Do I have to eat my work out calories?

Options
I LOVE TO EAT, but I just not hungry enough to eat all of them. So do I have to eat them all or is it okay that i only eat some of them?

Replies

• kmaug
    kmaug Posts: 23
    Options
    I LOVE TO EAT, but I just not hungry enough to eat all of them. So do I have to eat them all or is it okay that i only eat some of them?
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    i'll take you leftovers
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you're not hungry and have already eaten 1,200 cals, don't eat!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat mine. But if I feel hungry I will eat something, just a healthy choice. So I say don't eat em if your not hungry.

:flowerforyou:
  • KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    Dude- if you're not hungry. No need to... that's how we lost weight- eat less calories than we burn! Go you!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other two above to a certain extent but I know that they really try and push eating your workout calories, I'd say that if you are burning a lot like from running or something than you should eat at least some of them, mainly just to refuel your body. Good luck hope this helped!

~Leash
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Eating isn't always about whether or not you're hungry, it is fueling your body. And sometimes lack of hunger could actually be a sign that you're not getting enough food. Not that lack of hunger always means that, I mean sometimes you're just not hungry. But don't assume that just because you're not hungry that it means you don't need food.

I understand why so many don't get the concept of eating exercise calories....why on earth would you want to eat back what you just burned off. But you're not....MFP already calculates a calorie deficit. So say you used to eat 2000 calories a day. MFP might give you a deficit of 500, giving you 1500 calories to eat each day. Then you burn off 700 calories from a work out...your body is now running on a total of only 800 calories, which is not enough.

And eating back your exercise calories isn't undoing the work you just did....you're still burning fat, building muscle, expanding your endurance and overall health. The good effects isn't isolated to each work out, it's all cumulative. So while running a mile one day may not make much of a difference in appearance and health, running a mile everyday for a month will.

If you decide that you should eat your exercise calories, keep in mind that you don't have to stuff yourself in order to get the calories in. A tablespoon or two of peanut butter is packed with good calories.....have a few hand fulls of nuts, have a glass of lowfat milk......all excellent ways to get your calories in, but not fill up when you don't feel hungry.