Thoughts on coffee during weight loss

Options
I have tried to cut down on coffee and have actually managed to drop to 3 Styrofoam cups a day (honestly more like 1 and 1/2 cups as i fill the cup half with coffee and the rest with water.) as Im told drinking too much coffee will harm your attempts at weight loss.

Any of you vets have an opinion on this/ Id love to hear from those who have successfully reached their goals or are close, but any opinion is welcomed.

Thanks all

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Coffee doesn't harm your weight loss, it's what you put in the coffee that can affect your calorie intake and put you over what you should be consuming.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have tried to cut down on coffee and have actually managed to drop to 3 Styrofoam cups a day (honestly more like 1 and 1/2 cups as i fill the cup half with coffee and the rest with water.) as Im told drinking too much coffee will harm your attempts at weight loss.

Any of you vets have an opinion on this/ Id love to hear from those who have successfully reached their goals or are close, but any opinion is welcomed.

Thanks all

I just read an article in TIME written by Dr. Oz and it is his opinion that caffeine actually helps with weight-loss. Obviously, everything in moderation.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert...but I'll never give up my coffee! I drink 2 cups every morning (three on the weekends) with an occasional/rare extra cup or two every now and again.

I'm losing weight...
  • joejccva71
    Options

Thanks all

I just read an article in TIME written by Dr. Oz and it is his opinion that caffeine actually helps with weight-loss. Obviously, everything in moderation.

Caffeine is a stimulant which supresses hunger resulting in a person eating less calories per day which can cause weight loss.
  • pinkandstars09
    Options
    i wont cut coffee but i cut out creamer. =)
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    3 cups daily with sweet n low. No creamer, it's dangerous!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Not having coffee during my weight loss would have caused harm to others! I faithfully drink two large mugs each morning, sometimes a 2nd cup later in the day, and I have done fine.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options

Caffeine is a stimulant which supresses hunger resulting in a person eating less calories per day which can cause weight loss.

agreed!
  • wanderingwest
    Options
    I drink one cup of coffee every day. I even put (light) cream in it AND sugar. I have lost 16 lbs. I include it in my calorie allowance (of course). I enjoy my coffee too much to let it go. I think I would feel deprived if I didn't allow myself this one treat. I just follow the rule "anything in moderation"! Good luck.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Coffee is bad for you, but OJ will kill you.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the coffee itself is fine-- in fact, caffeine is a major ingredient in many weight-loss aids. Just cut back on the sugar and creamer, and you should be fine. :)

I have either coffee or tea pretty much every morning. I only put two sugars and some 2% milk in my coffee, which I estimate is about 45 calories. This is MUCH improved from my old coffee routine, which involved 4 sugar packets and generous half-and-half. Haha!

One of these days I'll probably cut it down to one sugar per cup... or perhaps I'll buy some stevia to sweeten it with. :)
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Coffee is bad for you, but OJ will kill you.

Win.
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee drinker! Just like the others, I cut back on the amount of cream and sugar. The only reason I tried to cut back on the coffee because I felt like it was keeping up at night, therefore not having enough energy to workout during the following day, which indirectly affected my weight lost. But coffee really doesn't have any calories. If you can stand try it "Black"
  • amber_burke
    Options
    I'm with you, I love my coffee! I haven't given up coffee, but I have given up on creamers! That's what makes it bad......now I just drink my coffee with a little splenda or some sugar-free caramel syrup (also calorie-free)
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ everything said so far! HAVE your coffee!! What do you put in it? If you drink it black or even w/ some skim milk and/or splenda (etc) I wouldn't blink an eye. Go for it and just watch your calories. Calories in, calories out. =)
  • meowow
    meowow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    it makes me poop! weight loss indeed..but not fat :-X tehe
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've managed to lose 40lbs in 6months drinking 3-4 cups a day. I only sweeten with stevia and don't add creamer. So really it's what you put in it that would effect the weight loss. Now, I do think that caffeine can effect other aspects such as blood pressure and the like, so if you are dealing with those issues, then I would be careful, but if it's just the weight loss effects you are worried about then I'd say don't worry.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee every morning with (GASP!!!) real sugar and have lost almost 30 pounds. Like everything, drink in moderation and make sure you log the calories.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    it makes me poop! weight loss indeed..but not fat :-X tehe

Yeah, coffee and my stomach don't get along. I get the bubble guts right away. But if I take caffeine pills, my stomach is fine. It's weird.
  • Somnifac
    Somnifac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Won't give up my tea or coffee. A little Splenda, no creamer and I'm good.