Setting a "real" goal

I have set a goal for myself to lose 25lbs by Christmas...this is a real goal, or so i think.

How does everyone else set goals? Do you say I want to weight 100 lbs less in a year or just mini goals.

I want to go about it right and no be disapointed if I dont get to what i think is "real"

Thanks!!

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    I think the myfitnesspal system of setting either a 1 or 2 lb a week weight loss goal is very sensible, doable, and scientifically sound. What I have seen a lot of people do is list their starting weight, current weight, and a list of "mini-goals" which they hope will lead to their ultimate goal weight.
  • jbinga
    jbinga Posts: 38 Member
    I do both. I have mini-goals (with rewards), a "I'd be happy with my weight" goal, and a dream goal. I just reached a mini-goal today actually (30 pounds lost) and my reward is a mani-pedi. Woo hoo! I need little things to keep me motivated along the way. I think your 25 pounds by Christmas is perfect!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    I never set any goals,I just go with the flow
  • I see a lot of people with mini goals, but there are also groups that have mini goals together that you can join, like lose 5% of your body weight and move 100 miles by halloween. i have one goal. but i think the mini goals have a nice thought to them.
  • hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 154 Member
    I think setting mini goals is great because when you reach those goals throughout it helps encourage you to continue on to meet your final goal. Good luck!!!
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    There is no right or wrong when setting targets, if you are comfortable with short term then fine, If you lose weight but don't reach your target in time don't worry because you have lost weight, I've always mainatined this is a lifestyle change not a diet or a race to lose weight its a process of healthy weight loss by portion control and execise.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,648 Member
    I set my goals according to how much I've projected myself to lose a week--in my case, around 2 lbs. I would go off that with how many weeks are left in the year, and let that determine whether it's a realistic goal. Also, take into account how well you're eating and exercising, because that also has an impact. Expect to lose 1-2 lbs. when you're staying on track as opposed to the .5-1 lb. or less you'll be losing if you're not.

It's a good idea to have mini goals as well as an ultimate goal because you don't get too overwhelmed and fixated on that jump from where you are now to the final goal. It can sometimes be discouraging and sabotage your forward progress. Mini goals allow you to see what you've done so far in a real way, and help you keep going. I personally think your first goal of 25 lbs. by Christmas is a great one.

I hope this helped and good luck!! :)
  • 25 lbs. by Christmas is totally reasonable, if you plan on losing 2 lbs. per week, but this can be a tough pace to keep up, so just be gentle with yourself. :) It's honestly about finding whatever goal you find motivational. As you go, it'll become clearer what works best for you personally. With that in mind, mini- goals are useful, because they keep you on track for your long- term goal and remind you what you're working for, especially when the payoff can seem so far away. Also, I attach little treats or gifts to each mini- goal, so there's extra incentive (I do a nice dinner out with my husband or a new book (I'm a nerd) at every 5 pounds lost, for example). That way, even if you don't *see* the results right away, it still feels like you're being rewarded for your hard work. You'll figure it out! Hang in there. :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Starting out I have an overall end goal in mind... when I plan my days I can reference that overall goal. Will this chocolate bar make it easy for me to reach that goal? Yes... fine... no... then do I really need it? Sometimes the really need it answer is yes so I have one as long as it fits in my calories for that day.

The end goal IS a long way away so I have mini-goals along the way so I can have the successes along the way.
    If I aim for 125 lbs lost overall and I end up at only 100 have I really "lost" anything by working towards it but not reaching? I think not. Same as savings I'd rather aim for 10K in savings and "end up" having only 7K rather than never starting at all because 10K feels like so much
  • aim2lose
    aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
    I personally prefer small goals when it comes to weight. I know what I would like the final weight to be but I break it down. My first goal was 12 pounds by September 15; though I'm not going to make it, I'm not letting it get me discouraged as it was fairly aggressive (12 pounds in 6 weeks). I'm close though. After that my goals are 5 pounds per month. I know what I want to see on the scale the 15th of each month. I break it down into 5 pound increments.

I also do weekly mini challenge goals with a great group of ladies. It's a big help to me though the past 2 weeks I didn't do as well as I would have liked, this week I'm feeling much better about reaching my mini challenges.
  • Whitty1982
    Whitty1982 Posts: 30 Member
    I'd recommend setting a primary goal and then setting smaller goals between the start and end goal.

For example, if your goal was to lose 100 lbs total - then setting a 25lbs goal by Christmas would be reasonable. Just be sure to stick to it. Once you hit each goal, it becomes easier and then you know you're making progress.

The biggest part of it is to have a plan to reach that goal and stick to it.

If you don't have a plan, you'll get discouraged real quick. It's too easy to divert away from your diet because of special circumstances. Someone will always have a party, birthday, celebration, whatever that will tempt you to break your path in route to your goal. Also be sure not to reward yourself with food when you do reach a goal. Personally, that's what got me to where I am now while in college. Every time I did something well like pass a test or something - I went out to eat and went crazy on the food. That kinda set the stage for eating poorly during other times while in college. I gained almost 130 lbs between freshman year and graduation.

You have to find out what works for you. My wife and I did personal trainers, weight watchers, etc.
    For some reason we never hit our goals. Probably because while we were with a personal trainer - we never had a food goal. While we were with weight watchers, we never really had a work out goal. It was weird how it worked out and how our thought process was back then. We were spinning our tires and getting no where fast.

This time around, our doc recommended a modified Atkins diet. We both lost 15 lbs within the first two weeks and have been constantly losing since then with a couple slow spots (weren't getting enough fat in our diet)
    It's been pretty easy to follow and maintain - the hart part now is working out on a regular basis because our schedules are so crazy. I keep trying to tell myself - just 30 mins a day will make a big difference but I'm still trying to figure out what 30 mins I can use without giving up sleep.
  • This really helps! I in the end want to loose about 130 lbs and i realize this will take a LONG time and I am okay with that.

25 lbs by Christmas....no problem! I am eating better, exerciseing on a regular basis and getting my general life back to "normal"

Thanks everyone :)