Computer help please?

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
I have an HP laptop, several years old. I hate the thought of getting a new one. :( But this a.m. it's giving me grief. It's not keeping correct time, I couldn't use google chrome, had to switch to something else and I can't access a bunch of things I used to such as my settings along the bottom of the screen. Is there something I'm missing that could make this an easy fix to keep it going for a bit longer? Appreciate it much.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    It's a sign the bios battery is dead... Are you keeping it plug in? Or running on battery when not in use?

You can just change the clock manually..
    Might want to see if chrome has been updated.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I have an HP laptop, several years old. I hate the thought of getting a new one. :( But this a.m. it's giving me grief. It's not keeping correct time, I couldn't use google chrome, had to switch to something else and I can't access a bunch of things I used to such as my settings along the bottom of the screen. Is there something I'm missing that could make this an easy fix to keep it going for a bit longer? Appreciate it much.

For me to help you, i need a bit more information.
    What specs does it have
    So what CPU, RAM memory, is it HDD or SSD?
    You should be able to find most of this information at This computer, right click and then attributes (if that is correct translation)

Why couldn't you use Google Chrome, what error did you got?
    The time should be easy to reset at the bottem of your screen, set it to different time zone, reboot your laptop, set it back to your actual timezone and it should be good
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    It's a sign the bios battery is dead... Are you keeping it plug in? Or running on battery when not in use?

I keep it plugged in while I use it because otherwise it'll go off within a couple minutes. But why would some things work and some not?
    I used to always sign into my computer and click in my lower left to access hotmail, etc. Can't do any of that and as I mentioned, only some of the stuff comes up across the bottom like it used to and I can't access the other stuff that is there, such as audiio, unless I go a round about route.

I will check chrome updates and see if that helps. I hate being compute illiterate. :/
  • ReenieHJ
    Options

For me to help you, i need a bit more information.
    What specs does it have
    So what CPU, RAM memory, is it HDD or SSD?
    You should be able to find most of this information at This computer, right click and then attributes (if that is correct translation)

Why couldn't you use Google Chrome, what error did you got?
    The time should be easy to reset at the bottem of your screen, set it to different time zone, reboot your laptop, set it back to your actual timezone and it should be good

Dang, I knew someone would ask me thesse type of questions. I'll have to search again for that info; I think I came across it in my desparate exploring this a.m. but to retrace my steps is asking too much. :blush:
    To use google chrome, I just click on my desktop icon to access it but when I do that, nothing happens at all.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

I keep it plugged in while I use it because otherwise it'll go off within a couple minutes. But why would some things work and some not?
    I used to always sign into my computer and click in my lower left to access hotmail, etc. Can't do any of that and as I mentioned, only some of the stuff comes up across the bottom like it used to and I can't access the other stuff that is there, such as audiio, unless I go a round about route.

I will check chrome updates and see if that helps. I hate being compute illiterate. :/
    Try changing time first manually...Then reboot...

Maybe just glitch.. chrome can be finicky at times when computer clock/date doesn't match the real time/date.
  • woollenmonarch
    woollenmonarch Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Several years and hp laptop. Time for a new computer maybe

I buy a new computer every 2 years because the tech is fast evolving.

I’d recommend an Apple Mac. You will never have any problem
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    This is where I'd take a recent backup, delete apps I don't use, and defrag.

Then I cross my fingers and hope for the best while using my smartphone to look at refurbished replacement options with at least 6GB RAM while still being small enough to fit in my fav purses. You'll have time...defrags take hours lol

Sounds frustrating, @ReenieHJ. Hope you're able to get it resolved soon.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    What lx1x said....that a cmos battery failure indicator 99% of the time.

Depending on what access panels the laptop has, it can be either an incredibly simple fix or something hideous (if it's buried and requires case removal).
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    rub some dirt on it.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options

The good news is you shouldn't have to buy a new computer as it's only 2 years old.

So sometimes if your internal clock is off by more then 5 minutes (hours don't matter only minutes) it can make the computer get out of sync with servers it's trying to talk to. I'd be surprised if that is what it is but worth a try.

If you are losing the correct time it's because you need to change your CMOS battery. This can be very hard to do with a laptop and I don't recommend it if you don't know much about computers. This can happen even faster if your laptop battery can't hold a charge. It might be worth it to get a new battery. The key with batteries is not to leave them plugged in all the time because it kills them fast and then you have to leave them plugged in.

Also, when your computer acts very weird for no reason it's time to run AntiVirus. I use Malwarebytes as it is free and the best I've used to find and get rid of viruses, that isn't my normal AV, only when I know or suspect a virus do I manually run it. After that run updates and see if HP has something on it's website that will search for updates and drivers for you.

CPU, RAM memory, is it HDD or SSD is irrelevant for this issue.
  • Thoin
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    This is where I'd take a recent backup, delete apps I don't use, and defrag.

Then I cross my fingers and hope for the best while using my smartphone to look at refurbished replacement options with at least 6GB RAM while still being small enough to fit in my fav purses. You'll have time...defrags take hours lol

Sounds frustrating, @ReenieHJ. Hope you're able to get it resolved soon.

Backing up data is always great advice. Your computer should automatically run defrag now so you probably don't need to do that, and if you do set it, you can set it to work in the middle of the night. Windows 10 defaults defrag to every week at night.

However, when a Hard Drive acts weird and it's not a virus it can be a sign of Hard drive failure. Which again leads me back to make sure you back up your data.

You don't need to buy a new computer. There are lots of resources out there for people so they don't have to do this.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Well. I was hoping it was something simple. I searched for a couple hours this morning and found nothing I could do to make it work. So I left to visit my sister. When I got back, dh suggested I push down the power button and hold it there for about 10 seconds. I probably rolled my eyes walking away from him but figured wth, try anything right? I did shut it off this a.m but never hold the power button.
    It worked. DH said something must've frozen up inside??? He hasn't a clue either. :)
    But either way, it's now working the way it was before and I can access everything I had. I know one of these days it won't be fixed because it is about 7 years old. I just didn't want it to be today. :/

Thanks everybody :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

I'm happy that I helped.

• ReenieHJ
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I'm happy that I helped.

Couldn't have done it without you. I'm sure it was the dirt.

Or crumbs.

But probably coffee spit from reading MFP too long.
  • Thoin
    Options
    Well. I was hoping it was something simple. I searched for a couple hours this morning and found nothing I could do to make it work. So I left to visit my sister. When I got back, dh suggested I push down the power button and hold it there for about 10 seconds. I probably rolled my eyes walking away from him but figured wth, try anything right? I did shut it off this a.m but never hold the power button.
    It worked. DH said something must've frozen up inside??? He hasn't a clue either. :)
    But either way, it's now working the way it was before and I can access everything I had. I know one of these days it won't be fixed because it is about 7 years old. I just didn't want it to be today. :/

So basically you:

6c0hzvkktp7f.gif
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Thoin wrote: »

So basically you:

6c0hzvkktp7f.gif

Nonono I turned it off and on and off and on....all kinds of other stuff. Cause first question everyone always ask is did you reboot. But this time I held that power button down like I was gonna kill it or cure it. Honestly. :blush:
  • Thoin
    Options
    Thoin wrote: »

So basically you:

6c0hzvkktp7f.gif

Nonono I turned it off and on and off and on....all kinds of other stuff. Cause first question everyone always ask is did you reboot. But this time I held that power button down like I was gonna kill it or cure it. Honestly. :blush:

That solution again points to the Battery being an issue. Sometimes with old laptops I take the battery out, however that leaves the bottom exposed which may or may not be an issue.
  • punkisdead83
    punkisdead83 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Having done computers as a career for the past 12 years, now would be the time to get yourself an external hard drive and back up all important data such a photos and documents while you have access to the machine.