is the Centennial Trail. We love biking it but there are also lots of runners, walkers and skaters on it. I also like to hike some of the trails out the Mountain Loop Highway, beautiful scenery out there! The Interurban trail is nice too.
  • TanyaDL
    Options
    Well from my experience, I absolutely love Greenlake... but here are some others I recommend:

Seward Park...(also known as Bailey's Peninsula) is a 2.4 loop trail in South Seattle on Lake Washington. You'll enjoy panoramic views of the lake and if its a clear day, you'll be able to see Mt. Rainier on the southeast side of the loop. It is somewhat like an old-growth forest with LOTS of trees and it can seem isolated in parts, but it is a high traffic trail a little bit more peaceful than Greenlake. Ideal for running since its all flat, too!

Schmitz Park...in West Seattle has a plethora of trails great for hiking, fast-paced walk or running. I actually found this trail by accident with a friend and we enjoyed every minute of it. I recommend to not go until after a few days if its rained, unless you're prepared to drive back home with muddy shoes..I believe it will remind you of being in the Cascade foothills in the middle of the city. Parking could be a potential issue due to its proximity to Alki. This has quite a few inclines so you will definitely get a workout.

No matter where you go in the Seattle Metropolitan area, there are soooo many places to choose from. Good luck with finding another trail!!!!

P.S. I can empathize with you about the Burke-Gilman...I used to live right across the street from there near University Village and I would have to walk it occasionally en route to my viola lessons...uggh!! There were days I wanted to swing my instrument case and knock those bicyclist off....just sayin!
  • outersoul
    Options
    Not sure how far it goes North but the Chehalis Trail is where I run on most days.
  • andreae13
    Options
    Well from my experience, I absolutely love Greenlake... but here are some others I recommend:

Seward Park...(also known as Bailey's Peninsula) is a 2.4 loop trail in South Seattle on Lake Washington. You'll enjoy panoramic views of the lake and if its a clear day, you'll be able to see Mt. Rainier on the southeast side of the loop. It is somewhat like an old-growth forest with LOTS of trees and it can seem isolated in parts, but it is a high traffic trail a little bit more peaceful than Greenlake. Ideal for running since its all flat, too!

Schmitz Park...in West Seattle has a plethora of trails great for hiking, fast-paced walk or running. I actually found this trail by accident with a friend and we enjoyed every minute of it. I recommend to not go until after a few days if its rained, unless you're prepared to drive back home with muddy shoes..I believe it will remind you of being in the Cascade foothills in the middle of the city. Parking could be a potential issue due to its proximity to Alki. This has quite a few inclines so you will definitely get a workout.

No matter where you go in the Seattle Metropolitan area, there are soooo many places to choose from. Good luck with finding another trail!!!!

P.S. I can empathize with you about the Burke-Gilman...I used to live right across the street from there near University Village and I would have to walk it occasionally en route to my viola lessons...uggh!! There were days I wanted to swing my instrument case and knock those bicyclist off....just sayin!

Thanks for the great ideas!! I'm writing all of them down!

P.S. Hahaha...totally know what you mean! I made the mistake of wearing my headphone once and almost had a heart attack every time they came flying up behind me!
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Uh oh! I am the only one who HATES greenlake! I hate parking there, I hate that its crowded and I hate the weirdo bums I have seen there!

I do love the Kirkland waterfront though. From Carllion Point to the Marina and back it's about 3 miles.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Discovery Park or Carkeek Park. You'll forget you're within Seattle city limits.
  • hefinator
    Options
    I enjoy my lil Silver Lake up here in Everett. Its not the best walk, seeing how most of it is done on the street and not actually ON the lake, but its still nice to walk it when its nice and warm and the water is all pretty!! it helps that i live across the street from it too, haha!
  • andreae13
    Options
    I enjoy my lil Silver Lake up here in Everett. Its not the best walk, seeing how most of it is done on the street and not actually ON the lake, but its still nice to walk it when its nice and warm and the water is all pretty!! it helps that i live across the street from it too, haha!

I actually go to the 24 hour fitness right by the lake :happy: Haven't tried walking around it yet.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The Sammamish River Trail (from Marymoor to Woodinville), which is a stone's throw from where I live.

The main Microsoft Campus is a nice place to walk as well. I used to walk my dog there when I lived in that part of Redmond and I always see walkers and joggers when I go through there.